Gandalf the Grey Legendary scale bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to say this is the best representation we've ever seen of Gandalf. IMO :D

Lol, I don't know, I wouldn;t go that far.... in my opinion, I would have to say the GTG SSW statue is the best, followed by the white bust then maybe the grey bust third....the statue truly is iconic - it has everything - the pipe in the staff, the sword, the robes, his little pouch, fantastic details in the face, beard and hat, and the pointing pose just makes you think that he's pointing the way for Frodo - especially if you put the Frodo statue next to him, it looks like Gandalf's telling him the way but he's drawing back, afraid, clutching onto the ring with a worried expression on his face.
The GTG statue makes me think of him in Moria for some reason....absolute perfection! AND they got Ian McKellen to pose while they sculpted it while filming on LOTR was going on!!

Lol, I don't know, I wouldn;t go that far.... in my opinion, I would have to say the GTG SSW statue is the best, followed by the white bust then maybe the grey bust third....the statue truly is iconic

Not sure I would agree with you there, I think Woodsy is right on this one, the GTG SS statue was good not great, yes it is an iconic pose but I don't know about the likeness esp in the face, similar to the GTW SS statue in that its not quite Ian McKellen IMO. I think both of the SS busts are better than the GTG statue and from what we've seen of the LS bust it has more detail and looks great so far from many different angles apart from the front high hat bit!! Its the same old story though we have to wait to see this one in hand and then decide but I really don't think that GTG statue is all that fantastic as much as I want it to be!!

Last edited:
I just know that the only Gandalf I own out of the 90+ SS/W pieces I bought is the one Oluf sculpted for the No Admittance bookends. You know, the one with zebra beard.

I missed out on the GTW bust, but could actually have bought all others, and didn't. Something felt off about all the other pieces. The statues had curious poses, the SS/W GTG bust felt too... grey.

But this thing, unlike all other Sideshow-only LOTR offerings, just felt so completely right in every way. I preordered it the first day it went up, and I feel very good about it. It seems to be the single most iconic Gandalf item one could own -- and I'm pretty certain it will be one of my most beloved collectibles of all time.

(And I do have a very high standard when it comes to Gandalf. He's my favorite Tolkien character -- by a long shot.)

Lol, I don't know, I wouldn;t go that far.... in my opinion, I would have to say the GTG SSW statue is the best

Especially if you have it in bronze!

GandalfBronze054.jpg

GandalfBronze043.jpg

GandalfBronze040.jpg

:monkey3

Okay. For $150, I couldn't refuse. Kinda makes me wanna backtrack and get the Sauron bust, but I'll never get the Cave Troll, so there's no sense trying to be a completionist. Now bring on the PF . . .

Okay. For $150, I couldn't refuse. Kinda makes me wanna backtrack and get the Sauron bust, but I'll never get the Cave Troll, so there's no sense trying to be a completionist. Now bring on the PF . . .

Why not, it is absolutely amazing! :clap Honestly, having both the LS and the SSW statue; "value" aside, they are neck and neck.

Lol, I don't know, I wouldn;t go that far.... in my opinion, I would have to say the GTG SSW statue is the best, followed by the white bust then maybe the grey bust third....

If the only criteria I was going by was composition, I would have to agree with you, as there is no doubt this is a classic, dramatic pose of Gandalf. If the only criteria I was going by was likeness, then I would have to go with the GTW bust, as the likeness to Ian McKellen is stunning.

With the LS bust you have the dramatic pose/feel usually reserved for statues and that you rarely get with busts. You have the likeness that is just a notch below that of the GTW bust and much better than the GTG statue. You have a piece that is larger and more impressive size-wise than either of these two pieces, and at $150 you have a piece that features an excl. second staff, is cheaper to purchase than the much smaller GTW bust and is
not that much more expensive than the GTG statue.

When you factor everything in, my nod goes to the LS bust. Although in reality you really can't go wrong with any of these pieces....and let's not forget to include GWOS, a truly fantastic statue!

I ordered one as well the other day. Not sure if I will keep it or not. But, now that the edition size is 450, I am glad I pre-ordered. I can always cancel later on.

:D

Back