General NBA Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: NBA 2012-2013

all pretty true...

LOS ANGELES -- Dwight Howard’s old avatar on Twitter used to be a picture of him in a Los Angeles Lakers uniform with the retired jerseys of George Mikan, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Shaquille O’Neal hanging behind him.

Howard was expected to follow the Lakers’ Hall of Fame lineage of centers but decided to leave L.A. less than a year after joining the team to sign with the Houston Rockets last week.

The two living legends in Howard’s old avatar, which he immediately changed after committing to Houston, have not taken the news well.

On Monday, Abdul-Jabbar chimed in on Twitter and Facebook and wrote, “Dwight Howard is a perfect example of the fact that ‘potential has a shelf life.’ Laker fans should be patient and allow Mitch & company to prepare themselves to do some serious work in the free agent market.”

O’Neal, while speaking at Daytona International Speedway on Saturday, said he wasn’t surprised by Howard’s decision to take less money to leave Los Angeles for a smaller market.

"It was expected," O’Neal said. "We've all been in L.A., and not a whole lot of people can handle being under the bright lights. Everybody wants to do it, but when you get there, there are certain pressures. I think it was a safe move for him to go to a little town like Houston. That's right, little town. I said it."

Both O’Neal and Abdul-Jabbar were critical of Howard even before he decided to leave the Lakers.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar. “He's charming, he's charismatic, very nice young man,” Abdul-Jabbar said. “Maturity-wise, he doesn't get it."

When Abdul-Jabbar was asked about teaching Howard the sky hook, he said, “At least he'd have an offensive move.

“He gets the ball on offense, oh my God, he doesn't know what to do. It's usually a turnover, people come and take the ball from him or tie his arms up. Offensively, he doesn't get it. Hasn't made any progress. We (the Lakers, when Abdul-Jabbar was a special assistant coach) played them in '09, and when I saw him this past season, he was the same player.”

O’Neal was just as harsh in his criticism of Howard when he was on ESPNLA 710 last month.

“He's too nice," O'Neal said. "I'm a connoisseur of giggling and playing and all that and making you laugh and playing with the fans, but when I cross that line, I'm ready to tear your face off. I don't care who it is. You could put one of my aunts or uncles out there, and I'm going to give him these elbows in their chest and I'm going to throw it down in their face. That's what you have to do. ... He's just too nice. If I was him, I would get into the same mood I was in."

2 year 24 mill offer to Bynum from cavs.. shocking, but not

Yeah I researched that earlier. The problem they are having is that their is a team option for the second year and it involves a lot of incentives.

Bynum wants a one year deal to be available for next year's FA market.

all pretty true...

LOS ANGELES -- Dwight Howard’s old avatar on Twitter used to be a picture of him in a Los Angeles Lakers uniform with the retired jerseys of George Mikan, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Shaquille O’Neal hanging behind him.

Howard was expected to follow the Lakers’ Hall of Fame lineage of centers but decided to leave L.A. less than a year after joining the team to sign with the Houston Rockets last week.

The two living legends in Howard’s old avatar, which he immediately changed after committing to Houston, have not taken the news well.

On Monday, Abdul-Jabbar chimed in on Twitter and Facebook and wrote, “Dwight Howard is a perfect example of the fact that ‘potential has a shelf life.’ Laker fans should be patient and allow Mitch & company to prepare themselves to do some serious work in the free agent market.”

O’Neal, while speaking at Daytona International Speedway on Saturday, said he wasn’t surprised by Howard’s decision to take less money to leave Los Angeles for a smaller market.

"It was expected," O’Neal said. "We've all been in L.A., and not a whole lot of people can handle being under the bright lights. Everybody wants to do it, but when you get there, there are certain pressures. I think it was a safe move for him to go to a little town like Houston. That's right, little town. I said it."

