Gangster Squad

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad but I can understand why they are pulling that scene.

In response to tragedies, studios quickly react in order to avoid any semblance of indifference or callousness on their part. After the Trayvon Martin shooting, Fox decided they should change the name of their comedy Neighborhood Watch to simply The Watch. Warner Bros. is faced with the challenge of more than just a title change following this past Friday’s tragic shooting at a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colorado.

The studio has already removed the trailer for their upcoming 1940s crime film Gangster Squad because it features a scene where characters start firing machine guns through a movie screen into the audience. Hit the jump to find out how the studio plans to alter the actual film in order to respond to recent events. Gangster Squad is currently set to open on September 7th.

According to Variety, Warner Bros. has not only pulled the trailer because of the movie theater scene, but they plan to pull the scene from the final film. The studio is also “putting reshoot plans into motion” which means the scene must have been fairly important to the plot.

I don’t condone Warner Bros. cutting the scene (I don’t think the horrible acts of madmen should get to dictate the art of others), but the political reality is that the studios and the filmmakers would be accused of being insensitive if they decided to leave it in, and then the entire movie will be overshadowed regardless of quality. Furthermore, the studio wants the picture out this fall, and even if they delayed it until 2013, people would always make that association of someone shooting into an audience full of moviegoers. Ultimately, when looking at the ripple effect of the shooting in Colorado, reshooting a scene in a gangster movie seems relatively minor.

Sad but I can understand why they are pulling that scene.

Thats a good read. Short, but very informative and I agree with the writer about not giving in, but still having to weigh the thoughts of others. Whats the source?

Ryan Gosling is in it. While the whole cast is solid, chances are I watch it solely for the fact that he's in it.

...just being honest. :lol

____ty situation. That looked like an awesome Gangtseresque scene. Really wanted to see it....

Thats a good read. Short, but very informative and I agree with the writer about not giving in, but still having to weigh the thoughts of others. Whats the source?

Collider.com

The best website for up to the minute gossip on movies :wink1:

I heard a rumor that they're pushing this back & re-writing some of the film bc of the recent incident in Aurora. Anybody else hear this?

[edit]
Looks like it's true.
"The film will be reshot and edited after a scene where gangsters shoot automatic weapons into a crowded movie theater from behind the screen raised concern"
https://www.nydailynews.com/enterta...night-rises-shooting-aurora-article-1.1122478

IMO, since they aren't releasing this till January, I would leave the scene as is. In a year or so, some other movie will have a scene like that.

I remember after 9/11 there was talk of editing old shows and movies to take the towers out. They did with new releases that had them in it.

I think they should leave it as is and release it when they wanted to. The only people making this an issue is Warner Bros. If anything cut the scene from the trailer, but leave your movie as is. It's not like they are watching The Dark Knight Rises in the movie.

Also, when 9/11 happened, I remember studios erasing the World Trade Centers from movies and then making movies about 9/11, how backwards is that.

I have no problem with the scene in the movie and it has nothing to do what that Jack@ss did in Colorado and IMHO I think they shouldn't Fu©k with it.

I think they should leave it as is and release it when they wanted to. The only people making this an issue is Warner Bros. If anything cut the scene from the trailer, but leave your movie as is. It's not like they are watching The Dark Knight Rises in the movie.

Also, when 9/11 happened, I remember studios erasing the World Trade Centers from movies and then making movies about 9/11, how backwards is that.

I have no problem with the scene in the movie and it has nothing to do what that Jack@ss did in Colorado and IMHO I think they shouldn't Fu©k with it.

This. If anything, hold it for a few more months. But cutting the centerpiece of the film is just wrong

it would suck if they remove and re-edit this because of that nutjob. show it as it is.

IMO, since they aren't releasing this till January, I would leave the scene as is. In a year or so, some other movie will have a scene like that.

I remember after 9/11 there was talk of editing old shows and movies to take the towers out. They did with new releases that had them in it.

spiderman had some scenes with the twin towers i believe, the preview had a helicopter caught in a web between those 2 towers.

I hope the director has the balls to tell the studio they are over thinking this and he's not re-shooting or re-cutting one frame. I work on film sets and this is a hot topic of the week.

I for one thought that scene in the preview trailer looked great and now I could care less if I ever see this film. Did Warner Bros. actually see TDKR? Because it has a lot of shooting in that film.

It makes me so :gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::

If the studio doesn't mind the extra cost, I really don't see why the fans should care. So they'll reshoot it with the gunning at another location. Whoop dee doo

Back