FRODO'S UP!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darklord Dave said:
It's the same likeness as we saw before, and the sculpt is excellent. The eyes are painted a bit weird, but I'm a bit surprised by this reaction. I must be seeing different pictures than most of you.

Also please keep in mind - express your opinion, but let's curtail the over the top reactions and please make constructive comments.

Thanks.

I agree. I can see where people think this is off, but I'm sure the sculpt is good. The paint and photography are what's making it look so bad, IMO. The good news is that we'll know for sure in a few days when the Toyfair pics come out.

I'll let this MSN conversation I was having with a mate, who is/was an avid LOTR like me, do the talking. (I'm the cinnamon one... they're song lyrics by the way)

Hey hey your giving all your cinnamon away (MSN)
u look at it?
Little Mona Lisa laying by my side Crimson and Clover pulling overtime (MSN)
lol
thats ****

Thankyou for your time.

Still not getting into the PF line. The 12" stuff is both more affordable and features more accomplished sculpts. Which is great for my wallet!

HighElven said:
I'll let this MSN conversation I was having with a mate, who is/was an avid LOTR like me, do the talking. (I'm the cinnamon one... they're song lyrics by the way)

u look at it?
lol
thats ****

Thankyou for your time.

Kings of Leon - sweet! :banana

Back on topic... Have to say it looks disappointing. I hope it's just the pics, but can't say I'm tripping over myself to order. :sick

What time did the bad boy newsletter get posted, im in the Uk and got up at 3.10am and it wasn't there, or did I dream that?

Anyway, Frodo looks class, will definately be ordering this one.

I know some of this maybe due to photography, but here is my intial impressions:

- the jawline is too rounded and unpronounced

- the orbital bones (cheek bones) are not pronounced enough leading to not deep enough eye sockets on the bottom side.

- the face is not weathered enough giving no structure to the skin

- the eyebrows are too pronounced

- the hair is too symetrical

- the eyes seems too bloodshot

It seems the Frodo within this sculpt need to lose about 10 vanity pounds and needs a tanning bed. With the lack of bone/skull structure or density along with depth and/or shading, you are forced to focus on the eyes. It kind of reminds me of Village the Damned or, minus the hair and eyebrows, the Alien from Cocoon.

On the positive side, I believe the eyes, eye color, symetry of the face, chin, nose, and mouth are correct. Also, I am satisfied with pose, base, and costume.

I really hope that a bright room during photography is the cause for such a detail draining exposure...... So I have too hold out for further perspectives.....I won't be purchasing this yet.

Its funny..cause at this moment, the STAR WARS and LOTR lines looks better in 12'' than in their premium format figures..and it should be the opposite...The Frodo sculpt is not that bad..but again its a case of bizarre paint job and photography...it looks like a weta sculpt(meaning IMO: not a very good human likeness).

I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm not really liking the name plate. It doesn't look bad at all but I don't like the fact that you are pretty much forced to have the statue posed at a specific angle in order to have the name plate centered. Frodo's face may look better from a different angle but then the name plate will be off center and it won't look good.

I still think the hair looks a bit wet and lying too flat against his head.

u look at it?
lol
thats ****

Thankyou for your time.

HUH?!!!!

Eric

Darklord Dave said:
It's the same likeness as we saw before, and the sculpt is excellent. The eyes are painted a bit weird, but I'm a bit surprised by this reaction. I must be seeing different pictures than most of you.

Also please keep in mind - express your opinion, but let's curtail the over the top reactions and please make constructive comments.

Thanks.

Consturctive? Okay they did a good job on the outfit. I cannot disagree with you more when you say the sculpt is excellent. Certainly not for a $250+ statue. For an action figure, perhaps. I am one of the MOST dedicated Sideshow fans, and while I do agree that profanity and personal attacks on people should not be tolerated, I just can't justify to myself not being as blatently honest in my opinion as possible. Perhaps adding a good with each bad is a more helpful way to go, I was just overwhelmed in shock after the truley amazing job they did with Lurtz.

Last edited:
Vonhahn said:
...I was just overwhelmed in shock after the truley amazing job they did with Lurtz.

I think this is the one factor that Dave and others are not seeing: The expectations were set high with Lurtz. Perhaps too high.

The sculpt is alright but not mind blowing. People were expecting mind blowing. When that did not happen you get the semi-negative and mostly disappointing replies in here.

I don't see how anyone can argue that this looks like Elijah Wood. You have to rub your eyes and then squint in order to see it. Similar like we had to when Aragorn 12" pics were released. Then again Aragorn not looking like Viggo is more forgivable at $60 instead of $250 they are asking for this exclusive lacking Frodo 1/4.

Thought the scuplt was great, but the paintjob is pretty sad. Improve the paintjob and it will be an in demand piece for sure. There is no depth to the paint and it makes the whole thing look flat. Fix that sideshow!

I think the problem with this piece is the same with Mace Windu - the eyes. Frodo looks like he's been crying and Mace looks like he's on drugs. With the correct paintjob, these could both be awesome pieces. Once again, it'll be the paintjob that makes or breaks these.

SolidLiquidFox said:
I think this is the one factor that Dave and others are not seeing: The expectations were set high with Lurtz. Perhaps too high.

What? Lurtz for me factors in with a big "0" on Frodo. It's a different piece and my expectations are set based on my personal feelings not the last piece.

Beruthiel said:
Thought the scuplt was great, but the paintjob is pretty sad.

I'm gonna have to disagree B. It's an excellent piece in all aspects really. I don't see the paint job at all being bad. The eyes could be a tad brighter but that's my only gripe.

jlcmsu said:
What? Lurtz for me factors in with a big "0" on Frodo. It's a different piece and my expectations are set based on my personal feelings not the last piece.

I'm gonna have to disagree B. It's an excellent piece in all aspects really. I don't see the paint job at all being bad. The eyes could be a tad brighter but that's my only gripe.

WOW! jlcmsu likes this piece! I'm SHOCKED, I tell you, SHOCKED! :D

jlcmsu said:

Lollll ,Come on Josh....

leebgb said:
...I don't like the fact that you are pretty much forced to have the statue posed at a specific angle in order to have the name plate centered...

Exactly! Please, please, please Sideshow, SCRAP THE NAMEPLATES for this very reason! :sick

Also, count me in the group that doesn't think this looks like Elijah Wood at all but the clothes and feet look fine. That being said, I'm still getting it.

Back