Game of Thrones - book series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own all the books, but have read the first two only. Reading some Halo books right now, but Book 3 is calling my name -

Not a fan of the show (at all), so no pressure to finish this book in time for the next season. I absolutely love the books - detailed, interesting characters and utterly engrossing

I own all the books, but have read the first two only. Reading some Halo books right now, but Book 3 is calling my name -

Not a fan of the show (at all), so no pressure to finish this book in time for the next season. I absolutely love the books - detailed, interesting characters and utterly engrossing

Books 1 through 3 are AMAZING. Then books 4 and 5 happened (which are technically just one book split up....essentially). I'm hoping the next book will start wrapping things up better and get some characters back on track (eg: bring them back to their former glory in books 1 through 3 instead of just feeling like they've become shadows or caricatures of themselves). We'll see. We won't see the next book for another 5 to 8 years I'm sure though.

unless, you know, he dies before finishing it.

12893-620x-THATS_A_BINGO.jpg

Apparently Martin has provided an ending to the producers of the show, should this actually happen, but with the liberties they took with Season 2, I'm not sure it would be truly close to Martin's vision for an ending.

Books 1 through 3 are AMAZING. Then books 4 and 5 happened (which are technically just one book split up....essentially). I'm hoping the next book will start wrapping things up better and get some characters back on track (eg: bring them back to their former glory in books 1 through 3 instead of just feeling like they've become shadows or caricatures of themselves). We'll see. We won't see the next book for another 5 to 8 years I'm sure though.

Thanks, yeah, my sisters warned me about books 4 and 5......and that's the problem with some of these fantasy writers....takes em 800 pages to say what another book series might do in half that...

I have been chugging along in this series over the past 2 years. I am about 800 pages into book 3.

I had heard people mention the Red Wedding and how shocking it was. I always assumed it would be bloody/brutal. As I read through the book I just assumed that it was going to be at Joffery's wedding. Last night, I was blown away!!!! I literally had to put the book down and go take a nap because I was so depressed.

I love this series but it is so frustrating that nothing good happens to my favorite characters. I truly hope that the remaining Starks will get to see some justice before the series is over.

Book 5 wasn't that bad but book 4 had a lot of problems

Book 4 was very slow and unnecessary, but it was setting up Dorne joining Daenyrs and Daenyrs making a total cluster of Meereen. The books were good enough without the introduction of Dorne & the Iron Islands in my opinion.

I actually enjoyed book 5; especially the tension in the North and the very shocking assassination of Jon Snow. I noticed that when Snow was dying, it said that his blood was "smoking" which makes me think that he is a bastard Targaryen or is the true Azor Ahai. Earlier in the book, when Melistandre was looking in the fire trying to see Stanis, it would only show Jon Snow.

I really wish book 4 & 5 would have spent more time on zombie Caitlyn Stark & the White Walkers because I have a feeling those stories are going to be rushed.

My prediction:
Jon Snow is going to be reborn, awaken the dragon in the wall, join up with Daenerys, and fight the White Walkers.

Last edited:
Boom!! Took me about 2 years to get through them all... just finished book 5.

LOVE this series. I was not impressed at all with book 4 but if he can give us a solid book 6 and 7 it will be very forgivable.

Some thought on book 5 (spoilers)

- bummer that the battle for winterfell and merreen both built up but neither have happened yet.
- Theon - one of the most tragic/pathetic characters I can ever remember reading about.
- Jon can't be dead! I don't believe it. I also don't think Ned is his dad and that Ned was covering something bigger up by claiming him.
- Dragons are finally ready to kick some Kings Landing butt.
- Epilogue was great. I know that The Griffin is now a wild card but I hope that whoever is sitting in the iron throne at the end is someone we have known throughout the entire series.
- Cerci chapters were great! Walk of shame was fantastic. Hopefully The Mountain is still alive (Hound too)
- I am bummed that between books 4 and 5 we only got 5 Arya chapters
- I am also bummed that it will probably be 5 - 10 years before the series is complete.

I bought books 1-3 yesterday

That's all you'll need.:D

No seriously, you'll get the other two because you'll wanna know what happens but they fall off after book three. Martin deviates too much from the original storyline imo. Book 5 is better than book 4 but honestly didn't take the story where it needed it to be, especially at this late date.

