Akira

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People in Japan seem to be enjoying that it's 2019, the year that AKIRA and Blade Runner take place.

One of the nice things about living near Tokyo is that I can go see AKIRA in small art movie houses every now and then.

This weekend I'm going to an all night anime fest in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. It starts around 10 or 11 and goes to 6 AM.

First up is "Wicked City"....then "Harmageddon".....the "Neo Tokyo (aka Labyrinth Story)...and the grand finale AKIRA. Yeah, I own it on VHS tapes, laserdiscs, DVDs, and blurays, but it's always fun to see it in 35MM. Last time I saw it there was a lot of "noise" on the picture, but still, seeing it so BIG and glorious is totally worth it.

If you guys wanna join me if you hop on a place now, you just might make it!

Anyway ever see AKIRA properly on a big screen, on film or digital or even a projected VHS? My first time was at the Cleveland Cinemateque in 1990 and my life has never been the same....

Very cool. Tokyo/Japan is one of the places I want to hit in the next couple of years.

Guys....2019 is more than half over.

You owe it to yourselves to see the two greatest films ever to take place in this year....AKIRA and Blade Runner.

Credit where credit is due, Blade Runner was the original. And I love AKIRA to death, but it's obvious more than a few things were cribbed from BR.

First and foremost is the "BWONNNGGGGG" opening note to the movie. By Vangelis in BR, and Geinoh Yamashirogumi in AKIRA.

blade_runner_4k_02.jpg
6hboa75k7s721.jpg

Here's another one that's always caught my eye.

The cylindrical police building that the Spinner lands on in Blade Runner....am I nuts or does that building in Neo Tokyo look awfully similar?

Cylindrical-Tower_Police-Station_Blade-Runner_1982.jpg
neo tokyo.jpg

If possible, try to catch these on the big screen if any theaters are showing them. I've already been lucky enough to catch AKIRA three times this year in Tokyo, even though it was a bit of a degraded old print. Still nothing like seeing it on film and BIG. Thankfully, I'm attending one more in October.

If not, watch them in high def on your best system. Both of these movies are legends of sci-fi/cyberpunk. Do it before 2019 is over!

Saw AKIRA again in October, and one last time today, to end my year-long celebration of AKIRA.

I think it was the same print making the rounds at the art-house theaters on Tokyo, cause it was degraded and had the same skips and glitches in all the same spots. But like I said earlier, as lovely as it looks on bluray, it's still cool to see it BIG in a theater.

So yeah....even though I've seen this movie hundreds of times on VHS, DVD, and Bluray, I actually took the time to go watch this movie SIX TIMES in the theater this year. Why? It's my favorite movie. I doubt I would be living here in Japan if I hadn't convinced my dad to take me to this cool looking movie I read about in the newspaper that was only showing for one weekend only...."Japanimation Weekend" they called it. This was early 1990, in Cleveland Ohio. AKIRA was making the rounds at art-houses in the States for the first time.

I was 12. I guess back then 12 year olds read the newspaper. I did at least. Especially on Fridays when the Arts and Entertainment section came out. I'll never forget the small, black and white pic of the movie poster, accompanied by an associated press review of the movie. It said "No one under 13 years old allowed."

It was only showing that Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I finally convinced my dad to take me that Sunday. He really didn't want to go. But he took me and my brother, who WAS 13, and I was nervous the whole car ride that I wouldn't get in cause I was under the age limit.

We lined up and at the door the ticket guy said "How old is he?" about my brother and my dad said "He's 13." And then the guy said "Well how old is HE?" and my dad said "Uh...he's 13, too." And the guy let us in. Geez dad....way to think on your feet. Couldn't you have made one of us older? Well...at least it worked. It's not like the guy could have carded us either.

I think I actually was probably a bit too young to have seen this movie, but that's probably one of the many reasons I loved it so much. When kids are allowed a glimpse into the adult world, even something as innocuous as an animated movie, it gives them a bit of a thrill and a sense of danger. I think there's a fine line between something being traumatizing and being just disturbing enough that it gives you a rush, and AKIRA was just right for me at that time. Yes, it was very disturbing....some serious ultra-violence that just plain unthinkable for me to see in animated movie at that time. But it was also the coolest, most exotic, other-worldly thing I'd ever seen.

I was hooked.

Seeing it again today, almost exactly 30 years later, it's still just as stunning and breathtaking. I've always loved animation as an art form, and I'll always prefer hand-drawn cel animation to CGI or other forms. This movie to me represents the absolute pinnacle of cel animation. The subject matter is ugly and brutal but the movements, the fluidity, the colors, the shapes are just breathtakingly gorgeous. I'll never get tired of re-watching this movie over and over and over. BUT....I understand it's absolutely not for everyone. And I'll be the first to admit that narratively, it has problems. So I don't really recommend it to people much anymore cause I know the reaction of most people is that the story is too confusing or even "slow and boring" and that it's too violent and that the end sequences are too gross. But I'd still urge people to at least watch the first ten minutes or so, and just appreciate the insane level of detail packed into each and every frame, especially during the sequence that reveals the cityscape and shows the motorcycle gangs fighting. I guarantee you'll see something new every time you watch it. I've seen it countless times and I'm still seeing new things.

