Female Statues: A plea to Sideshow Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to be a guy from Jersey.... :wink1: Its cool. I'll delete the thread. I knew what I was getting into when I posted. It's not about being prude or anti sexy women, it was simply an observation about women in comics in general. I'm in no way a PC femenazi apologist, I just find my views on women changing as I get older and have kids and a wife. It's not a slight on anyone here who loves some well sculpted booty, it was simply an observation & I thought that it would foster some interesting discussion. Much love to everyone who responded. You all are super passionate about your hobby & I think that's awesome.

I'm a girl from Jersey. Well, not a girl - A Dudette.

I apologize. I used "guy" as a general term. My bad dudette. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's realistic to the actual shape and costume of the character (usually comic/animated) then I think it's of course fine. If it's just accentuating certain parts and over sexualising pieces unnecessarily than I think it's stupid. Case in point? The Buffy The vampire Slayer PF and the Buffy on Throne maquette - Sarah Michelle Gellars chest is not as big as that lol, and she never wore a dress that showed that much cleavage. But I think for the most part SS is genuinely pretty spot on.

Last edited:
If it's realistic to the actual shape and costume of the character (usually comic/animated) then I think it's of course fine. If it's just accentuating certain parts and over sexualising pieces unnecessarily than I think it's stupid. Case in point? The Buffy The vampire Slayer PF and the Buffy on Throne maquette - Sarah Michelle Gellars chest is not as big as that lol, and she never wore a dress that showed that much cleavage. But I think for the most part SS is genuinely pretty spot on.

Let me clarify a little. So my original post was not that I didn't think that Sideshow wasn't doing a great job with the sculpts, as they are for the most part very accurate to their comic and media counterparts. My point was that I think the over sexualization of even some classic female characters seems to be changing in the comics for a more realistic/functional (and maybe more respectful) reasons & maybe some new sculpts should follow suit. Im all for authenticity, so I get the argument of "if its always been like that, don't mess with it". I was simply stating that there are also people who enjoy these female characters for who they are and what they represent & not simply for their *ahem* assets. As this thread has shown, Im in a crazy minority around here especially & thats ok. I was just hoping to share a different and hopefully non judgmental perspective on the subject.

As a rule I prefer whatever the "iconic" costume is--and for women that's going to include some T&A in most cases, because the iconic costumes were designed in an era when artists gave no thought to female superhero costumes being "functional", but rather being sexy. (case in point: Storm. She has a really sexy and striking costume, but is it functional? No. Still, it's a great costume in terms of pure aesthetics, and she'd look great wearing it on a fashion runway somewhere.)

I just have to say this though--Vampirella is a really silly character with a really silly costume. I don't understand how modern writers can even approach the character without being embarrassed. She's walking around in a thong and knee-high boots. Silly.

I'm still confused as to what characters you'd like to order but can't due to their sculpt/outfits?

I just have to say this though--Vampirella is a really silly character with a really silly costume. I don't understand how modern writers can even approach the character without being embarrassed. She's walking around in a thong and knee-high boots. Silly.

well technically, it IS functional for a Vampire temptress to be... tempting :lol ...and she is from another planet

If it's drawn that way in the comics it really should be kept the same when creating a statue imo.

Sometimes SSC do go overboard like the Willow Buffy Maqutte that was more sexualised than the character ever was. I passed on it because it was a poor representation of such a conservative character. I noticed they didn't sexualise the male characters of Angel and Spike. They were fully dressed.

It's a good topic for discussion. Personally I'm a huge fan of the new Batgirl redesign and I like that all superhero costumes are getting more real world/practical in form and function.

But Power Girl still needs the window in her shirt. (Not the new "Annie" Power Girl, the original adult Kara Zor-L.)

AZMike, I think you're well within your rights to make these observations. This is a delicate topic and one that has no clear outcome. As a father of three girls (aged 6, 4, 4) I'm always very conscious of what my girls are exposed to. Body image issues are no joke and children can be exposed to material at a young age that can have terrible and very long lasting effects on them when they're older.

I have many of Sideshow's PF statues on display in our living room and my girls love them. But my wife and I have taken great care on numerous occasions to explain that the voluptuous women and hugely muscular men on display are exaggerated and that normal people don't look like that. But in my humble opinion, the buck stops with me as their father. I'm responsible for their welfare, so it's my job to do what I think is the right thing.

My wife is incredibly giving when it comes to supporting me and my hobbies and in return I respect her enough to know when too much is too much. She has never once asked me not to display a statue. However, out of respect to my family I chose not to order the new Vampirella PF statue as I think it's just too much. Other statues, such as the Emma Frost comiquette has just a bit too much sex going on so I choose to display her in my office where the kids rarely go.

But, what I don't agree with is toning down future statues to accomodate a minority. Vampy was too much so I chose not to get her. Simple. But for those that will, good luck to you.

*steps off soapbox*

I don't think that those shapes affect girls in that sense. One, that's given the assumption that a girl is more susceptible to that. Also, the issue is the lack of explanation of sexual natures.

I'm not a father, but I can say I've crossed that line with helping raise 7 boys and 8 girls. I know that a child often just needs explanation and I personally find it absurd that some find sex more taboo and unacceptable than violence. I mean I use to sell video games and it crazy that parents are are like, 'sure, mutilation and torture is fine; but are there naked woman?'

I, personally am not as convicted with that, but like I said; I'm not a parent so my opinion can only mean so much.

