Premium Format Gamora (Marvel Now!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like this statue a lot . But the price is causing me to reluctantly to past on this for now. However if SS announces the Angela companion piece, My willpower will crumble, and I'll get both. I'm just too weak to pass that duo up.

These new releases @ $500 made even my latest purchase (Batman Modern Age PF) a real bargain, and the brand new Hellboy (comic) PF I got for $330 as if I got it from a thrift shop.

Not sure but I think some of the price increase could be attributed to XM, SSC most likely has taken notice of their price point and they seem to have no issue selling out. So why not up their prices somewhat, I know if I was SSC I'd feel like we were leaving money on the table.

That's exactly it.

On the subject, Macaluso just gave a spot on reply on the other board, and it has nothing to share with XM's prices, secondary market prices or SSC taking note on anything:

"Good question.

Answer is its not licensing fees that are driving the price up.

Very few factories having the skill to make high end collectibles so those that can do it, are raising prices. If company A isnt willing to pay their rate then company B will.

There is a particular company, not naming them, that have almost single-handedly cause ALL collectibles prices to go up because they are paying over-market to the factories for prime positioning.

There are also far too many companies making collectibles now so, as mentioned above, there is always someone thats willing to pay the factory a little higher than the last guy...that causes prices to keep going up.

The entire industry is in a massive bubble "

Statue Forum - View Single Post - The State of Collectibles

I've never known production cost to go down, ever. I just hope I'm out of this before the bubble bursts.

They were bound to go up regardless because chinese labor costs have grown a lot in the last years, pretty much everything gets more expensive. This specific hobby is just unfortunate because the skills required to pull this kinds of goods are not common and quite specific, along with the number of new competitors the factories got more and more contractual power for production.
Doesn't help that the US dollar gained a ton of value last year, which made collecting for non-US residents much harder. I recall paying 410€ delivered for my Fury of the Beast statue that retailed at 500$. Now a PF retailing at 500$ costs about 550€ delivered. That's a 140€ (160$) difference just due to crappy exchange rate and companies giving less discount % for wholesale buyers.

They were bound to go up regardless because chinese labor costs have grown a lot in the last years, pretty much everything gets more expensive. This specific hobby is just unfortunate because the skills required to pull this kinds of goods are not common and quite specific, along with the number of new competitors the factories got more and more contractual power for production.
Doesn't help that the US dollar gained a ton of value last year, which made collecting for non-US residents much harder. I recall paying 410€ delivered for my Fury of the Beast statue that retailed at 500$. Now a PF retailing at 500$ costs about 550€ delivered. That's a 140€ (160$) difference just due to crappy exchange rate and companies giving less discount % for wholesale buyers.

All good points. The market (hobby in general) looks like it's getting saturated with the same chracters, the ante getting upped with larger scales and corresponding price points. Companies can make B list characters and still sell, C and beyond dubious enough to not make it worthwhile. I'm not saying the hobby will completely collapse as it seems like cons worldwide are multiplying and SDCC gets bigger every year, but at what point do you justfy paying in upwards of 500 (or more) for a single piece? Are PF's soon to near the 1k mark? (Not all items are created equal, so there's some justification) Plus what is popular will change over time so there will always be something to sell.

I used to drive the 101 fwy in L.A. to and from work and told myslef it wasnt so bad because I was still moving at 10-20 mph, in heavy traffic.
I stopped taking the fwy about 4-5 years ago and am better for it.

isn't Bowen totally out of it now? thought I read somewhere that they shut down recently....I know though that for one shutting down there seems to be a few more starting up and Bowen was more in the lower end or smaller sized fully painted.

isn't Bowen totally out of it now? thought I read somewhere that they shut down recently....I know though that for one shutting down there seems to be a few more starting up and Bowen was more in the lower end or smaller sized fully painted.

Something in Bowen's last communicate seemed to imply they were moving away from Marvel, I've read people speculating they were going for a DC license.
I don't do 1:6 superheroes but I'd be curious to see Bowen's price points today.
I think Koto is already hovering in the 250$ price range for their 1:6 stuff which is not exactly a good ratio compared to 1:4 pieces imho, the same way 400-450$ for 1:5 pieces doesn't really appeal me. The trade off just doesn't seem good.

Something in Bowen's last communicate seemed to imply they were moving away from Marvel, I've read people speculating they were going for a DC license.
I don't do 1:6 superheroes but I'd be curious to see Bowen's price points today.
I think Koto is already hovering in the 250$ price range for their 1:6 stuff which is not exactly a good ratio compared to 1:4 pieces imho, the same way 400-450$ for 1:5 pieces doesn't really appeal me. The trade off just doesn't seem good.

$250 if you buy direct from the Koto site. You can usually shave off $30 by buying from an online retailer and find free shipping. And if you're comparing to a 1/4 scale these days, it's really $500 plus tax and shipping. For me, it's comparing $220 to almost $600. As a side: I make a point to buy direct from SS, no just for reward points, but because of the ease with returns. Sadly that concern hasn't let up these last few years. :lol

And with 1/6 pieces, you do have added perks. Not only easier on the wallet, but much easier on space and storage. But anyway, a good statue is a good statue. I just hate to see my 1/6 jam get pooed on. ;)

I'm not into 1/6 and didn't know about lower rates, being in Europe here they're a tad inflated like everything else, I think they average at around 270 usd here :) that's good to see they're still viable in the US, i thought that with shipping they ended up nearly at 270-280

I really enjoyed the 1/5 line SS experimented with. All those pieces were fully sculpted and came out really well imo. They were slightly larger than Bowens but cheaper than PF's and took up less space both on display and in storage. I wish that scale would have taken off. I'm sure my collection would easily be larger today. Back then the community was relentless with the "1/4 or fail"

I wasn't around when the 1/5 comiquettes were strong and kicking, but the Mythos line was great even if prices were already kinda at the high limit for 1/5 pieces. Current prices in the McQuarrie and He Man line are just insane, especially the MQ given how simple designs are.

Back