Figures of color?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love a good Shaft.....:D

facepalm2.jpg

I guess Wai Lin, the African American male and female Buck figures, Crazy Horse weren't mentioned yet.

My best friend is black and we've had this conversation several times. While I don't think SSC is by any means racist, I think it is a variety of reasons and mainly because black figures aren't as profitable. Of the generic Buck figures, only the black version is left (Of which I have purchased three so far and plan on at least three more for customs) the gray and white versions are long gone. Hollywood makes "black" movies with black stars and hip hop sound tracks that appeal to black audiences and I don't think black people buy as many figures as white people.
Like Dave said, if you look at the licenses, there aren't many black characters in those shows.

Will there ever be a Lando Calrissian? Hawkman or a James Rhodes from Iron man? Maybe a WWII Tuskegee Pilot? I love SideShow but wonder why there is such a small offering on people of color.

Posts like this make me laugh. Not attacking the OP but people think erasing the color lines means pointing out the color lines and then tapping their foot for changes, when in reality erasing color lines is treating everyone as equals regardless of skin. Which means if the figure isn't sellable or profitable the color of their skin shouldn't factor into whether or not it gets made. Fan response and profit is really all they should look at.

The reality is that I look at figure offerings as just that figure offerings. What the license allows is what we see. Will we see a Lando? Yes, probably at least two (Skiff and Bespin), James Rhodes from Iron Man? Probably, I don't see SSC missing an opportunity to give us a War Machine Comiquette and probably once Rhodey suits up as War Machine in IM2 we will probably see a War Machine 1/6, Dios and other things striking while the Iron is hot. A WWII Tuskegee Pilot? Probably not. Is it color? No, the line is all but dead. A Gunn figure from Angel? No. Why because he is black? No, because the line itself was already dying when Angel was announced and barely made it through Cordy and Lorne. I would preferred a Doyle over Lorne but whatever.

I don't want affirmative action in my lines where they produce a Willrow Hood and jump him in front of the line just so they meet their "quota". I don't want them to flood us with orders for a Blade 1:1, War Machine Comiquette with Rhodey change of head, Storm AH! Comiquette and Black Panther dio because its February. For them to see that October is National Hispanic Month and find every item they can and push forward or go so obsecure that fans are scratching their heads over choices more than enjoying the diversity.

There are plenty of figures of color to be done but you have to look at the license offerings themselves, eventually they'll happen with some lines like GI Joe, Marvel, The Dead, Star Wars but look at some other lines that are still going on and see that some of them don't offer the possibilities.

I'd rather them happen on SSC's natural schedule then to see them thrust forward and then forgotten. Not to mention one could make the same argument widespread about women characters and how shorted they get throughout all lines but then its just stirring the pot at that point isn't it?

In reality this topic needs clarification. If we are discussing lack of color then are we saying all colors than white? If so then what are you classifying as white, simply skin color? European decent? The examples by the original poster were of black absences so are we simply saying lack of black characters? How technical are we getting?

I'm not going to get into a race debate, especially with so many people, because it will turn into a mass debate..........................but I agree with The Mike, figures of color need to happen as they happen. HT have just picked up The Shadow, there's Sam Jackson right there, he's black right?

There is an Halle Berry figure from Bond and a now an Obama figure. Oh wait, they're only half Black, does that count though? I'd buy a Denzel Washington figure from TRAINING DAY. Also, maybe they have had more Black figures in the works but the performers wouldn't give likeness rights.

Its really the issue of what characters are in the media... and really when we watch shows what we see mainly the majority culture. Although even now that is less about numbers, but more about influence.

So I don't think that its an intentional action by manufacturers, but more a function of what they can make. And if the main characters of a series are not of color then you are unlikely to see much diversity in the line.

I agree with the poster who said it was more a reflection on Hollywood than Sideshow; however, there's no excuse for the fact that they haven't done a Lando yet, except for the fact that he would sell poorly, as the Hasbro Lando's have always done - so perhaps its more a reflection on collectors too.

But then, there's no excuse for the fact that the greatest and most inspirational sportsman of all time - Muhammad Ali - doesn't have a figure or series of high-end figures. Maybe a group of us ought to start a company like Enterbay that does high-end limited edition figures of black icons, just like Enterbay does Asian icons, since so few companies seem to want to risk money on 'figures of color'.

What a bull^^^^ comment.

First off calling Muhammad Ali the greatest and most inspirational sportsman of all time is pure opinion. That differs widely depending on who you are speaking with.

Second, I'm not sure if you're referring to just high end 1/6 figures but Muhammad Ali had a Mego figure back in the 1970s and has been done multiple times by companies like NECA, McFarlane, Upper Deck, Starting Lineup, Vinyl Legends not to mention that he is almost always followed by a Cassius Clay figure.

Third, name one line that Hot Toys, EnterBay, Sideshow, MediCom or any other high end 1/6 company that does film licenses that has a sports line. Fans have been requesting it from SSC at least for a few years now and I'm sure others have of the other companies but it hasn't happened. Why? Studies show that Sports Collectors are fickle, and will buy things mostly on impulse or due to sentimental reasons over following a line like we do. Master Replicas almost did a line of replicas of famous sports stadiums until focus groups showed that collectors wouldn't pay the prices.

If there ever is a sport line done in modern times I guarantee you that Muhammad Ali and Michael Jordan and many others will be the first line ups you go and those are "figures of color".

You can find any issue if you look hard enough.

This topic reminded me how I thought Sideshow missed an easy opportunity with the Endor Troopers at adding a little diversity to the line. Kenner did it way back with the Bespin Security Guards and Hasbro did it with their recent Endor troops. While having an Endor trooper of a Sideshow employee is fun for some, I think the set would have been much more appealing had they gone the Hasbro/Kenner route. I await the "There is no making Endor troopers appealing" comment. :)

endortrooprx6.jpg

What a bull^^^^ comment.