So yeah....2019 was a good "Year of AKIRA." I went to several different events celebrating the movie in Tokyo this year. In a few weeks, it'll be 2020 and when we rewatch AKIRA (and Blade Runner) they'll be set in the past. So it was really cool to be able to see this properly in the cinema as many times as I did while it was still the year it was set in.

And to end my post, just for fun, here's that original Associated Press review of AKIRA that got me so excited to see the movie, that lead to me becoming an anime fan, that lead to me wanting to learn more about Japan, that lead to me living here for the last 15 years or so.

'Akira' (NR)
By Richard Harrington
Washington Post Staff Writer
December 25, 1989

Katsuhiro Otomoto's "Akira" is the most expensive animated feature ever made in Japan (over 1 billion yen) and it's easily the most impressive, as well. The two-hour film is adapted from Otomoto's popular biweekly comic and, in the manner of contemporary Japanese comics, it is super-colorful, explicitly violent, intellectually provocative and emotionally engaging with its Perils-of-Pauline pace. Otomoto has condensed the narrative sprawl of the comics to provide coherence, though there's a bit of "Back to the Future Part II" incompleteness to the story. That hardly matters, since the film moves with such kinetic energy that you'll be hanging on for dear life.

"Akira" is set in Neo-Tokyo in 2019, 31 years after World War III. The rebuilt city, looking like an animated "Blade Runner" prototype, is under military rule, though barely: Packs of motorcycle-riding cyberpunks race through the streets engaging in deadly jousts. One pack, led by Kaneda, has a run in with a physically withered but telekinetically charged child named Takashi. As a result, one of Kaneda's pals, the emotionally scarred Tetsuo, is captured by the mysterious military-scientific coalition that rules Neo-Tokyo. Soon, Tetsuo's powers grow out of control and he becomes the focus of a battle between oppressive authorities, an underground resistance group, Kaneda's gang and a trio of fellow psychics terrified that he will unleash "Akira" and once more destroy the world. All of this unfolds at a fast-forward pace.

What makes it work is the astounding animation, 160,000 cells worth. The detail is exceptionally realistic, fluid and multidimensional, suggesting both a futuristic world and ancient quests. Otomoto's neon-lit Neo-Tokyo is a marvel of post-apocalyptic tension and desires. "Akira" is equally astounding for its color design, whether in the brightness of Neo-Tokyo, the damp darkness of its underground or the steely edge of its scientific outposts and military hardware. It's a complete world sprung from Otomoto's pen and imagination, and realized in 327 colors.

A warning to parents of young children: "Akira" is not rated, but it does contain quite a bit of graphic violence, and not of the "Roadrunner" variety. When bullets fly, punches land and folks die, blood flows, copiously. There are several "Scanners"-style showdowns, "Altered States"-like hallucinations and none of the comic release usually found in cartoons. This is probably not a good film for anyone under 12.

Of course, "Akira" is not a long cartoon, but an ambitious animated feature that can be seen as a parable of scientific responsibility and cosmic rebirth, or just an action-packed serial. Or it can be seen as a visceral example of the future of animation.

Akira is not rated, but contains graphic scenes of violence

Theaters in Japan are still operating, despite the virus.

Is that stupid? I don't know. I'm not a doctor. But if I suddenly stop posting and am never heard from again I guess you know the answer.

Anyway, to commemorate the release of AKIRA on 4K at the end of the month, there was a limited run in IMAX.

I just saw it today. Sound was insane....I heard all kinds of crazy stuff I never heard before. Picture was incredible too, but honestly, even the scratchy 35 mm print I saw several times last year had amazing picture. I swear, there's so much detail it's impossible to see it all no matter how many times you've seen it.

I feel extremely fortunate I was able to experience Neo Tokyo in IMAX.....I wish you guys could too.

Unless of course, I caught the virus. In which case....maybe it wasn't worth it.

akira imax big.jpg

Was just thinking why this hasn't been made into a movie yet. Taika would do a great job. Looking forward to seeing this.

Don't know if any of you guys picked up the 4K version or not. I got it last year, but I don't have a 4K TV so I'll have to wait. But even on bluray it looks amazing. I took some screenshots of some of my favorite images, mostly stuff with amazing backgrounds and cool action in the foreground. Even if you don't like anime or think this is a boring movie, I think anyone that loves animation should at least watch the first 15 minutes. Even after 30 years it looks incredible.

