Gentle Giant's Vintage 12" Star Wars Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least you guys didn't pay the $200.00 that BBTS was asking.

Have to say, though, I kinda dislike that abbreviated packaging. I thought the whole point of, to put it politely, charging a premium for a severely inarticulate/undetailed figure was nostalgia. IIRC, blue Snaggletooth never came on a card, but that never stopped Hasbro from exploiting the Vintage line (in a good way, IMO) to incorporate new characters on the classic cards.

What sucks is I pre-ordered the SDCC 12" Snaggletooth, which cost me an extra $15 shipping and I could have just walked up and easily bought one while at SDCC. :gah:

I did the same thing, except I went up to the Gentle Giant booth when no one was in line, asked if I could buy the thing right then & there, go back to the hotel, get online and cancel my order. They said "yep! And if, for whatever reason, you can't get the order canceled, just bring this back to us unopened for a refund before the end of show."

So I bought it, went back to the hotel, canceled my order, and hurrah! Something went right! :)

- MJ

Here's a quick iPhone picture.

642637a2.jpg

Nice, Waller! This one is tempting me for some reason...

did the card style change for these?..........this one is more narrow.

cuz he's special or something?.....:dunno

He's a grail for the vintage line, so he's a cool figure to get if you want one from GG's line.

did the card style change for these?..........this one is more narrow.

cuz he's special or something?.....:dunno

He was never a carded figure since he came with the Sears cantina set, so GG did a simple card this time.

He gets to ride on the "short card" because he's special.

:lol

I think packaging alone is a deterrent for me with this line... Of course, Shropt's framing idea was pretty kick ass.

Getting them undamaged was a challenge with this line, but Shropt's framing the card was a kickass idea. If I had a favorite character, I would definitely go that route.

True, but Blue Snaggletooth is the only one I have now. I'm planning on betting the 4 cantina aliens and the Sears cardboard backdrop.

He's about the only one that doesn't scream "overscale vintage figure" for inclusion in my Jabba set-up. Just not quite as instantly recognizable as the others (to me - I never had this guy as a kid) and the two snaggs were the most "realistic" sculpts of the 1978 creatures (always loved Red snagg's feet.)

I was going to do a custom 12" Blue Snagg, then I realized the custom heads look pretty much like blown up vintage snagg heads. I may try this guy in the fabric blue jumpsuit I have and put him with the Sideshow figs!

If I could get these at around $30-40, I would get more - not at $70 though.

Bluesnags should have just come in bag if they wanted to stay true to Vintage line.

That would have been pretty cool IMO

Personally, even as a kid I wished these figures were better quality and more detailed, so I have little nostalgia for these giant representations. Even if I did, though, I'd still find them way too expensive in relation to what you can get for $40.00 or $50.00 more. Basically it's inconceivable to me that I'd get two of these as opposed to getting another SS Tusken, Sandtrooper, Snowtrooper or E-Web.

Personally, even as a kid I wished these figures were better quality and more detailed, so I have little nostalgia for these giant representations. Even if I did, though, I'd still find them way too expensive in relation to what you can get for $40.00 or $50.00 more. Basically it's inconceivable to me that I'd get two of these as opposed to getting another SS Tusken, Sandtrooper, Snowtrooper or E-Web.

I feel the same way... Still, Hoth Han might be tough for me to pass up since it was a favorite of mine as a kid.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I still have some favourites that I felt at the time that Kenner got 'right', like Hammerhead and Greedo (loved the blue on Hammerhead and how he was always looking slyly to the side, along with Greedo's whole outfit -- love those greens!), but this hobby is so expensive and space consuming that I just can't justify $70.00 - $80.00 on these guys.

Plus, as I said, even as a lad I had some problems with the figures, like R2's torso details being a 2D sticker, the Stormies yellowing and the chrome coming off C-3PO and the Deathstar droid. I remember thinking at the time that I'd like to be a toy designer when I grew up so I could make better stuff, but alas, it was not to be. :monkey2

Kenner got them all right in my eyes. There aren't any other toys from that time that made me go back and buy mint versions of every one. :lecture

Back