Akira

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the unbridled hype amongst sci-fi geeks and film nerds, I finally decided to give this a try.

First thing that hit me like a ton of bricks is that it looks like a generic anime.

The second thing is how slow and dumb it is.

Edit: aaaannd I'm out. I gave it a full hour. This is the cinematic equivalent of Otomofan's posts but less fun. A anime turd is still a turd. I don't give a crap about the characters or story. Utter fail on the filmmakers' and animators part. No thanks. I'm sure I'll be accused of "just not getting it" but I just call it like I see it. Slow paced animes are fine if there's compelling characters or story...this is just wankery. No wonder this aired on the sci-fi channel.

Try genocyber.... so much better. Genocyber has similar themes and touches upon some of the same elements, but it is done sooo much better, higher quality in every way .
The story is a lot more complex, the characters are more interesting, the plot is a lot more engaging,
Even the gore is not just done for the sake of shock, even the gore in genocyber is more meaninful than Akira.
Akira sometimes feels like the creator forgot about the story and just went wild with the visuals, feels like he just had a very basic premise and focused more on going wild on the amount of shocking imagery he could create.
But that story is not that great. And outside the shock factor it tends to be very boring.

Is hard to talk about it without spoiling genocyber, but it is more faster paced, more engaging, you care more about the suffering of the characters, the action is awesome, i just love it.
Akira is just all about the visuals, doesnt have the substance.
And even if you love shock and gore there are a lot better options than akira.

After the unbridled hype amongst sci-fi geeks and film nerds, I finally decided to give this a try.

First thing that hit me like a ton of bricks is that it looks like a generic anime.

The second thing is how slow and dumb it is.

Edit: aaaannd I'm out. I gave it a full hour. This is the cinematic equivalent of Otomofan's posts but less fun. A anime turd is still a turd. I don't give a crap about the characters or story. Utter fail on the filmmakers' and animators part. No thanks. I'm sure I'll be accused of "just not getting it" but I just call it like I see it. Slow paced animes are fine if there's compelling characters or story...this is just wankery. No wonder this aired on the sci-fi channel.

Awwwww honey.....did I hurt your feelings cause I didn't like a movie? Maybe your mommy can kiss your booboo and make it all better.

Try genocyber.... so much better. Genocyber has similar themes and touches upon some of the same elements, but it is done sooo much better, higher quality in every way .
The story is a lot more complex, the characters are more interesting, the plot is a lot more engaging,
Even the gore is not just done for the sake of shock, even the gore in genocyber is more meaninful than Akira.
Akira sometimes feels like the creator forgot about the story and just went wild with the visuals, feels like he just had a very basic premise and focused more on going wild on the amount of shocking imagery he could create.
But that story is not that great. And outside the shock factor it tends to be very boring.

Is hard to talk about it without spoiling genocyber, but it is more faster paced, more engaging, you care more about the suffering of the characters, the action is awesome, i just love it.
Akira is just all about the visuals, doesnt have the substance.
And even if you love shock and gore there are a lot better options than akira.

That's a dangerous, most dangerous opinion Crows, but everyone knows MD Geist is the peak of anime as an art form.

That's a dangerous, most dangerous opinion Crows, but everyone knows MD Geist is the peak of anime as an art form.

always remember the truth about anime

1cGKeBo.jpg

As much as I adore this movie, I CAN see why it's not for everyone. It's graphically violent, it's hard sci-fi, the characters look "realistic" and not cutesy like a lot of other anime, and the biggest part: it's downright grotesque. Especially Tetsuo's mutation.

And I'll even admit that the story tends to drag in the middle, when Kaneda and Kei are prisoners, and there's a lot of talking and no action. But the beginning, with that motorcycle rumble between the gangs? Man, that's so freaking cool. And then things get going again as Tetsuo "releases" Akira and they fire the SOL laser cannon, and the whole climactic battle and the mutation and stuff.

What I was trying to say earlier, is even if you're not a sci-fi or even anime fan, it's still worth watching at least once just to witness the sheer artistry of the animation. The fluidity of the characters and all the action going on is like nothing before or since. Still blows my mind it was all done by hand. No sitting in front of a computer moving pixels around....these poor bastards had to draw and paint hundreds of thousands of cels. Also the first Japanese anime that ever had the dialogue recorded first and then had the characters animated later, Disney style.

I think it deserves to be up there with Snow White or Fantasia as far as greatest animated works of all time. I can fully understand hating the story or the plot, but it should be required viewing for any serious animation aficionado at least once.

As much as I adore this movie, I CAN see why it's not for everyone. It's graphically violent, it's hard sci-fi, the characters look "realistic" and not cutesy like a lot of other anime, and the biggest part: it's downright grotesque. Especially Tetsuo's mutation.

And I'll even admit that the story tends to drag in the middle, when Kaneda and Kei are prisoners, and there's a lot of talking and no action. But the beginning, with that motorcycle rumble between the gangs? Man, that's so freaking cool. And then things get going again as Tetsuo "releases" Akira and they fire the SOL laser cannon, and the whole climactic battle and the mutation and stuff.

What I was trying to say earlier, is even if you're not a sci-fi or even anime fan, it's still worth watching at least once just to witness the sheer artistry of the animation. The fluidity of the characters and all the action going on is like nothing before or since. Still blows my mind it was all done by hand. No sitting in front of a computer moving pixels around....these poor bastards had to draw and paint hundreds of thousands of cels. Also the first Japanese anime that ever had the dialogue recorded first and then had the characters animated later, Disney style.

I think it deserves to be up there with Snow White or Fantasia as far as greatest animated works of all time. I can fully understand hating the story or the plot, but it should be required viewing for any serious animation aficionado at least once.

Watch genocyber, thats gonna crush your brain

People in Japan seem to be enjoying that it's 2019, the year that AKIRA and Blade Runner take place.

One of the nice things about living near Tokyo is that I can go see AKIRA in small art movie houses every now and then.

This weekend I'm going to an all night anime fest in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. It starts around 10 or 11 and goes to 6 AM.

First up is "Wicked City"....then "Harmageddon".....the "Neo Tokyo (aka Labyrinth Story)...and the grand finale AKIRA. Yeah, I own it on VHS tapes, laserdiscs, DVDs, and blurays, but it's always fun to see it in 35MM. Last time I saw it there was a lot of "noise" on the picture, but still, seeing it so BIG and glorious is totally worth it.

If you guys wanna join me if you hop on a place now, you just might make it!

Anyway ever see AKIRA properly on a big screen, on film or digital or even a projected VHS? My first time was at the Cleveland Cinemateque in 1990 and my life has never been the same....

Akira takes place in 2019? Damn technology sucks. We don’t have bikes nearly as good as kaneada’s

Back