Both O’Neal and Abdul-Jabbar were critical of Howard even before he decided to leave the Lakers.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar. “He's charming, he's charismatic, very nice young man,” Abdul-Jabbar said. “Maturity-wise, he doesn't get it."

When Abdul-Jabbar was asked about teaching Howard the sky hook, he said, “At least he'd have an offensive move.

“He gets the ball on offense, oh my God, he doesn't know what to do. It's usually a turnover, people come and take the ball from him or tie his arms up. Offensively, he doesn't get it. Hasn't made any progress. We (the Lakers, when Abdul-Jabbar was a special assistant coach) played them in '09, and when I saw him this past season, he was the same player.”

O’Neal was just as harsh in his criticism of Howard when he was on ESPNLA 710 last month.

“He's too nice," O'Neal said. "I'm a connoisseur of giggling and playing and all that and making you laugh and playing with the fans, but when I cross that line, I'm ready to tear your face off. I don't care who it is. You could put one of my aunts or uncles out there, and I'm going to give him these elbows in their chest and I'm going to throw it down in their face. That's what you have to do. ... He's just too nice. If I was him, I would get into the same mood I was in."

:lecture
So so true from the mouth of HOFer's

What's crazy is that Blake Griffin is developing more offensive moves than Dwight at this point.

Yea and I can see him getting better. Plus his commercials are pretty good :clap

UVO take me back to the 2009 ECFs.

ajameshoward.jpg

Lots of hating on Howard from former Lakers players and fans(understandably), but this mad mouthing won't be happening if he chose to stay in LA. I mean if the guy was this God awful why would you ever have wanted him to stay?

He's an awesome talent, but seems to be an underachiever. Honestly, I would rather have guys who worked hard and fell short on my team than guys who could be amazing if they wanted to but were too lazy or disinterested. And I can't imagine that he had a positive effect on the locker room.

Lots of hating on Howard from former Lakers players and fans(understandably), but this mad mouthing won't be happening if he chose to stay in LA. I mean if the guy was this God awful why would you ever have wanted him to stay?

I wanted him for his great rebounding and solid shot blocking, because of that id still take him back... but there was a glaring problem with his offense and his attitude about it..

The Rockets are going to be fine, and very fun to watch. I hope Dwight Howard can get back on track, this past year has just been a hate fest for Dwight.

The Lakers are going to be fine too, maybe not this year, but next summer is going to be a FA gold mine and LA has a knack for luring the best of the best out there.

I'm not saying Howard is blameless and some kind of hero here, but if Jabbar and Shaq hate your guts, I don't consider that to be the most horrible indictment of a player in the world. It's not like Coach K and Grant Hill came out and called him a POS.
I was thinking the same thing. It seems like no one takes those guys seriously at this point for one reason or another.

Shaq broadcasting comes off to me as if he wants to be Barkley by saying provocative things that are "honest," but he's nowhere near as smart or insightful as Barkley, so he just comes off as a dufus.

but there are truths to what they say..

howard was very disappointing with his offensive play.. he gets stripped all the time.. or fouled and you know what happens there..not sure how you blame the coach for that..

If he isn't involved offensively he pouted throughout the game, I hate that ****.. he got plenty of touches.. also, how many blatant goaltending block shot calls did you see a game 2 or 3, another peeve of mine.. when he got clean blocks he felt the need to tattoo the ball and send it into the stands when he could have just controlled it..

I'm ok with him moving on, he lacked passion and wants control over something (offense) that quite honestly he's not very good at. If Houston can get his head straight they'll have a very good player. Just not someone you can go to in the crunch, and if its towards the end will be a bit of a liability (hack'a'howard is very effective)

call me jealous or what you will, but like what Shaq and Kareem mentioned, It's all true.. I couldn't tell you how many times my childhood idol (worthy) said during the broadcast he wants to grab howard by the ears and shake him.. He doesn't get it..

Kobe ran off Shaq and he pretty much ran off Dwight also.

Just saying.

Back