Future of DC Films (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loads of fans wanting something for a long time doesn't a 1 billion film make.
I’ll iterate that a stand-alone solo movie starring fish boy Aquaman broke a billion, but not a movie with DC’s TOP 3 heroes onscreen for the first time in history.

BvS had a huge opening weekend. And abysmal legs. The interest was there, until word of mouth kicked in and its interest fell off a cliff.

People clearly wanted a BvS movie, but not what they were given.

Plus WB did massive damage to this movie by announcing a director's cut 3 weeks before it even came out.
The studio is one thing, but the fact is that Snyder’s ego played a role as well. There were loads of artistic, auteur shots in the theatrical cut that were unnecessary indulgences that had no bearing on the actual plot. On the contrary, the cuts that were made (the branded inmates in prison, Luthors’ men burning the village to make it look like Superman did it) were necessary to the story and left giant, gaping plot holes the audience needed to fill in to understand.

Alright, what’s your deal? I’m seriously convinced you’re just trolling. Show me where I touted ZSJL as a Box office success. I’ll wait.

Idk how many times I have to tell you. Zack’s JL was not released theatrically. It went straight to Hbo max. AGAIN, It wasn’t in theaters. I’m not sure what’s so hard for you to comprehend.

I compared a horror movie franchise to a superhero franchise? Wtf are you talking about? When did I say anything about a horror movie!? Are you talking about when I referenced Godzilla Vs Kong? :huh Lmfao.

I’m done with you.
A post from you on a previous page.

"So Snyder’s universe didn’t “succeed” and didn’t work because no one “wanted to work with it?” What does that even mean lmao, and what is your definition of success?"

You've been touting the Snyderverse "success" for more then that one post though.

Your post I orginally replied to tied your definition of success to the box office earnings.

Last I checked JSJL was Snyderverse, so unless you are excluding the one movie with his name on it, comparisons to ZSJL using your own metrics do apply. Considering the loopholes you keep looking for to get out of this hole you are in, it wouldn't surprise me.

ZSJL not being released theatrically only supports my point using your logic that it was a failure. I appreciate that you keep bringing it up and reaffirming that I was right. According to your metrics, only box office matters, ZSJL never was released in the box office therefore it was a failure, by your metrics.

You are correct it was GvK and not Conjuring, however the point I made still stands two different genres, and two different release windows. Apples and Oranges.

You keep replying, and asking questions, so clearly you are not done with me.

A post from you on a previous page.

"So Snyder’s universe didn’t “succeed” and didn’t work because no one “wanted to work with it?” What does that even mean lmao, and what is your definition of success?"

You've been touting the Snyderverse "success" for more then that one post though.

Your post I orginally replied to tied your definition of success to the box office earnings.

Last I checked JSJL was Snyderverse, so unless you are excluding the one movie with his name on it, comparisons to ZSJL using your own metrics do apply. Considering the loopholes you keep looking for to get out of this hole you are in, it wouldn't surprise me.

ZSJL not being released theatrically only supports my point using your logic that it was a failure. I appreciate that you keep bringing it up and reaffirming that I was right. According to your metrics, only box office matters, ZSJL never was released in the box office therefore it was a failure, by your metrics.

You are correct it was GvK and not Conjuring, however the point I made still stands two different genres, and two different release windows. Apples and Oranges.

You keep replying, and asking questions, so clearly you are not done with me.

Those were rhetorical questions, as I was genuinely confused as to how you were struggling to comprehend something relatively simple.

Here, let me break it down. Reading is tough for you, I get it. Let me try and simplify it to better help you understand. There are typically two types of movies that get made, those meant for theatrical releases, and those meant for streaming services such as Netflix or Hbo max. There’s even some instances where movies are made where they go to theaters and stream on the same day, but we won’t get into that. How successful or unsuccessful each of those are would obviously be determined by different factors. Movies that are released in theaters are gauged and lauded as a success if they are deemed profitable. That’s what most movie studios care about, these are businesses after all. Movies that are released on streaming services are a little more tricky to gauge, since we have to rely on third party television tech companies that measure audience viewership such as Samba TV. Are you keeping up? Moving on.

