Final Fantasy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mega fan have all orig games from nes to Xbox :) saw the statues in shop for 300 a peice but couldn't afford it at the time shame such amazing pieces if art :)

Shame how this franchise use to be great.

Yeah, the last great game in the series was FF 12. Square Enix has just watered down the franchise with sequels for FF 13.

As for FF 13, I started playing it a few nights ago, and I absolutely hated it :lol. All of the characters look so strange; like pretty-boy K-pop celebrities. I'm used to seeing stylized designs from Amano's artwork, but the sheer amount of androgynous flamboyance in FF 13 is unlike anything I've ever seen. Square must have made that game for chicks.

The linearity of level progressing, and lack of exploration is also very uninspiring.

I never did make it through 13 (and I'm a chick) waay off base for a FF game. Trust me when I say, 13-2 was way better. And no, you don't have to finish 13 for it to make sense.

By far, 7-12 are my faves.

12 get's a lot of stick too but i don't think it's a bad game at all

Feels like it seems to have a more mythical fantasy element than the rest

What a coincidence that this thread got revived, I was just contemplating on playing FF13. I briefly tried out a friends' copy a few years ago and bought one myself, but I never gotten around unwrapping it.

As for FF 13, I started playing it a few nights ago, and I absolutely hated it :lol. All of the characters look so strange; like pretty-boy K-pop celebrities. I'm used to seeing stylized designs from Amano's artwork, but the sheer amount of androgynous flamboyance in FF 13 is unlike anything I've ever seen. Square must have made that game for chicks.

What are you talking about?? Amano art is ridiculously androgynous... more-so than Nomura.

amanoffix.jpg

Final_Fantasy_V_OVA_Amano_Promo_Pin-up.jpg

ff7-cloudaerith.jpg

13-2 has a way better antagonist, story (might be debatable), gameplay, and made characters like Hope very likable; but, it definitely feels like more of an expansion than a full game. The production value of XIII is much higher.

Last edited:
There hasn't been a good FF since FFVII.

'Nuff said.

I would like to see Square Enix give one of the Final Fantasy's to a Western studio and see what THEY come up with. I know FF is the holy grail of JRPGs but there comes a time when a series does need some new blood in it to be fresh again. Look what happened when Castlevania was given to a Western studio. And Square has purchased Eidos as well. Maybe allow Eidos to do one of the Final Fantasy games.

And where the F is Chrono 3?

Since VII? Uh no. Proven by fans and aggregate reviews.

The new Castlevania's aren't really getting spectacular reception...

What are you talking about?? Amano art is ridiculously androgynous... more-so than Nomura.

13-2 has a way better antagonist, story (might be debatable), gameplay, and made characters like Hope very likable; but, it definitely feels like more of an expansion than a full game. The production value of XIII is much higher.

It still doesn't get away from the fact that all of the characters from FF 13 look like failed, girly-man K-pop performers. Aesthetically, it takes away from the playability of the game (for me, anyway). Hope has to be one of the worst characters that I've seen. Of any game for that matter. The same thing goes for that annoying Vanille. I don't think I'll be visiting 13-2 any time soon :slap.

'Nuff said.

I would like to see Square Enix give one of the Final Fantasy's to a Western studio and see what THEY come up with. I know FF is the holy grail of JRPGs but there comes a time when a series does need some new blood in it to be fresh again. Look what happened when Castlevania was given to a Western studio. And Square has purchased Eidos as well. Maybe allow Eidos to do one of the Final Fantasy games.

I agree with this the series sucks now.

FF VI is still my all time favorite game of the series. No other JRPG compares to it, in my opinion.

'Nuff said.

VI was better than VII.

VIII was ok, but was still good.

IX was good.

X was... weird.

As for Chrono trigger, any future chrono grames have been rendered impossible for the short term due to weird-*** japanese copywrite laws.

My favorites were FF IV, V, VI and Tactics. VII and XI were good, but I just couldn't handle the J-pop designs and the series shift to Sci-fi instead of Fantasy.

FFVI was great because it didn't really focus primarily on a single protagonist. It was about each individual going through their own personal trials and demons and using their friendships to tackle the bigger issues. Not to mention Nobuo Uematsu did one of the greatest Videogame Compositions ever (every single PC had their own unique theme), especially considering it was done on basically midis. And more importantly it didn't contrive a love story (cough FF8 and 9) into the main plot just for the sake of having one, just a few very subtle ones, again as part of the characters own growth.

VI was better than VII.

VIII was ok, but was still good.

IX was good.

X was... weird.

As for Chrono trigger, any future chrono grames have been rendered impossible for the short term due to weird-*** japanese copywrite laws.

Wow, I never knew that about the Chrono games. I always wondered why there hasn't been another game in the series since Chrono Cross.

FFVI was great because it didn't really focus primarily on a single protagonist. It was about each individual going through their own personal trials and demons and using their friendships to tackle the bigger issues. Not to mention Nobuo Uematsu did one of the greatest Videogame Compositions ever (every single PC had their own unique theme), especially considering it was done on basically midis. And more importantly it didn't contrive a love story (cough FF8 and 9) into the main plot just for the sake of having one, just a few very subtle ones, again as part of the characters own growth.

I love FF VI for those very reasons that you mention. Each character had their own stories and tragedies that were explored in the storyline. The art direction was also was also more "fantasy" based, compared to the J-pop looking characters in the more recent games.

It's definitely my favorite RPG of all time. Chrono Trigger comes in as a close second.

Back