Gene Hunt: BBC "Life on Mars"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you go about buying the Gene sculpt ? I've tried a PM but can't get a response :(

I think right now, Spencer is just seeing how many people are interested. He will eventually sell it but because he has other sculpts he has to finish first (i.e. The Beetles HS), it will take him a while before he can finish Gene.

I think right now, Spencer is just seeing how many people are interested. He will eventually sell it but because he has other sculpts he has to finish first (i.e. The Beetles HS), it will take him a while before he can finish Gene.

He is selling it now. I know because I paid for mine a month ago. Someone on one of his other threads said Spenser has been out of town, but should be back tomorrow or soon after that.

He is selling it now. I know because I paid for mine a month ago. Someone on one of his other threads said Spenser has been out of town, but should be back tomorrow or soon after that.

Thanks for the clarfication. I just asssumed that since he is busy and isn't replying to pms, he is just counting heads to see who is interested.

Like the poster Sam Tyler,I too have pmed Spencer a month ago yet haven't gotten a reply. Then again, it is my fault if I didn't receive a reply before since now that I think about it, I did say in one of the pms that I would like to send payment once I see him post a painted HS.

However, I 'm having a hard time setting money aside for something I want--I would like to send him the money for an unpainted HS right away rather than buying whatever on ebay, not having enough money once it is release, and regretting it later.

Did you sent the cash right when you pmed him or did you paid after he replied to your pm?

Last edited:
I pm'd him as soon as I saw the thread due to my love for Life on Mars and I think he got back to me the next day with payment info. I paid right away after that for an unpainted sculpt.

I also heard back from Spenser today that my Gene head is in the mail right now and I should get it this week so yay! As soon as it comes I will get to work painting and will post it as soon as I'm satisfied I won't embarrass him or me by showing it to the world.

I pm'd him as soon as I saw the thread due to my love for Life on Mars and I think he got back to me the next day with payment info. I paid right away after that for an unpainted sculpt.

I also heard back from Spenser today that my Gene head is in the mail right now and I should get it this week so yay! As soon as it comes I will get to work painting and will post it as soon as I'm satisfied I won't embarrass him or me by showing it to the world.

You're lucky you have gotten a reply from him so soon.

I was bashing a Gene Hunt figure and trying to sculpt my own personal Gene Hunt head shortly before Spenser announce this thread with pics. Since my sculpting skills is no where near as good as Spenser--I have never sculpted a head before-- I immediately pmed him about being interested in buying a head. However, I didn't get a reply. Because of that, I assume that he was too busy to reply and that he was just getting a head count on who would be interested.

I just sent pm to Spenser about the head and got a reply. Off to the bank to deposit some money for head.

Last edited:
Here are some painted pictures:

gene-head.jpg
gene-genie.jpg
gene-full-light.jpg

His coat needs buttons and maybe one more color adjustment. I might also give it working pockets. I'll switch out the blue trousers for gray ones if I can find some of right length and style. I might also give him a colored shirt. Otherwise I am very happy and can't wait for Sam!

Last edited:
It's the dragon football player body with cotton ball padding around the middle and Hot Toy hands. I actually remembered to take a before picture so you can see the unpainted sculpt on the body with a regular dragon body to show the incredible difference in height and size.

body.jpg

A regular True Type would probably work just as well and certainly would be easier to find these days, but I got the football body a couple of years ago specifically for a Gene Hunt figure, so I knew I had to use it. I just never thought I'd see a sculpt as good as Spenser's to go with it!

Cool. Funny ya mention a reg TT body because that is what I am actually using for mines. Since the HT TT suppose to be around 6 ft in 1/6 scale with head and Phillip Glenister is said to be around 6 ft to 6.2, I decided to use that. It works well since the broad shoulders combined with the black suit l am using, with cotton padded shoulder pads, gives him a bulky look. I still am thinking about adding cottom to the stomach since he looks a bit thin. Initially, I was going to use a 3.5 bbi but the hips were too bulky. I am thinkin' a slim TT might also work for a Sam Tyler bash

Here is a wip of mines:
DSCF2035.jpg

Obviously, I have to get the head painted first but am not sure if I am going to tackle it or commission someone to do it. Other than that, I have to learn how to sew, find, or commission someone to do an overcoat for me; try out some regular TT hands (the ones in the photo might be too small for him); replace his dress boots for cowboy boots (and modify the boots after l test them out); give him a belt; and either find the missing tie or buy another one on ebay

Last edited:
I think my Gene is a scale 6'4" but that's close enough for me. I think I'll use a regular Dragon for Sam. I think a HT slim might be a bit small for John Simm since he's supposed to be about 5'10".

Yay, an Ashes to Ashes Gene! The new season starts in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.

I heard somewhere Gene might be getting a new coat, but I don't know for sure. If it stays the same, I think you could probably mod a WWII German coat pretty easily. The advantage of being a big guy is it makes it a lot easier to convert a double-breasted coat to a single-breasted one just by moving the buttons around. The one I'm using for his LOM coat started as a double-breasted WWII American overcoat but once I get the buttons back on it will fit him perfectly as a single-breasted coat.

I know he sometimes wears a white shirt in AtA, but I have to say I prefer a dark shirt with [ugly] light tie look because it just screams 1980s to me.

What are you going to do for the cowboy boots? If I was going to do a 1980s Gene I would use Newline Miniature boots and just paint them the proper colors. I've done it before with other leather boots and it works just fine.

