Geroge A. Romero new zombie movie: SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No U.S. release date for this is there? Even a bad Romero zombie movie is better than most movies anyway....

I actually really like Diary of the Dead. I saw it at Sundance with a crowd of zombie fans. I think the fact the audience was so in to it really helped. We got all of the jokes and laughed at the awesome deaths.

Based off of that statement, you CLEARLY haven't seen many zombie movies. :lol
Compared to the Uwe Boll and Sci-Fi Channel stuff, yes, of course, Diary of the Dead is good. But it is complete ^^^^ compared to anything else Romero has done, IMO, and does tread dangerously close to being DTV quality. It is crap. And I am a huge George Romero fan, so I'm not one to criticize him without reason. That was the most disappointing film I've seen in ages, but with Romero, I couldn't help but set my expectations really high. With this one, I'll stay cautiously optimistic until I see more.

He's doing ANOTHER zombie movie?? Wow, talk about a 1 trick pony...
Hey, if he is good at it (generally) and if it works for him, why not? Though I think Romero can do other kinds of movies equally well when he puts his mind to it. I actually like Knightriders as much as some of his zombie stuff, and Martin was also very good. The Crazies wasn't half bad, either.

I certainly hope so, that wasn't his best effort.

...it blew Land of the Dead away. At least Diary had "zombies" not smart dead things. Not sure why everyone knocks Diary, I thought it was really good. Plus Romero even made remarks about the "running zombie" within the movie. I mean come on.

...it blew Land of the Dead away. At least Diary had "zombies" not smart dead things. Not sure why everyone knocks Diary, I thought it was really good. Plus Romero even made remarks about the "running zombie" within the movie. I mean come on.

:lecture :lecture :lecture Going strictly off of Romero movies, Land is by far the worst, with it's blatant political fingerpointing. His movies work best when it's subtle and gives one to ponder on the "hidden" message. Compared to other zombie flicks though, really, the only two that hold any weight to Romero's are remakes of his own work, the DotD remake, and Savini's NotLD remake.

I really loved Land, personally. Even if you are gonna get hung up on the admittedly hand-fisted political side of it, based on the characters and characterizations, the mood and cinematic merits broadly, the acting, and zombie parts (possibly the most important component), Land is leagues better than Diary, in my opinion. Of course, this is all completely subjective, but I think Diary failed in just about every possible way. It looked and felt nothing like any previous Romero work.

Also, the "smart zombie" started with Day, of course. So if you want to knock Bub, you just go ahead. :mad:

I really loved Land, personally. Even if you are gonna get hung up on the admittedly hand-fisted political side of it, based on the characters and characterizations, the mood and cinematic merits broadly, the acting, and zombie parts (possibly the most important component), Land is leagues better than Diary, in my opinion. Of course, this is all completely subjective, but I think Diary failed in just about every possible way. It looked and felt nothing like any previous Romero work.

Also, the "smart zombie" started with Day, of course. So if you want to knock Bub, you just go ahead. :mad:

I dunno. Something about Hopper's overacting, hell, even the zombies themselves, just didn't work. This probably won't make sense, but they (zombies) just seemed too "clean." It felt like they gave Romero millions of dollars to do LotD and then an opinion for every dollar given. It just didn't have that guerrilla feel that it should've and seemed more about Hopper's blatant lampooning of Rumsfeld, than about a group of survivors running from zombies.

I can understand Hopper's character as being a major reason people dislike the movie, but I personally dig it. I like Blue Velvet a lot, as well.

Well, I think he did what he was asked to do. You want him to do hyped up, bat-^^^^ crazy? He can do that for you. He was a caricature, but the same holds for his role in Velvet, and in Apocalypse Now. That's kind of Hopper's shtick, in my mind.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/4TAixFYnDh4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/4TAixFYnDh4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Totally agree about Night, Dawn, and Day being his best, though.

Back