I personally enjoy the characters as they are because they are attractive and fantasy. I just feel we make the subject sensitive as we make it a female issue. I mean I never looked at Stallone's body in Rambo and say, damn I want a body like that! And get depressed over it. Sure he was muscular, and I assimilated that with being a badass. My father explained to me and showed me videos of Stallone in those days, so instead of making it a speech of that's not real; it became one of motivation. One to achieve your maximum. Yet girls have these heroes too! It's taking a while, but women and girls are getting these heroes where it isn't about weight or beauty, but character.

I know it seemed like an off topic post, but that is why I could care less if someone is comfortable or not with it. Often an explanation should suffice.

My two cents.
Comics are about fantasy and escapism. We want our heroes larger than life. My girl is a comic fan and she likes her male heroes (in her words) "Big and Bulging". She also think that the females look hot. (One of the many reasons why I love her.) As others have mentioned they have been revamping our favorite's costumes, and worst their whole personalities. Example Batgirl, she went from a dark character with a edge, to now looking and acting like a vapid high school teen.

4237170-$_57-1.jpg

The same with Spiderwoman. who is arguably one of Marvel's most sensual looking characters, sexy, strong, and poured into her costume.

Untitled.jpg

She'll soon also look like a teenage girl.

Spiderwomanprofile.jpg

And who is willing to pay $400 for that?

It's a good topic for discussion. Personally I'm a huge fan of the new Batgirl redesign and I like that all superhero costumes are getting more real world/practical in form and function.

But Power Girl still needs the window in her shirt. (Not the new "Annie" Power Girl, the original adult Kara Zor-L.)

Redesigns are worth testing out for sure if the character calls for it. I'm also a fan of the new Batgirl design and think the new B&W Batgirl statue will be cool and suits where the character is quite well!

bmbw_batgirl_stewart_hitch_54b9803b68ccf0-011168461.jpg

As far as PFs go right now though, I can't think of any that really go overboard in terms of sexualizing the character if said character doesn't already warrant it in the books. That's why I'm curious as to what characters AZMike is looking to pick up but has to shy away from.

Don't mind the new outfit if Batgirl looked and acted like a grown up.

batgirl_justice_magazine_by_artgerm-d7qrots.jpg

The fact is the comic has been god awful since the change. :yuck

bg.jpg

I'm still confused as to what characters you'd like to order but can't due to their sculpt/outfits?
It was more of general observation than a frustration that I can't personally order one I want. Im trying to finish my Justice League PF's and don't have the room for extra DC characters, but Im not sure Power Girl, Catwoman, or Ivy would go over well. I picked up the comic version of Black Widow and her cleavage almost took my eye out. Let me be clear, I LIKE BEAUTIFUL WOMEN. My point is that in an attempt to be respectful to my wife and limit the amount of sexual exposure to my kids those and and others can be a little much. Its splitting hairs and I understand if you're shaking your head saying, "OMG relax. Its just some boobs. Get over it or go away.", but I don't think thats very fair either. Im one guy expressing his opinion for what i think are fair reasons. In no way am attempting to censor your hobby, I'm just trying to have a discussion from a different perspective.

AZMike, I think you're well within your rights to make these observations. This is a delicate topic and one that has no clear outcome. As a father of three girls (aged 6, 4, 4) I'm always very conscious of what my girls are exposed to. Body image issues are no joke and children can be exposed to material at a young age that can have terrible and very long lasting effects on them when they're older.

I have many of Sideshow's PF statues on display in our living room and my girls love them. But my wife and I have taken great care on numerous occasions to explain that the voluptuous women and hugely muscular men on display are exaggerated and that normal people don't look like that. But in my humble opinion, the buck stops with me as their father. I'm responsible for their welfare, so it's my job to do what I think is the right thing.

My wife is incredibly giving when it comes to supporting me and my hobbies and in return I respect her enough to know when too much is too much. She has never once asked me not to display a statue. However, out of respect to my family I chose not to order the new Vampirella PF statue as I think it's just too much. Other statues, such as the Emma Frost comiquette has just a bit too much sex going on so I choose to display her in my office where the kids rarely go.

But, what I don't agree with is toning down future statues to accomodate a minority. Vampy was too much so I chose not to get her. Simple. But for those that will, good luck to you.

*steps off soapbox*

Thank you for a very reasonable and thoughtful reply. In many ways I feel the absolute same & hope to teach my boys to respect women like your girls with the utmost respect.

As an advocate for not limiting freedoms to not offend (within reason), this.... "But, what I don't agree with is toning down future statues to accomodate a minority." is spot on.

Thanks for participating.

I would say that Catwoman is the least overly sexual PF out of Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and Power Girl, at least if you're considering breast size. In comparison to Black Widow, Catwoman is wearing a tight body suit like Black Widow but her boobs aren't busting out like BW's. Poison Ivy just oozes sexuality and Power Girl's boobs are double the size of BW.

It would be cool if you had a place where you could display what you wanted (like the sexy DC ladies) without the kids seeing them, but then I suppose you'd still have to deal with your wife not being happy that you have them. My wife doesn't really care how sexy a female statue is, as long as it's done well. Her favorite in my collection is the Darth Talon PF because she loves the design and the sculpt is beautiful. With kids I guess it just depends on how they're raised to perceive what is naturally beautiful and what is unrealistic. If kids are taught that something like beauty or sexiness is bad, then they feel bad about themselves if they like it. When my niece and nephews come over (they're 3, 5, and 9) and see my collection they don't leave emotionally scarred because some of my statues are sexy. My niece thinks the women are pretty and the boys ignore the girls and want to see Superman and Iron Man. However, when it really comes down to it, family is more important than your collection anyway. If you can balance a happy family and still have a collection that makes you happy then you're doing just fine.

Back