Fullmetal Alchemist (2017) - Live action film

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked this out recently....It's on Netflix now.

And it fell way short of my expectations.

I actually thought the CGI was decent (considering it wasn't a huge Hollywood budget film), but the rest of the movie left a lot to be desired. While I felt the actors did a good job, the plot was all over the place. It's like they tried to cram 10 episodes into 2 hours, with the last 30 minutes consisting of an entire story arc that took the anime 10-20 episodes to cover. I also felt like they mixed FMA with FMA:Brotherhood, and then a little something of their own. I really wanted to like it, but I think I had way too high of expectations going into it.

I gave it a 5 out of 10.

Did anyone else see this yet?

I checked this out recently....It's on Netflix now.

And it fell way short of my expectations.

I actually thought the CGI was decent (considering it wasn't a huge Hollywood budget film), but the rest of the movie left a lot to be desired. While I felt the actors did a good job, the plot was all over the place. It's like they tried to cram 10 episodes into 2 hours, with the last 30 minutes consisting of an entire story arc that took the anime 10-20 episodes to cover. I also felt like they mixed FMA with FMA:Brotherhood, and then a little something of their own. I really wanted to like it, but I think I had way too high of expectations going into it.

I gave it a 5 out of 10.

Did anyone else see this yet?

I watched a little bit tonight.

The shows were 50 episodes each, so right there this very complex, layered story is doomed.

I would love to see what they could do if they tried to make this with a Harry Potter style budget and number of films, but I know that will never happen.

Watching the little bit I did see, just made me want to go back and revisit the original, which for me is a high point in anime.

I'm in the minority but the 2003 anime is the best one for me. i just lik it overall better than brotherhood.

I tried watching it and I had to turn it off about an hour in. It's laughably bad.

Last edited:
Watched the first anime in its time and just recently binged Brotherhood which was awesome but I couldn't get past the first few cringy minutes of this, the performances are just awkward.

I'm in the minority but the 2003 anime is the best one for me. i just lik it overall better than brotherhood.

Man, I haven't seen the original in ages, but having seeing Brotherhood recently, a part of me agrees.

It sounds weird but it was hard getting the old Alfonse voice out of my head, when I heard the new voice actor. It just wasn't the same for me. :(

Man, I haven't seen the original in ages, but having seeing Brotherhood recently, a part of me agrees.

It sounds weird but it was hard getting the old Alfonse voice out of my head, when I heard the new voice actor. It just wasn't the same for me. :(

The voices were different? Wait, you mean the Japanese voice actor?

I only watched the English dub.

The voices were different? Wait, you mean the Japanese voice actor?

I only watched the English dub.

In the FMA English dub, the voice actor for Alphonse had matured by the time they were ready to dub Brotherhood, so they had to get another voice actor.

The Brotherhood Alphonse was good, but I missed the original voice.

There’s just a great charm in 2003 brotherhood. I feel like they handled plot points well even if some were filler. The Nina scene is better in 2003 imo

Back