Gandalf 12" up for order!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only the time and cost of shipping the material, but also import restrictions and such. I'd imagine that it's tougher to get stuff INTO China than it is for the factory to ship stuff out.

I've tried to make 1/6 patterns myself and I can imagine the effort that goes into reworking such complex costume pieces as are on the LotR figures. I know this line has really challenged the cut & sew teams more than any other.

Its a good point about Mokoto, $175 is a lot for what is a fairly basic figure. Very well made and tailoring looks excellent. But still, when the earlier price for those kinds of figures (Kenshiro) was $150, getting bumped up another $25 hurts.

I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to point out something in relation to the two characters mentioned above and Gandalf. The Dollar against other currency... example:

Kenshiro PreOrdered on 06/07/2007 18,000 Yen
(1 Yen = 0.0082408442 Dollars) = $148.34
Motoko PreOrdered on 02/29/2008 17,640 Yen
(1 Yen = 0095963208 Dollars) = $169.28

So, in 8 months, the price went up almost $20 just because of the falling dollar.

Today (1 Yen = 0.0100717 Dollars) so...
Kenshiro - 18000 Yen = $181.29
Motoko - 17640 Yen = $177.66

Add another month and she has gone up almost $10 more!

You don't think the falling dollar could affect the price of the standard Sideshow 12" figure, such as Gandalf, Indy and Obi-Wan? :monkey3

I actually get my salary paid in yen, so I'm very much aware of the changes in its value relative to the dollar. (As sad as it is, I do better financially when the US economy is weak.) So yes, I think it's probably a contributing factor, but you're using the example of a figure that's being imported, rather than being manufactured overseas for sale in the US. I don't really have any idea if Chinese currency has increased in value to the degree that the yen has, and I don't know how much that would affect the final price of a product produced overseas. My guess is that its effects are relatively small. After all, practically everything we buy these days is manufactured in China, but we certainly haven't seen huge jumps in the prices of consumer goods across the board.

I actually get my salary paid in yen, so I'm very much aware of the changes in its value relative to the dollar. (As sad as it is, I do better financially when the US economy is weak.) So yes, I think it's probably a contributing factor, but you're using the example of a figure that's being imported, rather than being manufactured overseas for sale in the US. I don't really have any idea if Chinese currency has increased in value to the degree that the yen has, and I don't know how much that would affect the final price of a product produced overseas. My guess is that its effects are relatively small. After all, practically everything we buy these days is manufactured in China, but we certainly haven't seen huge jumps in the prices of consumer goods across the board.

I agree that the effect is probably not as severe, but it still has an effect...

Canceled, gonna go a cheaper route for the figure.(gotta make those exclusives killer SS)Might do the same for frodo since i would only pose him with the sting anyways.

I'm still in for the exclusive... I figure if its LOTR, SW or Indy I'll go that route since I've always had them in the past.

I'm still in for the exclusive... I figure if its LOTR, SW or Indy I'll go that route since I've always had them in the past.

Me too. I'm an exclusive whore... wait, did that come out right? on 12", I only want the Ex versions. Polystone, I can do otherwise, but for something poseable, I want to leave all my options open.

Me too. I'm an exclusive whore... wait, did that come out right? on 12", I only want the Ex versions. Polystone, I can do otherwise, but for something poseable, I want to leave all my options open.
yes that sounded alright. you're a whore who likes 12 inchers. got it.:lol

sorry im i little drunk right now. better go to bed. i still have to work in the morning.

I'm curious, what costs more to develop?

a.) a mixed media 12" figure with a stock body
b.) a 1/6 fully sculpted statue

and in turn, what costs more to manufacture?

I'm going to assume research would be the same for either.

Approximately 6 years ago the Gandalf Statue retailed for $125 while currently the Gandalf 12" figure retails for $90.

Is the cost to produce and manufacture really $35 per unit less. Especially taking into account inflation, cost of materials, etc? I'm going to assume yes since I'm sure someone calculted development and manufacturing costs before coming up with a price. LOL

Gandalf the Grey

Well all this Hobbity goodness has made me even more excited for the eventual Gandalf figure that should be arriving sometime in the next fifty-two years. I can't wait to see him when I go down for SDCC, along with whatever new figures they have to announce. Man oh man, now that this collection is starting to build up I can't wait to see what more they have to offer! Frodo needs Gandalf now--the Fellowship is finally starting to build up! We're two-thirds there--so, so close!

9221_press02-001.jpg

I am expecting a Gimli announcement at SDCC...with the other remaining Hobbits coming shortly thereafter. Since the Frodo and Sam didn't sell as well as expected, I am a bit nervous about the future of the line...but if we get a few VILLIANS...orcs, goblins, uruk's, the line will quickly pick up!

Geb

I really expect all 3. Frodo and Sam may have had a few cancellations but they're being almost universally loved right now. Plus if the line did crash it would allow for the Fellowship to be complete.

Sideshow please stop being insensitive to the little guys. They are not as tall as the um.......taller guys. They need stands that fit them. Please do not provide them stands for bigger guys and expect them to use them. Remember they are little and require special love and care.

I'm really eager to Get Gandalf now that I have Frodo and Sam, he better come quicker than some of the past LOTR releases.

I really hope we have him by the end of this year! It would be so awsome to have a LOTR release just in time for the holidays!:chew

Gandalf I know is going to be one amazing figure!

Back