Funko Star Wars Hikari Vinyl Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Waller

Are you on the square?
Reaction score
Funko is making a Star Wars Hikari vinyl figure line.

5400_Original-Greedo_HIkari_hires.jpg

Each of Funko’s Hikari figures is hand-numbered and limited edition. Look for more heroes, villains, and creatures from a galaxy far, far away to join Greedo in 2015, with Darth Vader, Bossk, Clone Trooper, Storm Trooper, Wampa, Boba Fett, and C3PO coming soon to the Star Wars Hikari line.

The Star Wars Hikari line is inspired by cool retro ’60s and ’70s Japanese vinyl known as sofubi or kaiju. Funko’s CEO, Brian Mariotti, is a collector of sofubi figures and wanted to bring that aesthetic to the company’s licenses.

Hikari-Inspiration-sm-1024x662.jpg

That's pretty good, the proportions are decent & I like the colouring, the metallic look gives it a stand out feel. :)

Funko is making a Star Wars Hikari vinyl figure line.

5400_Original-Greedo_HIkari_hires.jpg

There are some cool color ways they ve done that look like old weathered toys....there's a prime, a bumblebee, and a creature from the black lagoon n that style.....

My only concernen is they look more like super-deformed figures than vintage sofubi, but they still look alright....

Here's my vader from medicom/ bear.....in the style of the old takara vinyl figures from the 70's:

View attachment 162907

I love these vinyl figures from medicom!

Hikari-Inspiration-sm-1024x662.jpg

I love this line!

I don't think I will get this particular one, but I'm looking forward to seeing the Fett, Vader, Clone Trooper and Storm Trooper.. it was Medicom's Super Deformed SW figures that started me collecting, in the first place.

Take two...I minimized the picture of my medicom "sofubi" ( SOFt VInyl) vader a bit:

image.jpg
image.jpg

One more thing super deformed vs retro / sofubi proportions

This is superfedormed...exaggerated proportions, usually characterized by a HUGE head usually bigger than, if not equal in mass to the rest of the body...designed to capture a wider audience.

image.jpg

This is sofubi (1960's 70's style)
Usually everything is reduced ...understated vs exaggerated.
Undersized tubes, extremities like tails ears etc....
has to do more with the original lack of demand for realism and faithfulness to the licensed characters and limitations of toy manufacturing during the 60's and 70's
vs a stylistic approach which it is today in the somewhat postmodern toy era
Marmit alien:
image.jpg

Here's a super deformed medicom alien with an urban edginess:

image.jpg

I have the Warrior version of that Medicom Alien (no translucent half-dome) SD figure, it is still one of my favorite SD figures.. and currently my only Alien/s figure.

That Herocross SD Vader is excellent!
:rock

Wherever you can get other Funko vinyl figures from. In the US that would be places like Big Bad Toy Store, Entertainment Earth and maybe Amazon.

Those Stormtroopers & clones shall be mine. :D Thanks for posting the link, I tend to chat in the Gentle Giant, Kotobukiya & Sideshow areas of the rebel scum forum so miss things like this really.

Back