Geroge A. Romero new zombie movie: SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the problem with Romero's newer movies are that he is trying to get too creative with Zombie stories with too many unnecessary sub-plots and characters. If he sticks to the basic blueprint he created with Night Dawn and even Day (barricade and siege) his movies would still be gold.

I thought the exact opposite. NOTLD was about racism and segregation. Dawn was about consumerism. Day was about military abuse of power. Land was about the growing gaps in the class system - poor, middle class, rich. Diary was about the world's reliance on media. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out WTF George was trying to say with Survival.

I thought the exact opposite. NOTLD was about racism and segregation. Dawn was about consumerism. Day was about military abuse of power. Land was about the growing gaps in the class system - poor, middle class, rich. Diary was about the world's reliance on media. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out WTF George was trying to say with Survival.

He was trying to say zombie should ride more horses!!!!! :slap

ahh man....so theres zombies riding horses...uh...
That makes me think of Tombs of the Blind dead...they rode horses, but at the same time they were templar knights but still...Im going to have to avoid this thread til tomorrow night. Good times my friends.

ahh man....so theres zombies riding horses...uh...
That makes me think of Tombs of the Blind dead...they rode horses, but at the same time they were templar knights but still...Im going to have to avoid this thread til tomorrow night. Good times my friends.

Just watch the movie. Then we'll co-create the George A. Romero's Official Support Group thread. :lol

Jesus...Christ...its 3:09 and I just finished watching Survival of the Dead. Well gentlemen that was a very hard movie to get thru. Overall...it sucked.

There really wasnt anything even memorable about it...no stand out zombies and no stand out zombie kills at least that I can remember....almost forgot...jesus...the horse riding zombie wtf was that crap. I get the whole...its instictual to do what they "enjoyed" doing before they died its what they know but come on riding horses...

This is easily the weakest and most forgetable of the series. The CG was horrible the story...whatever that might have been was crap as well.

After work I ended up going to walmart and seen the bluray the 2 disc special edition and the basic for $13...knowing what I knew I was like i'll pick up the basic edition. Holy crap am I glad I didnt waste my money so to speak and get any of the other versions. This easily should have been a $10 flick at the most.

I would normally jump on buying a zombie flick (Romero) as soon as it was available to purchase, but after seeing this movie on Dish, I will have to force myself to buy it. The way I'm looking at it, I just don't want a hole in the story line.

I think Romero is a perfectly competent filmmaker . . . but a terrible writer. Most of his films are dull and plodding and the interpersonal relationships and dialogue are just plain awful. The non-zombie movies he's written are beyond unbearable.

He gets far too much credit for his "social commentary", particularly in NotLD. The part of Ben was not written as a Afro-centric character, Romero just cast the best actor he could find for the role and that person just happened to be black. People see what they what to see in NotLD in relation to the racism message. Now George feels obligated to carry on this ham-fisted charade in every flick. He's totally out of touch . . . the Reagan-era message in LotD was only 20 years late.

Romero is the accidental "Grandfather of the Zombie movie" IMO. By his own admission he's stated that his NotLD was basically a rip-off of the Vincent Price flick "Last Man On Earth" which itself was an adaptation of Richard Matheson's classic novella "I Am Legend".

Last edited:
I agree that Romero gets more adoration than he deserves. Reminds me a lot of M Night Shamalamadingdong, they both made 2 good flicks and sailed on that success for to long.

I'm not trying to deny Romero his legacy or anything, I just think his biggest contribution to the genre has been the inspiration he's provided to other creative people.

He gets far too much credit for his "social commentary", particularly in NotLD. The part of Ben was not written as a Afro-centric character, Romero just cast the best actor he could find for the role and that person just happened to be black. People see what they what to see in NotLD in relation to the racism message. Now George feels obligated to carry on this ham-fisted charade in every flick. He's totally out of touch . . . the Reagan-era message in LotD was only 20 years late.

That wasn't the message he was sending with LotD. No wonder you didn't get it. There were two agendas in that flick and neither were taking a jab at Reaganomics. One was Romero's, about the growing gap between the class systems, and the other was Hoppers, who was spoofing Rumsfeld. It's the overacting bull____ "we've heard it 100 times before Mr. Trendy" political message of the latter that really kept LotD impotent.

The message for Diary was about our reliance on media. That's why it worked. There was no message to Survival that I could tell, which is why it didn't. I've yet to object myself to self inflicted torture and watch the film with George's commentary to see if there was a message, or if he just wanted to do a gaggy "western w/zombies" type story.

Last edited:
I never saw Romero's big three movies as presenting some big social commentary. If there was any message I personally felt was portrayed in NOTLD it was people's ever growing fear of radiation, science, nuclear anhillation and technology growing out of control and mutating emerging from prople's fears of the 50s and 60s.

To me these movies will just be primarily and prodominently incredibly well made barricade and siege Zombie movies. And I fully believe no Zombie Movie will ever compare to the original NOTLD IMHO and this will remain my all time favorite horror movie and story.

Granted I fully agree the story from NOTLD was heavily influenced by Mattheson's "I am Legend" and the cinemotography was influenced by "The last Man on Earth" (see my post in the which NOTLD is best thread). But even though GR's ghouls were similar to the vampires in Legend and Romero did adopt Matheson's concept of survival in an apocolyptic world overrun by monsters, Romero was able to create an original type of "monster" and managed to create a new story that stands the test of time and his interpretation worked very well and came off as very original in its own right.

Last edited:
Jesus...Christ...its 3:09 and I just finished watching Survival of the Dead. Well gentlemen that was a very hard movie to get thru. Overall...it sucked.

There really wasnt anything even memorable about it...no stand out zombies and no stand out zombie kills at least that I can remember....almost forgot...jesus...the horse riding zombie wtf was that crap. I get the whole...its instictual to do what they "enjoyed" doing before they died its what they know but come on riding horses...

This is easily the weakest and most forgetable of the series. The CG was horrible the story...whatever that might have been was crap as well.

After work I ended up going to walmart and seen the bluray the 2 disc special edition and the basic for $13...knowing what I knew I was like i'll pick up the basic edition. Holy crap am I glad I didnt waste my money so to speak and get any of the other versions. This easily should have been a $10 flick at the most.

I tried to warn you guys! :lol

I tried to warn you guys! :lol

Nah, it needs to be watched.... once. :lol

The interview with George pissed me off. Basically, we got this turd because he was too ____ing lazy to make anything better. Additionally, the CG is explained again... laziness. He even slights Tom Savini on an effect saying Tom couldn't do it practically. I think George is suffering from Dementia. He closed saying he's got two more stories in his head for the "____ of the Dead" series. Can't wait for him to run the franchise into the ground. :monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

Interesting note: Sarge has now appeared in three Dead flicks. In chronological order, he goes from Diary, to Survival and appears in Land as well.

Went out to pick up a copy for my collection today, but just could not pull the trigger. I'll wait til it's on sale.

Yeah I'll say im glad I have it in my collection because no matter how aweful it is its a zombie flick and it belong next to my other zombie flicks. Its just sad that this movie sucked so bad.

Back