Figures of color?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to second the Muhammad Ali "must order" sentiment above. I had the Mego figure years ago... Actually, I still do but his hand has snapped off, unfortunately. I'd love to upgrade that.

Also, Blacula looks awesome.

First, yes Vasquez was made, but she was played by an Irish actress. Does that count as PR, Cuban or Irish then? :lol
- The first person of color that could be cosidered omitted from a Sideshow line was "Kinch" from Hogan's Heroes. They also omitted LeBeau, Newkirk and Carter though so does that make it ok?
- No Dodge from Planet of the Apes.
- King from Platoon was made, but in such short numbers he almost doesn't count.
- No Gunn from Angel, although they killed that line quicker than they started it
- No Kananga, but they did Tee Hee
I've always thought that just selling the loose bodies would help to "colorize" a collection. Hot Toys has the TrueType bodies, albeit expensive for a nude, but they have the AA, Asian and caucasion versions, already more diversity than some full figures.
Basicly, we're at the hands of the mfrs and have to take what we get and customize the rest. Which is what a great many of us do anyway.

First, yes Vasquez was made, but she was played by an Irish actress. Does that count as PR, Cuban or Irish then? :lol
- The first person of color that could be cosidered omitted from a Sideshow line was "Kinch" from Hogan's Heroes. They also omitted LeBeau, Newkirk and Carter though so does that make it ok?
- No Dodge from Planet of the Apes.
- King from Platoon was made, but in such short numbers he almost doesn't count.
- No Gunn from Angel, although they killed that line quicker than they started it
- No Kananga, but they did Tee Hee
I've always thought that just selling the loose bodies would help to "colorize" a collection. Hot Toys has the TrueType bodies, albeit expensive for a nude, but they have the AA, Asian and caucasion versions, already more diversity than some full figures.
Basicly, we're at the hands of the mfrs and have to take what we get and customize the rest. Which is what a great many of us do anyway.

Actually Vasquez was played by a Jewish American actress not Irish. I'd still consider that a woman of color.

This has to be the most racially condescending thread I've ever seen! Racial pandering is a kind of reverse racism. There are really great characters from a broad swath of ethnic backgrounds. SS is selling what we are buying as collectors and most of their characters are from Sci-Fi/Horror genre that happens to have a lot of white characters. This is a non issue.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Even Hasbro didn't make any "African American" Joes in their recent 45th 12" figures. They just don't sell.

Actually Vasquez was played by a Jewish American actress not Irish. I'd still consider that a woman of color.
I don't think being white is the type of color that the thread was started about.

Even Hasbro didn't make any "African American" Joes in their recent 45th 12" figures. They just don't sell.

But Hasbro did make sure that the Wal-Mart AT reissues had one.

But Hasbro is more of a "toy" company. Are we talking more diversified color in a toy line that you would find in TRU for example or a line that you would buy from Sideshow, Hot Toys, Enterbay, etc...?

This has to be the most racially condescending thread I've ever seen! Racial pandering is a kind of reverse racism. There are really great characters from a broad swath of ethnic backgrounds. SS is selling what we are buying as collectors and most of their characters are from Sci-Fi/Horror genre that happens to have a lot of white characters. This is a non issue.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Pandering :rolleyes:

I wish folks would stop responding to this thread (I know my adding this post will do that also), but I consider this thread as perpetuating the pandering and I've tried not to post to it and every time it's back at the top again.

Hmmm, looks like I need to have a talk with someone. :monkey4

I agree time to let this thread sink to the bottom of the Lake. :gun

These kinds of threads are always irritating. The fact that this particular question is being asked shows a total lack of attention to detail.

Anyone who has been paying attention to figures and the figure market knows:

-AA figures are usually the worst sellers -this includes Barbie
-Sideshow has been trying to sell their AA Body discounted to $12 with few takers
-Few desirable characters upon which figures are based are ever licensed
-Hero Builders has made a $9.99 AA figure for several years
-Hero Builders was also the first to make a B. Obama figure

The another issue is the whole black/white thing. Yes, a few people have mentioned Asians, but the fact that Orientals are generally marginalized in most of the discussions of such issues belies an genuousness in the whole subject.

Lastly, this whole 'Hispanic' racial issue. Excuse me, but what about the Portuguese? Why is everything Hispanic?! What race is Hispanic? Does this mean that every European Latin is another race? Are the French or Albanians each a race?!

We need to drop this racial division nonsense from our society. It is garbage that needs no discussion. We should reject it wherever we find it. This kind of racial terrorism has no place in America nor in our hobby.

Harriet Tubman? Really? You think a little old black lady would be a good seller for an action figure? The military/historical lines were struggling as it is.

You forgot Halle Berry for the Bond line. Besides Yahphet Koto from LaLD what other Bond character would have made sense (and they already had a villain from the film)? Odd Job, the Diamond guy are Asian.

Buffy - no viable character - blame the license, not SSC.

Hmmm.... really ?

225px-Kendra.jpg

Trick01.jpg

Robin_Wood.gif

Kendra,Mr Trick and Principal Wood would count in my book.

Back