Premium Format Gamora (Marvel Now!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At $500+ base price I'd only get a relatively few characters...the upcoming Venom unless it's more than $500, Miles Morales Spidey, an extremely well done Magneto, Nightcrawler...just those 4 characters at this point would be $2000+.

Not much else seems worth $500+.

Bye to all the characters I wanted and hoped to one day see from sideshow...Wasp, Beast, Iceman, Blade, Kraven, Jubilee, Archangel, Professor X, Loki, Hobgoblin, Quicksilver, Falcon, Scorpion, Bishop, Mr. Sinister, Luke Cage, Hank Pym, Wonder Man, Hercules. I love my statues, collecting is fun and it's a great way to enjoy these characters but $500 can be much better spent on life experiences like vacations and trying new things. Lol.

Totally agree with this, I am at the point where statues are past the point of discretionary income expenses and would eat into my month to month livelihood. I have chosen to get fewer statues that are more bang for my buck and have more presence per unit... so on to the 1/3 prime one stuff and goodbye to $500 1/4 scale statues which will probably hit $700 by next year at this rate.

Gamora ...the deadliest woman in the universe ....she commands a hefty price! I tell ya ...she kills you with the cost, too. That price jump was a deal breaker.

Wowzers. I really wanted to get this piece but at $500 I'm very hesitant. I havnt ordered Phoenix or Captain Marvel because I wanted to see how pricing on all three played out. I thought Gamora was gonna be cheaper. So if I get the three ladies I'm looking at paying 1500 plus shipping. Like others voiced, this is getting outside my comfort zone. If I keep buying at these levels I'm not saving as much as I want, I'm taking cheaper vacations, spending less money taking the family out during the week. Don't know, not feeling as fun as it used to be.

I will say that if they if they used the same face and pose but put her in her more traditional dark assassin comic outfit than hell yeah, I would probably drop an order. This is a little to new, to trendy, for me to pay that much.

Not sure but I think some of the price increase could be attributed to XM, SSC most likely has taken notice of their price point and they seem to have no issue selling out. So why not up their prices somewhat, I know if I was SSC I'd feel like we were leaving money on the table.

Not sure but I think some of the price increase could be attributed to XM, SSC most likely has taken notice of their price point and they seem to have no issue selling out. So why not up their prices somewhat, I know if I was SSC I'd feel like we were leaving money on the table.

That's exactly it.

The fact is that buying is always up to the consumer. Bottom line, there's no one else to blame except the ones who keep buying... and I include myself in that list, of course.

Not the same. XM statues are more limited among other things. Sideshow would have to offer all the XM features and intangibles in order to justify higher prices.

Not the same. XM statues are more limited among other things. Sideshow would have to offer all the XM features and intangibles in order to justify higher prices.

Exactly! Pretty much all of the XM statues are numbered 1k or less. Sideshow statues are produced in numbers 3 in some cases 6 times that. I do think Sideshow statues look way better. XM statues to me don't look much better than a Bowen statue (except that Magneto). You used to could count on your Sideshow EX statue going for more than you paid for it but in the last couple years you'd just lose money if you tried to sell one on ebay. Hell pretty much every regular edition of the PF's are still for sale on their site. I think that would be a sign to reduce the price not raise it.

I totally agree with the XM comparisons with low quantities and more swap out features, but still a ssc piece priced at say $400 or less not that long ago is a huge bargain compared to the XM pieces and their price point. If I was at ssc and noticed the panic when XM released something i'd be taking notice of the price point difference is all.

Not saying they deserve to be the same price point, just the difference between them was way to high imo.

I know this debate has been done before, but just brought it up as the increases at ssc seem to be coming with every few releases is all. I'm still in for some of them but now i'm way more selective and would even look at some XM pieces if it wasn't such a pain to get one ordered and shipped.

Sideshow knows what they are doing. They are so confident in their plans that upsetting people 2 days later with a $50 price increase is inconsequential. They are going to ride or die with this new $500 baseline for Premium Formats.

That price is a joke. With China going to hell in a hand basket, thought prices would go down.
Good looking statue though.

This is a good point. Chinese yuan is at an all time low but factories charge in US dollars while all of their costs are in chinese yuans... this means that factories are making more money than ever, not just due to rising labor costs (that are a factor), but also thanks to the super favorable currency exchange they're getting.
The fact is that this hobby grew exponentially bigger in just a pair of years and all companies end up using the same factories, so it all comes down to demand and offer: more companies in the field competing to use the same factories, more demand, hence the factories take advantage and give priority to companies paying more.

Bottom line, people love to boast about free market and democracy, but when it happens with the market opening up to new players and this causes an increase in prices, they're incredibly quick to point fingers and start blaming.
This is without even taking into account the benefits that come from this situation, really, nobody likes to pay more but just to make a quick list:
-Prime1 is expensive for sure but NOBODY would put out such detailed 1:3 pieces for a lower price, nobody. Just compare their prices to Sideshow's bigger PFs of the recent past (like Godzilla, Dark Rider, Sentinel) to see how good of a prices those are
-XM retails at more or less 100$ above Sideshow PFs. People complain and brag but truth is that those people aren't even supposed to get XM pieces since they're not in the eligible areas, that's not even a legitimate complaint.
-PCS is grinding out awesome stuff at awesome price points, they upped their game while keeping costs more than reasonable. Shao Kahn is bigger and better than Darskeid - yet it comes at only 425$.
-if I look at the latest Sideshow POs, they're some of the best stuff they've EVER sculpted:
Dark Phoenix, Red Sonja and Cpt Marvel are heads and shoulders better than almost any other female piece Sideshow ever done, talking about stuff like Ms Marvel, Rogue, Psylocke, She Hulk, Vampirellas, the very first Red Sonja, all stuff I've owned or seen in person and that was barely worth the 300$ retail price of that time.
I'm baffled at people that would drop 1000$ on a Ms Marvel with no regrets but then chukle at the recent prices. With that amount of money they can buy Dark Phoenix+Cpt Marvel and have a pair of statues that are in a whole other league than Ms Marvel... and yet.
Surely, it's worth to mention there are inconsistencies of course. This Gamora doesn't exactly come out as a winner compared to the others mentioned, or Xiall who is blatantly overpriced with no excuses, or again Skeletor who's 50$ more expensive than He Man for no real reaso, plus other pieces don't look like they have the same value for money given what's being offered - i.e. I think the Jason PF, being a mostly clothed figure, shouldn't be priced as much as bigger and more complex pieces like Spidery PFs.
Overall this whole situation has its share of bad sides, but also many good ones.

Last edited:
Back