Fork in the road - visual effects or comics?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, long story short... I'm 19 years old and I've been looking to get into the visual effects industry for about a year now. However, I've been drawing a LOT lately and it feels like I'm starting to gravitate toward comics and illustrations. Problem is, I'm supposed to go to a Vancouver VFX school in the fall. I need to make up my mind fast.

Can anyone help shed some light on what the illustration/comic industry is like (starting pay, hours, working environment, personal anecdotes)? I love comics and drawing them, and that's more what my drawing style is like, but... :gah:

I am surprised you didn't go to DMD at RRC in the Peg. Great program. Not sure how it comes to the BC school, but it's good. I am going back to finish up there.

btw The comic industry is not lucrative. It's a very tough gig to make good money. I know a few people who are in it that would steer you clear. Like your Doug Wheatleys.

Comics may be a tough gig, but the requisite skills have other commercial applications, ie graphic illustration for advertising. The problem with comic illustration - and 3d modeling - is that their respective markets are saturated. Either of these paths is best taken with one or two other related skills to separate you from the pack.

Back