Now If we’re strictly discussing the success of ZSJL, I’ll give you some numbers. Remember this one went straight to Hbo max, it didn’t have a theatrical release. According to samba TV, the Snyder cut was watched by 3.7 million viewers within the first month or so of its release. It was in the TOP FIVE most streamed movies in 2021. Id say that’s a success. Moving on.

Now if we’re discussing the “Snyderverse,” (which implies movies that were directed and also being made when Snyder was technically still in charge of the DCEU) So theatrically (remember this means movies released in theaters) we have Man of Steel, BvS, Suicide squad, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman. Those five films total have a combined gross revenue of a little over 4 BILLION dollars. I’d say that’s a success.

I’m not sure what part of that you’re failing to grasp, as I don’t think I could simplify it any more than that .

Hopefully that clears things up for you. It’s a tough concept to grasp, huh? :lol

Last edited:
Those were rhetorical questions, as I was genuinely confused as to how you were struggling to comprehend something relatively simple.

Here, let me break it down. Reading is tough for you, I get it. Let me try and simplify it to better help you understand. There are typically two types of movies that get made, those meant for theatrical releases, and those meant for streaming services such as Netflix or Hbo max. There’s even some instances where movies are made where they go to theaters and stream on the same day, but we won’t get into that. How successful or unsuccessful each of those are would obviously be determined by different factors. Movies that are released in theaters are gauged and lauded as a success if they are deemed profitable. That’s what most movie studios care about, these are businesses after all. Movies that are released on streaming services are a little more tricky to gauge, since we have to rely on third party television tech companies that measure audience viewership such as Samba TV. Are you keeping up? Moving on.

Now If we’re strictly discussing the success of ZSJL, I’ll give you some numbers. Remember this one went straight to Hbo max, it didn’t have a theatrical release. According to samba TV, the Snyder cut was watched by 3.7 million viewers within the first month or so of its release. It was in the TOP FIVE most streamed movies in 2021. Id say that’s a success. Moving on.

Now if we’re discussing the “Snyderverse,” (which implies movies that were directed and also being made when Snyder was technically still in charge of the DCEU) So theatrically (remember this means movies released in theaters) we have Man of Steel, BvS, Suicide squad, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman. Those five films total have a combined gross revenue of a little over 4 BILLION dollars. I’d say that’s a success.

I’m not sure what part of that you’re failing to grasp, as I don’t think I could simplify it any more than that .

Didn't you say you were done with me? :lol

Love the continued back pedaling and attempts of obfuscation of what you said vs what you want people to think you said though please continue I'm entertained.

Here's the important part.

So clearly you use other metrics on what a success is then just "box office" even though you said that's the only thing that matters" when it suits your needs. Glad you are finally admitting what I've been pushing you towards all along. Therefore applying your new metric to your original argument, The Suicide Squad was a success at some level other then the box office to WB becaue it warranted not only a only a successful spinoff show, but also for James Gunn to deserve a shot at helming the DC movies.

I look forward to your next entertaining response despite having been "done" with me earlier. :lol

Plus WB did massive damage to this movie by announcing a director's cut 3 weeks before it even came out.
Lol stop. A Batman vs Superman film shoukd have hit a billion. And yes if fans want something for a long time it could hit a billion. Maybe look at no way home’s success

I’ll iterate that a stand-alone solo movie starring fish boy Aquaman broke a billion, but not a movie with DC’s TOP 3 heroes onscreen for the first time in history.

BvS had a huge opening weekend. And abysmal legs. The interest was there, until word of mouth kicked in and its interest fell off a cliff.