First off calling Muhammad Ali the greatest and most inspirational sportsman of all time is pure opinion. That differs widely depending on who you are speaking with.

Second, I'm not sure if you're referring to just high end 1/6 figures but Muhammad Ali had a Mego figure back in the 1970s and has been done multiple times by companies like NECA, McFarlane, Upper Deck, Starting Lineup, Vinyl Legends not to mention that he is almost always followed by a Cassius Clay figure.

Third, name one line that Hot Toys, EnterBay, Sideshow, MediCom or any other high end 1/6 company that does film licenses that has a sports line. Fans have been requesting it from SSC at least for a few years now and I'm sure others have of the other companies but it hasn't happened. Why? Studies show that Sports Collectors are fickle, and will buy things mostly on impulse or due to sentimental reasons over following a line like we do. Master Replicas almost did a line of replicas of famous sports stadiums until focus groups showed that collectors wouldn't pay the prices.

If there ever is a sport line done in modern times I guarantee you that Muhammad Ali and Michael Jordan and many others will be the first line ups you go and those are "figures of color".

You can find any issue if you look hard enough.

Calm down - I don't think my comment really warranted such an emotional response.

As regards what I said about Ali, I would have thought it was obvious that that was my opinion, by virtue of the fact that I stated it!

Second, I know about the Mego Ali etc but I'm talking about modern high-end 12" figures.

Third, good points about sports figures, although I think Ali goes beyond sports, just like John Lennon goes beyond pop music - he's an icon and a historical figure.

Fourth, it's true you can find any issue if you look hard enough, although you don't have to look very hard to see that figures of color represent a risk for manufacturers, just as fashion magazines tend not to put black models on their covers because they always sell less copies when they do. But I'm not calling any manufacturer out as racist (except maybe Enterbay for their Gang 2 figure!) I'm just mentioning it as a fact.

And it would still be cool to see a collectibles company producing black icons like enterbay does Asian icons.

O.K. I guess I blundered heavy with how I presented the topic. Sorry. I have a five page report due and I wanted to make the 1:6 world my topic. My teacher wanted me to narrow it down and single out an area of interest. But it has to be something open for debate. I don't have many figures maybe twenty five total. Unfortunately, they are all the same shade. So it hit me when a black friend asked me, "Where's the love?" I responded it wasn't my fault, there's really no representation. It hit me then that this should be my book report topic.
With two weeks to get this done, I figured I would try discussing this topic with the collecting community. I'm not good with words so this will be a big project for me, but i am very interested in the topic as I plan to be a long time collector like other members of my family.

I don't think the AA Art. S. Buck sold well for two big reasons. No painted face, no back up head sculpts to use, and it's hard to use a dark stock body with a caucasian head sculpt, especially when the clothes are too short in the arms.

It's been suggested that I branch out to other forums as well but I'm still learning how to properly word what I'm really trying to ask. So, please be kind everyone.

I plan on opening with a brief history. I think G.I*. Issued their first AA figure in 1965, is this correct?:confused: Book reports are hard when there isn't a library close by and we're told we can only use two references from the web but they have to be legit. Now here's one which I've found but I don't think it's real. Can anyone clarify?

CHICAGO, IL. 8/22/2001
© Invisible America
This week the Hasbro Corporation announced the first ever Hispanic G.I. Joe figure- 'G.I. José.'

The G.I.'s full name is José N. Pedazos, his alias: 'Cannon Fodder.'

A Hasbro executive explained "Even though he's a toy, we tried to make him as realistically Hispanic as possible. First of all, we will not be releasing a twelve inch figure as we do with our anglo G.I. Joes. G.I. José will only be available in the short and stout three and a half inch figure. Furthermore, G.I. José will not fight with the other G.I. Joe figurines- he will fight with the first division of the Infantry, which will be made up entirely of Hispanic and African American figurines. "

G.I. José will also be known as 'The one who goes in first.'

G.I. José N. Pedazos, who is of Columbian descent, will face his first mission in his homeland. He comes equipped with a counter narcotics helicopter for spraying crops in the Colombian highlands (*). On the back of the box his mission is described as "Take out the coca fields, the drug lords, their henchmen, the rebel armies, the uppity peasantry, and anyone else who is suspiciously not involved with one of these groups.

Taken from the interentHasbro also announced they would soon introduce a talking version of G.I. José.

A Latino veteran speculated "However, when it comes to the real situation of Latinos in the Army (*), the talking G.I. José will adhere to a strict 'Don't ask, don't tell,' policy."

FOR MORE QUALITY REPORTING ON HISPANIC G.I. JOE, VISIT POCHO.COM

©IA NEWS 2001

I have a lot of research to do I guess. If anyone can steer me in the right direction or have helpful facts to share, please do. I will need references though so if you could include the source that would be helpful.

I've gathered some current toy companies I need to research the history and offerings from:

G.I. Joe 12"
Hasbro
Toy Biz
Playmates
Medicom
Dragon
SideShow
Soldier Story
Dog Soldiers
Ignite
Hot Toys
DiD
Mcfarline

What other companies are/were there?

Here is a quick outline I'm working on for each page

Maybe my title should be "Ethnic characters in the 1:6th world or the lack of" But it still seems weak and too long.

Great I think I'm getting somewhere. I also need to include a little compare and contrast, I was going to save that for the 12" line compared to the 3 3/4 offerings.

Some great ideas so far have been:

1) Character likeness rights not given
2) lack of ethnic characters in Hollywood / movie license
3) cost effective?
4) interest

I need at least two or three more.

Last edited:
Back