Gary Oldman in hot water!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HUH? Somebody is pissed at THAT? I didn't see anything wrong with what he said. You might be right Ween... just looking for donations.

Thanks Josh for editing my post that was completely in-line with what everyone else said. Class act!

Old man should take back his apology. He didn't say anything racist or bigoted.

Actually, there's more than what Jye posted. It's pretty bad. :lol

I see/understand his point, but there's gotta be a better way of saying it.

PLAYBOY: Is there any way the film community could have intervened to save Philip Seymour Hoffman?

OLDMAN: You can try, but you can’t stop someone, no. You have to want to do it for yourself. That’s the only way. I had heard he had run-ins with heroin and booze and things, so it wasn’t a total surprise. Tony Scott committing suicide knocked me sideways. That floored me, as did Heath Ledger. All those ridiculous stories about him being so in the character of the Joker was certainly not the person I knew. That’s sort of ludicrous, people blurring the lines and not understanding. There’s a lot of rubbish talked about acting, and it’s often propagated by practitioners of it. You just want to say, “Oh, shut up.”

:lol

PLAYBOY: How are you with money? Do you micromanage your investments?

OLDMAN: Not really, no. I don’t have a portfolio. I probably have less money than most people think I do.

PLAYBOY: So you’re not seeing much of that $10 billion?

OLDMAN: I mean, I do fine. I once parked my Porsche in George Clooney’s garage while I was away. I said thank you and he said, “It’s no inconvenience. It always makes me look good if I have two Porsches.” You know, that’s what they pay you for. But I’m not getting The Dark Knight or Harry Potter money, certainly. Daniel Radcliffe, now he’s got ****-you money.

PLAYBOY: Would it mean something to you to win an Oscar?

OLDMAN: I suppose, yeah. But who knows? Does it mean anything to win a Laurence Olivier Award or a Tony? I guess it’s peers or people acknowledging you in some way. I know it certainly doesn’t mean anything to win a Golden Globe, that’s for sure.

PLAYBOY: Why not?

OLDMAN: It’s a meaningless event. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association is kidding you that something’s happening. They’re ****ing ridiculous. There’s nothing going on at all. It’s 90 nobodies having a wank. Everybody’s getting drunk, and everybody’s sucking up to everybody. Boycott the ****ing thing. Just say we’re not going to play this silly game with you anymore. The Oscars are different. But it’s showbiz. It’s all showbiz. That makes me sound like I’ve got sour grapes or something, doesn’t it?

Actually, there's more than what Jye posted. It's pretty bad. :lol

I see/understand his point, but there's gotta be a better way of saying it.

I just read the whole thing. I still don't see the problem.

I don't think he'd be much of a fun guy though. Too intense.

What bothers me is that everyone claims to hate PC but no one has the stones to come out and support someone they disagree with for spouting their opinion without some kind of disclaimer. "I may not agree with _______ but I support his right to say it" Screw that, how about this: people can say what they want if it offends whites, Christians, Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Liberals, Conservatives, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, or Scientologists, each of those groups should ask themselves if there is a basis for the statement. Pick any one of the above group and you can instantly find a negative, and likely accurate, negative stereotype (Buddhists might be tough since they don't really bother anyone but the Communist Chinese gov't), but the fact that the truth offends someone makes the person making the statement a bad guy. I'm hoping that the calling out of PC becomes more reflexive and everyone starts calling people out on their hypersensitivity. I'm glad I'm not popular as I find most people to be pretentious.

If you guys want to know why people have to apologize and why these tiny groups have so much power,
This comedian explains it best. (I know he is talking about comedians and not actors but it still applies) These groups are very loud, they are well organized and they will go after the companies that hire the people that said these things. These actors could care less about people being offended. Again, I know this talk is about comedy, but it is a good conversation of why these offended people do what they do.

Last edited:
Thanks Josh for editing my post that was completely in-line with what everyone else said. Class act!

Old man should take back his apology. He didn't say anything racist or bigoted.

Yeah he's on a tangent today. Already threatened me with a vacation.:panic::lol

I always think its tacky when actors act like they were slumming when appearing in movies that have a huge fanbase.
I don't know if it's the fanbase, so much as a lack of respect for the material. And I'm sure most "serious" actors would think of comic book/fantasy type movies as kind of silly and beneath them. I don't really care though. If they put on good performances, as Oldman does, then he gets a paycheck and fans get good movies. Everyone wins.

Back