Fred barton 1:1 Robocop bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without a doubt that was one of the most nervous openings of any bust ever! After all the talk and catching a glimpse of Howard S's broken bust I really did not know what to expect. I have put a lot of pics of the packaging as the pics taken previously of the bust are immense and I wanted to share some unseen photos. Apologies for the poor photos but my bro has my slr camera.

The box is massive and there was a hole!
b736b451.jpg

I noticed this which I guess shows it was a rough ride on the trip over however I was impressed that Fred went to these lengths with the packaging.
169e43f5.jpg

The hole continued into the inner box which made me sweat big time!
f8670af7.jpg

A set of instructions as you on the top of the inner box.
13fc39d8.jpg

Layers of bubble wrap covering the head
eded178d.jpg

Tonnes of 'pop corn' needed to be removed
e5fdd3fa.jpg

The certificate of authenticity, I have number 12!
7dfd4b2a.jpg

After rolls of cling film plastic and styrofoam I finally had the bust uncovered.
f9adb181.jpg

Looking good.congrats.
Bet your well happy it is not damaged.

So I am sure it will come as a disappointment to many that its not perfect. So I will share the bad and good points...

The issue with the chin guard and skin is still apparent
6c376947.jpg

a3103e21.jpg

There is also paint from the silver helmet part to the chin guard

f6435f5d.jpg

7b76dc61.jpg

The neck piece has a rather strange chip
400684b8.jpg

Not even sure why this chip is here
2b5b230f.jpg

The paint has worn away somewhat from ribbing or being picked up when the paint is not dry?
cd745cc9.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Amaze.

Looks like the only way to solve that is to make a complete new mold for the mouth/face. Cast and paint separately from the chin guard.

And the issues from the sides looks to be the parts weren't hold together tight enough before the glue was set. And there shouldn't be paint chips on the chin guard.

Looks like there are still casting issues remain on the bust. I also noticed that the spacings in the small grill plate on the chest is now painted in black.

Teeth not fully painted, I had to use a flash to see inside the mouth
311bb281.jpg

Flash used to highlight paint not fully done in hard to reach areas
760f2648.jpg

Last edited:
Well it looks like the bust has a few bad issue. This is disappointing. For this price it should be perfect. There are just too many problems with this piece IMO.

2b5b230f.jpg

That is a air pocket that was made when the mold was poured. Thats what normally happens to someone making it in there garage..... ie....ME not a "PRO/Robot man :("

There is no denying that when you look closely at it you will find fault but isn’t that true with every bust? I have almost all of the major life size busts and I must say that across all the major companies (Sideshow, HCG) the quality is going downhill year on year. I think that this is part of a bigger issue for collectors that Sideshow and others are thinking $$$ rather than about keeping the collector happy with quality collectibles.

After all those photos you might think I would be fuming and want it sent back for a refund. However I love it! Even with the imperfections and yes there are a few as I have shown, it is still an awesome bust. It has a fantastic presence and I just can’t stop looking at it! I love the shine of the armour, the determined look of the face, the style of the base and the size of the whole piece. Overall it is amazing and I am very happy.

With regards to Fred himself I can see that he has done all he could to make sure it got to me safely. The extra box and the shock watch sticker along with an email to check it arrived safely today show a real extra effort being made. In my experience he does communicate and to be frank if he does not respond to your emails CALL HIM!

The original Robocop costume was never looked under the microscope as much as we do with these collectibles using flashes and 18 million pixel cameras! The chin strap was if I am correct made of latex and full of imperfections and I am certain the one on the bust is a million times better.

This Robocop bust is fantastic with some minor imperfections but I love it and at the end of the day that is the most important thing. The Joker bust arrives next week so will be reviewing that too. Any questions just let me know...

2df2e455.jpg

2e749e78.jpg

Sorry mate, but the quality and attention to detail on this bust just isn't there. It looks awesome for sure, congrats on getting it - I have this ordered and won't be cancelling it - but I find this similar to the HCG Joker bust in that it has a first class sculpt with flaws and imperfections that show a lack of passion and attention to detail that just doesn't justify the price. And once again it looks like I will have to apply the finish to an $800 bust that should have been done at the factory.
:gah:

Every 1:1 piece I own has "flaws" All made by Sideshow.

Who cares, they're so miniscule its crazy. Awesome pics btw, congrats it looks fantastic!

I haven't heard anything new on this. While I want to know what is goingo n, I have decided to not bug Fred so he can focus on completing them and staying positive while doing it, instead of getting caught up in the negativity.

wow, there's been so little movement on this since the first batch went out to a small bunch of collectors (myself included). what's taking so long, i wonder. is fred working on improving those early flaws? or is he simply struggling to cope with the normal demands of production?

that aside, i have to say the robo bust is now a firm favourite in my home. every single guest immediately gravitates to it, and they ALL end up touching the face, saying, "wow, he looks so lifelike." i've long since looked past the (numerous) quality/paint issues and just moved on to enjoying this piece as the work of art that it is. :)

Got a refund on my deposit. He kept telling me, I will send within a few days'. Never happened. Why couldn't he just be honest and say they aren't ready yet. I'd probably have kept my order but the man is a liar and I think probably a bit of a fraud. He told me I could have a damaged one that he couldn't be bothered to mend an he would send me pics. I said I would look at the pics and decide. Guess what? No pics, so I e-mailed him again and said ' thanks so much for the pics you failed to send me yet again, I would like a refund or I will do a chargeback, which my bank has assured me will be in my favour.' he emailed me back a few hours later, pictures attached saying ' this is the bust I was telling you about but I have now sold it and you wanted a refund'. What the hell is that? That email really pissed me off. The guy is a total codpiece.

Back