003.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h07m04s306.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h07m32s243.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h09m30s800.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h13m33s370.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h17m07s507.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h19m59s859.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h21m19s681.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h25m38s231.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h29m57s093.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h37m12s586.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h40m51s325.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h44m18s183.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h49m06s573.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h56m50s169.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-03h07m21s437.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-03h11m36s215.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-03h13m36s649.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-03h15m17s228.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-04-02-03h16m53s818.jpg

Don't know if any of you guys picked up the 4K version or not. I got it last year, but I don't have a 4K TV so I'll have to wait. But even on bluray it looks amazing. I took some screenshots of some of my favorite images, mostly stuff with amazing backgrounds and cool action in the foreground. Even if you don't like anime or think this is a boring movie, I think anyone that loves animation should at least watch the first 15 minutes. Even after 30 years it looks incredible.

View attachment 509939
View attachment 509940
View attachment 509941
View attachment 509942
View attachment 509943
View attachment 509944
View attachment 509945
View attachment 509946
View attachment 509947
View attachment 509948
View attachment 509949
View attachment 509950
View attachment 509951
View attachment 509952
View attachment 509953
View attachment 509954
View attachment 509955
View attachment 509956
View attachment 509957
View attachment 509958

It does look fantastic on blu. I haven't picked up the 4K version yet despite having a nice 4K TV because they mistakenly rolled out the discs with no HDR whatsoever and supposedly were going to reissue the film with corrected discs early this year. Do you know if they did that yet?

https://www.engadget.com/akira-4k-b...nGo8iHp-simH1Ftyp2joxFHbqXduZQ4cqxxS0Xpsh_D-a

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like they fixed the problem, time to order my copy! :rock

Here's a comparison pic with the updated disc image on the right. Deeper blacks and more vibrant colors.

akira-hdr-no-hdr-comparison-2.jpg

I was waiting for the updated version with the HDR also. I need to go ahead and get it. Always was a beautiful looking movie.

To think I actually had a key cel of Kaneda getting on his bike after uncovering it. Blows my mind what it would be worth now....

I ordered 4K AKIRA from Walmart because they seemed to have the best price and it just arrived but it was the original disc without HDR so I'll be sending Funimation an email with my proof of purchase to get the new disc shortly. However I've got the movie playing in the background right now and it is still AMAZING looking. And I'm actually glad that it's working out that I'll get to have two versions on 4K, one with HDR and one without.

I know there are some purists like Criterion who consider HDR on older films to be a bit of a "Special Edition" enhancement that undermines the original presentation of the film so I look forward to watching both versions of AKIRA and seeing which I prefer. Because I can easily say that the straight 4K version of AKIRA with no HDR is the BEST that this film has ever looked and I do appreciate that the colors are exactly as I remember them.

So if anyone wants ONLY the HDR version don't order from Walmart just yet, if you want both go right ahead. :)

I haven't had a chance to check out the 4K disc that came with the Japanese release last year, but there was a CD disc too. Immediately I felt the colors were sharper than the previous CD releases. Only thing to be aware of is that the soundtrack seems somewhat tweaked, with different parts of the song disappearing into different levels of dynamic range.

Having owned the Streamline VHS since 1990 this was a little jarring to me.

The picture absolutely blows my damn mind. Was it really 1987/88 when they conceived of this? How come over 30 years later nothing can come close.

One thing I saw in the IMAX version that I wondered if it was put there by some tired overworked animator. I don't remember every being able to read the lettering so clearly on the machinery before, on the far right. This is the scene when the Colonel first visits Kyoko to hear about her dreams of premonition.

What do you suppose it was trying to say?

vlcsnap-2021-04-02-02h31m54s479.png

Enlarge it...my god every frame of the movie looks THAT good!!

Yep it really does.

Which audio track do you listen to? When I saw it at the theater a couple years ago it was Japanese with subtitles but to me AKIRA is the English 2.0 mix from 1988 because that was the original audio that I heard and always listened to when watching it back in the day. Cam Clarke/Jimmy Flinders just IS Kaneda to me (also the voice of Max Sterling in Robotech.)

The new English dub they did in 2001 was nice but just couldn't replace the original for me.

I grew on the old "Leonardo" as "Kaneda" dub but I doubt I've listened to it in well over 20 years.

I go Japanese all the way!

Normally I'm a subtitles guy but for AKIRA and Miyazaki flicks I always go with the English dubs.

Watching AKIRA on the big screen with subtitles was actually a tad annoying because I was doing so much reading I was missing half the awesome animation, lol.

But you speak Japanese don't you so that obviously wouldn't be an issue for you.

Confession time: even after 10 years here my Japanese is utter ****. BUT....I watched the old Streamline dub SOOOOO many times I "hear" it in my head when I watch AKIRA so I leave subs off so I can just enjoy the glorious majesty of the art.

Had a bit of a harder time at Evangelion 3.30+1.0 a few weeks ago.....sheesh!

I received my replacement 4K AKIRA disc with HDR from Funimation. What was nice is that they didn't ask that I send back the non-HDR version so now I have an awesomely restored 4K version replicating the theatrical experience and then the fancy new HDR version with deeper blacks and more vibrant colors. After sampling the HDR version I think that will be my go to version from here on out but I'm glad I have both versions.

Back