General Custer has arrived!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe I have determined that it was used on Custer because of his long hair in the back. If you look at the figure in the back there is a space between the hair and the neck. This I assume is to be used to tuck the top part of the shirt up into and does lead to an incredable effect of realism with the shirt being inbetween the back of the hair and neck. This effect could not be obtained on a tradional head sculpt.

I am almost 100 percent sure now this is why Custer has the seperated neck from head sculpt.

That may be, although Van Helsing and Liam/Angelus also have long hair and still have the traditional head/neck in the same sculpt. I'll post the question in Ask Sideshow.

I decided to send this point out to Michael Crawford today on the neck and hair thing and this was his reply:

"Yep - they wrote me again and confirmed that as well.

Michael
MWC"

And here was the first point that Michael was going to check into a few days ago with Sideshow for his upcoming review:

"It isn't rotocast - they aren't doing that anymore. I haven't opened mine yet though, so I can't say what's up with the neck. It may be that this is how the ball jointed necks look versus the cut joint necks though.

Michael
MWC"

I agree with many of the points brought up here. The separate head from the neck almost assuredly is because of the long hair. The boots don't really bother me as Custer worn many different styles but as WestDan pointed out, the taller dragoon boots wer Autie's favorite.

What bother me is the holster. What is up with that? :puke On mine the strap is attached to the back of the holster and the closing pin on the front flap itself!!! Good thing we have Battlegear, His Officer's belt and holster is killer. Although I prefer Sideshow's buckle more.

I love the large "sombrero" style hat and all it's detail. The braid detail on the pants is also very nice. I am amazed at the necktie badge as well. As WestDan had mentioned, the paint job on this figure is well done as well. I love that killer resin head of Dan's, I'm going to have to do one of those as well.

Andy

I've now got the Battle Gear belt and confederate sword on my display Custer. I really am impressed with not only the painting of the new Custer but the modified head sculpt as I think Matt Falls really got the younger Civil War Custer spot on with this offering. I've got the Civil war head sculpt that Andy painted from drastic plastic but may use it on a non Little Bighorn version of the indian wars Custer I am working on. The resemblance to Custer on this last offering is far closer to Custer than was the six Gun legends version.

I've had a slight problem with the sword and belt from battle gear as there was no way to fasten it to the belt. The belt had one loop and the sword did not have any so I had to get some wire and make my own loop for the new Battle gear sword. The pistol from battle gear is really nice but I will have to drill out the end as it is solid at the end of the barrel.

As I have stated many times, if you do not have any problems with buying General Sherman, he does come with an extra set of longer cavalry boots that are perfect for the custer figure. So get a Sherman figure while you can on ebay as I just got one for only 20 dollars last week.

The current status of my display custer is I now have the taller boots on him, I've got the battle gear pistol, holster, belt and confederate officer sword (he carried a confederate captured sword on his belt accoding to Andy). Things I still need to do are change all of the buttons to the special Battle gear US buttons and figure out a way to make my own officer shoulder boards with general stars.

As a side note, I ordered several of the General Custer uniforms for only 5.95 from Monkey depot that seemed to be a great deal as they come with his coat, pants, shirt and most importantly his scarf with that necktie badge. I actually only wanted the scarf and necktie as I want to use this combination on my custom western Custer drastic Plastic Little Bighorn version. However I may still be able to use the extra uniforms and shirts for some other civil war kitbash someday.

The Civil War line is great. I wish I could afford, and had space, to get more of them. I only have 5.

Back