Game of Thrones vs. The Lord of the Rings

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Game of Thrones vs. The Lord of the Rings

• Total voters
Two way different twists on the medieval/fantasy genre.

Lord of the Rings is the more straight-forward good vs. evil with heavy fantasy elements from different races, creatures, backgrounds.

Game of Thrones is more about political intrigue where the lines are blurred. The good guys don't always win because they won't get dirty enough to play the "winning" game that the bad guys do. Also, there is less of the fantasy element unlike LotR, it is present in GoT, but mostly as a background set-up for the story.

I really can't compare the two. I think Game of Thrones has more intriguing characters because of their depth and evolution throughout the series, but I appreciate Lord of the Rings embrace of fantasy elements and the traditional "good vs. evil".

GOT

LOTR had nothing more shocking than the beheading of a character in season one and the Red Wedding.

And LOTR's main hero gave in to the Ring.

GOT also has lots of nice T&A.

Two way different twists on the medieval/fantasy genre.

Lord of the Rings is the more straight-forward good vs. evil with heavy fantasy elements from different races, creatures, backgrounds.

Game of Thrones is more about political intrigue where the lines are blurred. The good guys don't always win because they won't get dirty enough to play the "winning" game that the bad guys do. Also, there is less of the fantasy element unlike LotR, it is present in GoT, but mostly as a background set-up for the story.

I really can't compare the two. I think Game of Thrones has more intriguing characters because of their depth and evolution throughout the series, but I appreciate Lord of the Rings embrace of fantasy elements and the traditional "good vs. evil".

Agreed. I think Game of Thrones is the far more realistic series in that, the "good guys" don't always win because they deserve to win; sowing and reaping for one's sins just doesn't apply. On the contrary, everyone on that show pays horribly for their mistakes - just like in real life.

The Lord of the Rings is nice for a fairy tale of absolute good (Frodo and the Fellowship) vs. absolute evil (Sauron and the forces of Mordor). But, personally, I do admire the mature storytelling of Game of Thrones a lot more.

GoT is alright. Its not the end all be all for me. The Lord of the Rings is something very special and for me the pinnacle of the Fantasy genre. I just find Middle-earth and what Tolkien created a greater world in every way possible.

I love them both, but I get a lot more out of Tolkien.

LotR> WoT > GoT

I love Tolkien's books, too. It's possibly the case, that Game of Thrones might not have even existed if it weren't for the inspirations drawn from The Lord of the Rings.

The pinnacle of the Fantasy genre? Someone needs to read some original unedited Robert E. Howard. Fantasy so well described you feel you are there by Conan's side.

GOT. For me, its more relevant and more compelling in terms of its storytelling and character development. And dare I say its more Shakespearian.

As fun as GOT has been I'm not suddenly putting it above the stories I've loved my entire life. Hell, we don't even know how the whole thing ends, so how do we say either way for sure?

Yeah, that's a good point, FLOSI.

Either way, I like them both for different reasons and don't really want to choose one or the other.

GoT is just not my kind of fantasy, couldn't sit thro half of season one.

LotR trilogy was great.

GoT is alright. Its not the end all be all for me. The Lord of the Rings is something very special and for me the pinnacle of the Fantasy genre. I just find Middle-earth and what Tolkien created a greater world in every way possible.

George R R Martin has also created his own vast world with different races , characters and creatures, it's own religions, it's own seasons, it's own geography and it's own vast history. He's also created his very own language in Dothraki like Tolkien did for Elvish. Not bad for an 'average' fantasy writer ;)
They're quite similar in that regard but very different in others, like their story-telling. Martin has created more rounded and believable characters with depth and gravitas while we know all about Tolkiens characters in a short space of time. We know Frodo is good, Sam is good and Sauron is evil, and that's how they remain. Yes Saruman was good once but when we as readers find him he's already turned.

However I can't choose between them! Don't make me! I do think Tolkien is the benchmark everyone else strives to - most fantasy writers including Martin have said its been an inspiration.
It's been the biggest and best discovery for me since Lord of the Rings.

As fun as GOT has been I'm not suddenly putting it above the stories I've loved my entire life. Hell, we don't even know how the whole thing ends, so how do we say either way for sure?

Yeah, that's a good point, FLOSI.

Either way, I like them both for different reasons and don't really want to choose one or the other.

:lecture :exactly:

Exactly how I feel too. I can't choose until the story is complete so I won't ;)

I have loved the Lord of the Rings movies all my life, they're some of the greatest movies made IMO, but there is no competition here.

Game of Thrones is superior in every way. Characters and an overall story that are hundreds of times more complex than anything in Lord of the Rings, better acting, much more mature and realistic concepts, etc. The vast amount of characters who all have different, unique personalities. All the different houses and kingdoms. Even the fantasy elements in Game of Thrones are better IMO.

Everything in LotR is incredibly black and white compared to GoT. I found Ned Stark to be a much better character than Boromir just after watching the first episode of GoT.

I still love LotR though and own the extended edition blu ray collection.

George R R Martin has also created his own vast world with different races , characters and creatures, it's own religions, it's own seasons, it's own geography and it's own vast history. He's also created his very own language in Dothraki like Tolkien did for Elvish. Not bad for an 'average' fantasy writer ;)
They're quite similar in that regard but very different in others, like their story-telling. Martin has created more rounded and believable characters with depth and gravitas while we know all about Tolkiens characters in a short space of time. We know Frodo is good, Sam is good and Sauron is evil, and that's how they remain. Yes Saruman was good once but when we as readers find him he's already turned.

However I can't choose between them! Don't make me! I do think Tolkien is the benchmark everyone else strives to - most fantasy writers including Martin have said its been an inspiration.
It's been the biggest and best discovery for me since Lord of the Rings.

That's great that you feel that way about GoT. Its not a terrible show so I'm sure the books aren't terrible. Its just not something based on the show I find gripping enough to read the books. I'm sure the books allow for a bit more depth but I won't be finding out anytime soon.

Its not a knock on GoT at all that I don't feel it can touch Middle-earth. However, I do understand those that feel it does or better. My passion for Middle-earth runs very deep. So for me I can choose but I have no problems with anyone who can't or choose the other way.

I'm only through season 1 of GOT and its OK but nothing super special. Take out the blood and the t & a and its an average ABC miniseries.

Back