People clearly wanted a BvS movie, but not what they were given.
Big facts lol. I don’t think they get it. This movie had bigger hype than civil war. But the movie sucked plain and simple. A bloated mess of a film. It was a Batman v superman film that was terrible. No excuse. Should have hit the mark

The studio is one thing, but the fact is that Snyder’s ego played a role as well. There were loads of artistic, auteur shots in the theatrical cut that were unnecessary indulgences that had no bearing on the actual plot. On the contrary, the cuts that were made (the branded inmates in prison, Luthors’ men burning the village to make it look like Superman did it) were necessary to the story and left giant, gaping plot holes the audience needed to fill in to understand.
Yea the film itself is a solid 7. I also don’t think it would be a good movie if cute down to an hr. It would have been just as messy as whedons maybe.

Hopefully that clears things up for you. It’s a tough concept to grasp, huh? :lol
Out of curiosity, how much was The Suicide Squad streamed according to those metrics? Also, looking at the way Peacemaker ended and the cast of The Suicide Squad, why do you not count those as part of Snyder’s DCEU?

I can already next several years of people being big mad about the Snyderverse and insisting the new universe will fail is going to be very fun to read through and not at all repetitive.

I can already next several years of people being big mad about the Snyderverse and insisting the new universe will fail is going to be very fun to read through and not at all repetitive.
This has all happened before and it will all happen again.

We see this with every new reboot or new casting across all IPs. Everyone quick to condemn and prophesize failure instead of waiting to see if the new thing is any good.

Welcome to the dc thread finally. We don’t get along lol. Nah we are all cool

Awful lot of talk about Snyder in a thread about the “future” of DC movies.

Anyway, Flash looks interesting. First Batman wearing blue and grey since Adam West!
DE4A866E-620E-4759-A8C9-0C8CDC99C7B5.jpeg

True. But look at the state of it.
It's not the state of it that is the issue of why people still talk about Snyderverse, it's the attachment people have to certain IPs and the eventual change in casting that happens as time goes on.

Adam West was THE Batman for generations, and everyone threw a fit over Keaton being the new Batman in the 80s. Then the movie was released, time went on and Keaton became THE Batman for many people and Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, and Affleck all got backlash over their casting, but now most of them are accepted by some as THEIR Batman.

Look at the constant comparisons to Christopher Reeves that MoS and Henry Cavil received. Then suddenly after people saw the movies and Cavil was Superman in a few movies, people now claim he is THE Superman.

Same example can be used on Tobey, Andrew, and Holland with Spiderman.

What we are seeing now is the same resistance to change from what was the Snyderverse, into whatever Gunn has planned.

People always hate changes in their IPs, until they see it, then suddenly the new actor is THE version of a character. As long as it is good, which we won't know till we actually see it.

All this noise from social media does nothing but cause problems with production. and causes execs to second guess the plans of the hired creators. A good example of that coincidently enough is the Snyderverse.

Yup people hated the Snyder castings and the movies and all of a sudden a small minority think they are the lords gift to mankind

Out of curiosity, how much was The Suicide Squad streamed according to those metrics? Also, looking at the way Peacemaker ended and the cast of The Suicide Squad, why do you not count those as part of Snyder’s DCEU?

Good question, I’ll have to look. I could be wrong but I think the Snyderverse refers to films in the DCEU that were made when Snyder was in charge.

Awful lot of talk about Snyder in a thread about the “future” of DC movies.

Anyway, Flash looks interesting. First Batman wearing blue and grey since Adam West!
View attachment 622719

That suit looks bad ass, it’ll be cool to see Affleck again. Presumably his last appearance. I know he could possibly show up in Aquabro 2 but now that seems unlikely.

Yup people hated the Snyder castings and the movies and all of a sudden a small minority think they are the lords gift to mankind

That’s the thing though, is it a small minority? Go look at Gunns Instagram, not one person has anything positive to say. A ton of people are pissed about the Cavill situation, that’s literally every other comment lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back