I almost forgot. I was looking at the thread for Spenser's Beatles heads and I think the Ringo would make a great Chris Skelton.

I heard somewhere Gene might be getting a new coat, but I don't know for sure. If it stays the same, I think you could probably mod a WWII German coat pretty easily. The advantage of being a big guy is it makes it a lot easier to convert a double-breasted coat to a single-breasted one just by moving the buttons around. The one I'm using for his LOM coat started as a double-breasted WWII American overcoat but once I get the buttons back on it will fit him perfectly as a single-breasted coat.

I know he sometimes wears a white shirt in AtA, but I have to say I prefer a dark shirt with [ugly] light tie look because it just screams 1980s to me.

What are you going to do for the cowboy boots? If I was going to do a 1980s Gene I would use Newline Miniature boots and just paint them the proper colors. I've done it before with other leather boots and it works just fine.

I almost forgot. I was looking at the thread for Spenser's Beatles heads and I think the Ringo would make a great Chris Skelton.

I read about the rumor about him getting a diff. coat though from the preview trailers he is seen wearing one that is black. I do not know if it is the same one he wore in previous eps or a new one that lacks the wool material.

I also like the dark color scheme and have actually obtained 2 dark shirts for for my bash but am still contemplating if I will use the dark one of the white one since the first one was crap and the newer one I bought from minibarbie via ebay is good, but uses the buttons to close the shirt I don't like the shirt he has on right now since it is too big and loose, making the white shirt underneath not pop out. However, the shirt might be better once I either use my fat suit(which I don't remember where I stored it at) or use cotton to make him fatter. I am still in the test phase, wihch why he is wearing the white shirt. I might go ahead and use the black shirt to see if that is a better fit.

As for Tyler, I thought the silm bodies would work, however, after reading your comment and using a scale caluclator, I realize 5'10 isn't az small as I thought. The pics on mwctoys (https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_111809b.htm) looks as if it could work if the the head neck is long enough. Might experiment with different bodies before I use the slim. Thanks

The newline miniture boots might work well since the pattern is similar and is black. I wonder how easy it is to paint the bottom portions of the boots in a crocadile pattern.

I was thinking about getting a pair of the triad ones, resculpt the bottom part to give it a crocadile pattern, add the vine designs on the side of of the leggings, and repaint it accordingly. That would require lots of work, however.

The Ringo sculpt would a good LOM Skelton bash. I think after Gene and obviously Tyler I will probably just make an Alex fig. I mean, I do have a jacket that resembles hers in the show, which is great since I got it around 02 out of ppl at mwd hyping the outfit.

TS-902A-B.jpg

Duck...Gene is looking GOOD! I'm envious that you scored a Dragon footballer...been looking for one of those for ages. Nice costuming on Gene, BTW. His tie is very seventies.

Can't wait to see the Sam sculpt.

Doom Saber, if your eyes are up to it, I think it would be pretty easy to paint the crocodile pattern, especially if you use textured paint and shade the colors. I've painted at least a couple of pair of real leather boots with acrylic paint and I haven't had any trouble with flaking or anything like that.

J Dog thanks. I was very lucky with the Dragon football body. I was able to get several when the football players were parted out and then later when Monkeydepot got the Army PX guys that had the same body. I've used them now for Sam from Supernatural, a custom Ethan Edwards I've been working on for going on four years, and now Gene.

I second the anticipation for Spenser's Sam head even more because I think I've got the final bit of his kit (his jacket) sorted out.

https://www.bbicn.com/smallimg/6200.jpg

I saw this on OSW earlier today. It's not released yet, but when it is, I think it will be the perfect basis for Sam's jacket once it's repainted (pleather and acrylic paint go together beautifully) and the pockets and buttons are fixed.

Here are some painted pictures:

gene-head.jpg
gene-genie.jpg
gene-full-light.jpg

His coat needs buttons and maybe one more color adjustment. I might also give it working pockets. I'll switch out the blue trousers for gray ones if I can find some of right length and style. I might also give him a colored shirt. Otherwise I am very happy and can't wait for Sam!

That is BRILLIANT :lol What shoes did you use ?

It's kind of embarrassing to admit -- especially because this is GENE HUNT we're talking about -- but those are Ken shoes from one of the higher end figures. I know they come with the Silkstone Fashion insider set, but you can also find them loose on eBay. I just repainted them and weathered them a little bit with yellow pastels for that authentic worn look. I had to trim the heels of the figure a little and then heat up the shoes to get them on, but he can wear them over socks no problem.

ETA: Here is one of the current eBay listings (nothing to do with me) so you can see what they look like in their before state.

https://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GENUINE-SI...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d23fa1735

Last edited:
It's kind of embarrassing to admit -- especially because this is GENE HUNT we're talking about -- but those are Ken shoes from one of the higher end figures. I know they come with the Silkstone Fashion insider set, but you can also find them loose on eBay. I just repainted them and weathered them a little bit with yellow pastels for that authentic worn look. I had to trim the heels of the figure a little and then heat up the shoes to get them on, but he can wear them over socks no problem.

ETA: Here is one of the current eBay listings (nothing to do with me) so you can see what they look like in their before state.

https://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GENUINE-SI...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d23fa1735

Amazing :lol Thanks.

duck...Ken shoes, that's hilarious! Hey, whatever works, man. Can't help the fact that the 70's were so STYLIN'.

Spenser...SO good to hear! Oi, now I have to decide who to blow my paycheck on first. So many heads, so little overtime...

Back