"Figure it out" clarifications

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Aykroyd

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey the SSC,
I was hoping you could clarify some of the rules with respect to copyrights.
Here are a few specific questions (though Im sure Ill have more):

#1 Can we show monitors or keyboards? What about my Ikea desk or cabinet?
-- If yes, do I need to cover the Sony/LG/Logitech/etc. logos?
-- If no, what exactly can we film since most everything is made by somebody?

#2 WRT music? Can we use music that is no longer copyrighted? Like Bach or other classical composers?

Thats it for now! Thanks in advance... this is going to be REALLY fun.

Usually you need permission to the PEFORMANCE of a Bach, Beethoven, etc. peice. So unless you can play it yourself, you will need to get the artists' permission anyway. I would assume the same applies to this.

I would go with the assumption that Buttmunch is correct about the music. There's tons of good stuff out there that 'sounds like' or is 'inspired by' famous works of music that is available either free or for a very small fee in the creative commons.

For a start you can visit: https://creativecommons.org/ or https://search.creativecommons.org/

As for keyboards/t-shirts/hats and anything that has a logo on it that's not Sideshow's, I'd cover it up with electrical tape/blur it out in post just to be safe. Things that don't have logos (ie: bookcases, desks, etc) are totally cool to show :duff

What about pictures of Sideshow employees? And I would assume pictures from events like SDCC showing anyone other than Sideshow employees would be out?

What about pictures of Sideshow employees? And I would assume pictures from events like SDCC showing anyone other than Sideshow employees would be out?

Photos that are posted on our site are fair game. Personal photos I would avoid, unless they are only of you, or someone else you know who gave you permission.

Photos that are posted on our site are fair game. Personal photos I would avoid, unless they are only of you, or someone else you know who gave you permission.

OK... so event photos from SSDC and such (that were posted in Sideshow galleries) are fair game? Cool! Thanks Dusty!!

What about music from the Podcasts? I know today's had Black Sabbath's Iron Man in it.

My only advice is: Be on the safe side, and don't use it ANY music/video clips that are not in the public domain. Our lawyer will be reviewing submissions to determine whether they will be able to be used as corporate advertisements without possible penalty. There are many variables, but we suggest you play it all-the-way-safe and get creative in ways that are completely unique to you, using only images/sounds/etc created only by Sideshow and yourself.

Now, that being said, a clip of the actual PODCAST that also includes the stuff that WE produced (voices, etc) would be okay, but not the song all by itself. :duff

Dusty, is there any way we can get access to some hi-res photos of Sideshow's figures...Is there a link we can go to? I don't have many of the figures I'd like to use in the animation and I was just wondering...

Dusty, is there any way we can get access to some hi-res photos of Sideshow's figures...Is there a link we can go to? I don't have many of the figures I'd like to use in the animation and I was just wondering...

Right now, there's no public way to access the hi-res pics. There may be something in the works on the re-designed site that will allow for this option, but it probably will be at least a couple of weeks before that can be explored. Stay tuned :duff

Dusty, quick question. We are shooting our commercial this weekend and I wanted to ask about other items being in the same room. One shot will be in my living room showing all my SS stuff but my tv and an art print or two may be in the shot as well. Is that OK?

Dusty, quick question. We are shooting our commercial this weekend and I wanted to ask about other items being in the same room. One shot will be in my living room showing all my SS stuff but my tv and an art print or two may be in the shot as well. Is that OK?

As long as the art prints are not from a high profile license or intellectual property (such as Star Wars/Marvel/LOTR/Terminator/DC/etc/etc), normal household stuff should be totally fine :duff

You shooting it during the party? Have a blast!!

As long as the art prints are not from a high profile license or intellectual property (such as Star Wars/Marvel/LOTR/Terminator/DC/etc/etc), normal household stuff should be totally fine :duff

East Coast Freaks will dominate this contest. :lecture

Hey Dusty!

Hope you are well. I had a few quick questions regarding the ad contest:

1. although we cannot use music from a movie, can we hum or sing the score, or recreate it using our own instruments?

2. can we take specific sound effects (explosion sounds, robotic movements, lightsaber sounds etc...) from a movie? (i'm guessing not, but wanted to ask)

3. can we use famous lines from movies, if we voice them ourselves?

Thank you!!

Hey Dusty!

1. although we cannot use music from a movie, can we hum or sing the score, or recreate it using our own instruments?

2. can we take specific sound effects (explosion sounds, robotic movements, lightsaber sounds etc...) from a movie? (i'm guessing not, but wanted to ask)

Thank you!!

I would assume all except #1 are a-okay, as long as your sound effects don't include dialog. And even #1 as long as you change the pitch/tone enough so it's not the same exact notes.

Remember, though, I am not a lawyer! It's hard to officially issue exact interpretations of the contest rules, due to the MANY variations in copyright law. Mostly, you're on your own to 'figure it out' given what we have presented in the rules. That said, it's always safest to avoid copyrighted material completely, unless you really have no other ideas running around in your head and must resort to something that's already been created by others - and then be EXTRA careful of how you present it. All will be taken into account during the judging :duff

Hey Dusty!

Thank you!!

Sound effects--no, like a lightsaber sound effect is copyrighted (but you could make one youself the same way, it's just the sound effect recording that's copyrighted). Famous lines I think would be fine. Since it's really hard for them to copyright stuff like that, like May The Force Be With You, or something.

That's the problem, they are both SW prints :eek:

Back