I don't know how he's going to tie up all these loose ends in two books. That's if we even get them. He seems to do everything but write these days.

Still, it's one of my favorite fantasy series and I yearn for book 6. Funny how that is.

I just watched a interview on YouTube where Martin says that the Red Wedding was the hardest thing he's ever written. He said when he got to that part he skipped over it and wrote the rest of the book. It was the last thing he wrote in A Storm of Swords. So its hard for him to kill off main characters. Just thought that was interesting.

Oh and Dave, technically the thread should be called A Song of Ice and Fire series or something like that considering this thread is for the entire book series. Just a niggle,not important. Its just I've noticed since the show came out I hear people refer to them as The Game of Thrones series.

Anyway, what's everyones thoughts on Jon Snows mother. Particularly the whole L+R=J thing, which I think is fairly likely. If you guys have even heard of it that is....

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Oh and Dave, technically the thread should be called A Song of Ice and Fire series or something like that considering this thread is for the entire book series. Just a niggle,not important. Its just I've noticed since the show came out I hear people refer to them as The Game of Thrones series.

:goodpost: It bothers me when people do this.

- I am also bummed that it will probably be 5 - 10 years before the series is complete.

:lol We'll be lucky to get the next book in that amount of time, not the series. I've just come to accept the fact Martin is most likely going to croak before he finishes the series. We're more likely to see the end of the story through the show rather than the book.

:lol We'll be lucky to get the next book in that amount of time, not the series. I've just come to accept the fact Martin is most likely going to croak before he finishes the series. We're more likely to see the end of the story through the show rather than the book.

Dont say that!!! :pray::pray: If he can pull it off this series with a satisfactory conclusion it can seriously be placed on the shelf with Lord of the Rings and Narnia.

Maybe HBO can figure out how to make books 4 and 5 into 3 seasons. That will give them 4 more years worth of TV after this current season. Book 6 can be another 2 seasons which would give them another 2 years.

All of that is wishful thinking but it can happen right?? :pray:

Boom!! Took me about 2 years to get through them all... just finished book 5.

LOVE this series. I was not impressed at all with book 4 but if he can give us a solid book 6 and 7 it will be very forgivable.

Some thought on book 5 (spoilers)

- bummer that the battle for winterfell and merreen both built up but neither have happened yet.
- Theon - one of the most tragic/pathetic characters I can ever remember reading about.
- Jon can't be dead! I don't believe it. I also don't think Ned is his dad and that Ned was covering something bigger up by claiming him.
- Dragons are finally ready to kick some Kings Landing butt.
- Epilogue was great. I know that The Griffin is now a wild card but I hope that whoever is sitting in the iron throne at the end is someone we have known throughout the entire series.
- Cerci chapters were great! Walk of shame was fantastic. Hopefully The Mountain is still alive (Hound too)
- I am bummed that between books 4 and 5 we only got 5 Arya chapters

I am PRETTY sure The Mountain is dead, however there is good evidence The Hound is still alive. I forgot which book it was in and the chapter but someone comes across a person with an injury that is the same injury the Hound suffered.

I just watched a interview on YouTube where Martin says that the Red Wedding was the hardest thing he's ever written. He said when he got to that part he skipped over it and wrote the rest of the book. It was the last thing he wrote in A Storm of Swords. So its hard for him to kill off main characters. Just thought that was interesting.

Anyway, what's everyones thoughts on Jon Snows mother. Particularly the whole L+R=J thing, which I think is fairly likely. If you guys have even heard of it that is....

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

I am down with this theory but I also read something interesting with Jon at the end of book 5 and how there is a theory that he will actually turn bad.

Some more interesting stuff in the comments of this thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1b4dlt/spoilers_all_who_is_the_great_other/

I am PRETTY sure The Mountain is dead, however there is good evidence The Hound is still alive. I forgot which book it was in and the chapter but someone comes across a person with an injury that is the same injury the Hound suffered.

Yeah, in the books its a lot easier to get away with concealing a character's identity and having someone else die in their place than it would be in a TV or movie. So if they catch up with the books, I guess Martin will have to let HBO know if those characters are really dead or not - if they play a part later in story I mean.

And Cersei is probably Jon's mother. She's given birth to just about everything else supposedly someone else's right? :lol

Back