FRODO'S UP!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fritz said:
Exactly! Please, please, please Sideshow, SCRAP THE NAMEPLATES for this very reason!
maybe they should make the environment base of the figure not attached to the name plate base, but rather sit inside of it. That way you could turn the figure one way and keep the name plate centered. Or turn it all the way to the back so it doesnt show at all.

Shaihulud said:
Lollll ,Come on Josh....

The eyes are really my only issue with it. Other than that I just don't have any major issues with it. My only fear with the paint is he will come out looking like some of the Luke 1/4 pieces.

If Elijah Wood was not associated with the part of Frodo then certainly this is a fine sculpt. But since this line appears to be based on the film adaptation of the film ‘Lord of the Rings’ only blind love for Sideshow could let you believe this is a good likeness. Apart from the hair and costume which is excellent this looks absolutely nothing like Elijah Wood, nothing like the actor who has played the part.

I am not saying that this is a bad piece as I like it enough to order the piece but since Sideshow have taken it upon themselves to create likeness sculpts then critique on the likeness is warranted. Maybe the original unpainted sculpt was perfect, this is highly probable, the finished product shown in those pictures cannot be described as a good likeness even by diehard fans of Sideshow which I consider myself to be.

I think the cloak and the backpack look a little too big for the character, but the rest of his clothes look fantastic.

Nice to see that they fixed the feet too.

Well, I'll be saving money on this one. And I even think the 12" Aragron is better than some folks are giving it, but this one...very underwhelming.

That just means I can save my cash for the PF Buffy.

Bullseye said:
only blind love for Sideshow could let you believe this is a good likeness.

In your opinion of course. I love it how if you like something your an asskisser to SS or blind love for them. Maybe some of us see something that is or isn't there. Yet we are wrong for it. Who gave you all the (ones not liking it, etc.) to peg hole us that do? The ego's of some members is amazing IMO. For me personally I think it looks like EW. I don't give a **** if SS is the one doing this or not! I like it because it's LOTR and I think it looks like EW and yes has the essence I look for. If you don't feel that way great! However, don't bust my balls or say stupid **** about me or others that like it because we do. It's simply a difference of opinion. :)

Fritz said:
Now there's a spot on likeness. :cool:

I'm hopeful, although I can't be sure yet from what little we've seen.

Besides, just like some folks here would by Frodo if he looked like a flour sack with hair on top, all they have to do is plop a blonde wig on an 18" stick figure and tell me it's Buffy, and my wallet is open. Of course, once I get her, she might not get a great review, but I'll still be getting her.

But I'm hopeful.

jlcmsu said:
In your opinion of course. I love it how if you like something your an asskisser to SS or blind love for them. Maybe some of us see something that is or isn't there. Yet we are wrong for it. Who gave you all the (ones not liking it, etc.) to peg hole us that do? The ego's of some members is amazing IMO. For me personally I think it looks like EW. I don't give a **** if SS is the one doing this or not! I like it because it's LOTR and I think it looks like EW and yes has the essence I look for. If you don't feel that way great! However, don't bust my balls or say stupid **** about me or others that like it because we do. It's simply a difference of opinion. :)

How have I insulted you in my Analysis of the sculpt. I simply stated that this doesn’t look like Elijah Wood and I can’t see the likeness. My critique was on the likeness which again IMO is not right and I can give a ****s ass about your opinion as you do about mine and everyone else who disagree with you. So I guess we will agree to differ.

Bullseye said:
How have I insulted you in my Analysis of the sculpt. I simply stated that this doesn’t look like Elijah Wood and I can’t see the likeness. My critique was on the likeness which again IMO is not right and I can give a ****s ass about your opinion as you do about mine and everyone else who disagree with you. So I guess we will agree to differ.

How about a quote like this which is what I used in my last post:

Bullseye said:
only blind love for Sideshow could let you believe this is a good likeness.

Your saying only a blind love to SS allows you to think this piece has a good sculpt. Then go my last post again and see if this clues you in. :)

jlcmsu said:
How about a quote like this which is what I used in my last post:

Your saying only a blind love to SS allows you to think this piece has a good sculpt. Then go my last post again and see if this clues you in. :)

That is incorrect. At least quote correctly. I said the sculpt was fine but the likeness was not right based on the Elijah Wood likeness. I never said the sculpt wasn't good. In fact if you read my first post you will see that i even said i liked it enough to order it. But its just not like EW.;)

Ok likeness then but my point is that your saying only blind love to SS allows you to think that way. Either way I got it coming and that's all I care about. :D

I've gotta say that I think this likeness of Frodo looks pretty "off".
As in - not even remotely close to Elijah Wood as Frodo in the films.

There is no way I can bring myself to see Frodo from the films in this piece,
where Lurtz is spot on exact, and looks absolutely amazing.

I hope Sideshow corrects Frodo, to be far more accurate to the film look.

JS :peace

Bullseye said:
If Elijah Wood was not associated with the part of Frodo then certainly this is a fine sculpt.
I am not saying that this is a bad piece as I like it enough to order the piece but since Sideshow have taken it upon themselves to create likeness sculpts then critique on the likeness is warranted. Maybe the original unpainted sculpt was perfect, this is highly probable, the finished product shown in those pictures cannot be described as a good likeness even by diehard fans of Sideshow which I consider myself to be.

Bullseye you took the words out of my mouth, couldn't agree more, I SO wanted this statue to be more than it APPEARS to be, it could as usual be stunning in real life, wait and see. I still find myself waiting to order him though which is not like me...........can't decide.:rolleyes:

The close-up pic does "resemble" Elijah somewhat, the wide-shot does not look much like him at all. I ordered it , am not sure about it. Don't like the cheesy base with the label on it. Lurtz rocks, Frodo doesn't.

Children . . . *tsk tsk tsk* :wacky

Anyway . . . I think the main problem is that Hobbit hair (especially depicting the wigs used in the films) is amazingly difficult to have look good sculpted, as evidenced by many ridiculous-looking Toy Biz figures and the good but not great Sideshow Weta pieces.

As was said, it looks like he just got out of the shower or something, lol.

If they didn't already do it that way, the hair sculpt maybe should have been a separate piece.

As for the Wood likeness, it's there I guess, but not $250 there. SS is going to have to step things up a bit if they want the LotR PF to go on. There is just not THAT much more bang for your buck offered thus far, especially with how quality the 12" offerings look to be.

jlcmsu said:
I guess if you wanna consider that busting his balls because he decided to try and peg hole some folks then fine.

I have never heard of the phrase "peg hole" before. Do you mean pigeonhole? I'm just wondering since you have used it twice and I'm afraid I'm missing something. :)

Unique Soul said:
I have never heard of the phrase "peg hole" before. Do you mean pigeonhole? I'm just wondering since you have used it twice and I'm afraid I'm missing something. :)

Means the same thing. That's what I call a Joshism. LOL:wacky

Back