Gandalf the Grey Maquette. Next?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought he was wearing his hat :dunno I guess you can't really see, as the photo cuts off just above his eyes.
If he was hatless, the pose would look like it was straight out of the bridge of Khazad-Dum scene :panic:

To me it appears that he is wearing his hat. I really like what I'm seeing so far but this will be pre-ordering around the time the PF is shipped. Seems like over-load to me. I may hold off on that and go for Legolas - always wanted him in Helms Deep gear!

I'm also pretty sure I'll get Arwen, maybe Gimli (I'd prefer a PF of him).

The sneak peek with the Aragorn maquette was nice, but as the Ween mentioned, Gandalf seems a little thin. I will be definitely be ordering Aragorn as Strider, but will reserve judgment / my decision on ordering until the full reveal of Gandalf. Unless it is an incredible sculpt that looks like Sir Ian McKellen, I will most likely pass for budgetary and space reasons. With all the uproar over Aragorn being done again, Gandalf is represented in my collection more than any other character. I have six representations of Gandalf in my collection (SSW Gandalf the Grey, SSW Gandalf the White, SSW Gandalf and Shadowfax, SSW "You Shall Not Pass" Wall Plaque, SS Gandalf the White PF, and SS Duel of Fire and Light diorama) with a seventh on order (SS Gandalf the Grey PF). Not sure if I need another Gandalf...

10 is a nice round number.......:monkey3

I thought he was wearing his hat :dunno I guess you can't really see, as the photo cuts off just above his eyes.
If he was hatless, the pose would look like it was straight out of the bridge of Khazad-Dum scene :panic:

I also have a few Gandalf's so may pass on this too:

SSW GTG, SSW GTW, SSW GandalFax, SSW GTG bust, SSW GTW bust, A Meeting of Old Friends plaque, bookends, Treachery of Saruman diorama and the duel of light and fire diorama.

You only have nine....see comment above :lecture

The hat is there, it doesn't exactly stand out, but it is present.

Well, I think we have been officially shown a preview of the next maquette

2000991_press09-001.jpg

200099_press12-001-1.jpg

I also have a few Gandalf's so may pass on this too:

SSW GTG, SSW GTW, SSW GandalFax, SSW GTG bust, SSW GTW bust, A Meeting of Old Friends plaque, bookends, Treachery of Saruman diorama and the duel of light and fire diorama.

In the second pic, it sort of looks like his hat is bent back...but maybe those are leaves from the tree branches.

I forgot that I have the bookends, too. That makes eight, but you're still one ahead of me, Frodo Eyes! Also I like the Gandalfax contraction!

You're right, 10 is a nice round number, Woodsy.

I might get 10 with the PF ;)

Is Trevor sculpting this too? The only human likeness from a sculptor that i have been equally impressed by is Mr. Hunt from Weta for his GTW bust :lecture

I imagine we'll find out soon enough.

Alan Hunt's GTW bust features, without a doubt [at least IMO], the best likeness ever on a SSW statue/bust. I cannot believe that was the only thing he sculpted....I would have loved to see more from him. :(

I have six representations of Gandalf in my collection (SSW Gandalf the Grey, SSW Gandalf the White, SSW Gandalf and Shadowfax, SSW "You Shall Not Pass" Wall Plaque, SS Gandalf the White PF, and SS Duel of Fire and Light diorama) with a seventh on order (SS Gandalf the Grey PF). Not sure if I need another Gandalf...

I'm with you at the moment: SSW Gandalf the Grey, White, GtW on Shadowfax, Flight From Isengard, You Shall Not Pass, Treachery of Saruman and the Bookends; not too mention how much this is similiar to the PF - which of course I will also be getting. :yess:

I can't quite tell if he is hatless in the photo leak, but the preview sketch had his hat, and this could be the exclusive feature, similar to Aragorn's hooded and non-hooded portraits.

That might mean that Gimli might be release with and without his helmet down the road.

Great! Another likeness that's hard to get which Trevor should be able to nail!!

I've also heard that a certain sculptor, working on a certain upcoming project...didn't want that info released at the moment. :slap

I hope the rocky base doesn't jack-up the price. I could see myself getting this, if we're talking the same price as Strider.

I hope the rocky base doesn't jack-up the price. I could see myself getting this, if we're talking the same price as Strider.

It'll more than likely be a bit less than Strider, as I don't see there being an excl. version.

It'll more than likely be a bit less than Strider, as I don't see there being an excl. version.

I don't see how it could be less, when there is more physical material on the Gandalf (with all that base) than the Strider. :dunno

We really like the Aragorn statue.
However, funds are very tight for us right now.
So we will be staying with the PF line.

I don't see how it could be less, when there is more physical material on the Gandalf (with all that base) than the Strider. :dunno

Polystone is basically resin with some cement dust mixed in. Sure the more polystone the heavier the statue, but that stuff is hardly expensive. There's alot more time and effort involved sculpting something like Aragorn with all the layers of clothing, bed roll, bow, quiver with arrows, etc.....

Back