Expanded Scores Finally Coming In November!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, since I have been on a geek binge all week long (rushing madly to finish a book because my release date has been moved a week up -- the new Bond book, of course -- and then gearing up to see Alicia Keys live tomorrow night), I might as well chime in with a detailed, track-by-track analysis of the Raiders disc from the upcoming set. Cause I have it, as it leaked last week.

Here is the thing: If you want to create an utterly complete & integral Raiders playlist, you'll need Discs 1 and 5 from this set, AND your old DCC release. Some of the cues on the new release are compromised.

So. Act 1:

1. In the Jungle [Main Title] -- new release is 2 seconds longer, same track
2. The Idol Temple -- see below (4'01")
3. Escape from the Temple -- the cues are now properly separated, very commendable (1'36")
4. Flight from Peru -- new release is 5 seconds longer

So far so good. Act 2:

5. Washington Men & Indy's Home -- first new track, introduces Ark theme, with 30" of background score that seems missing from the film (1'13")
6. A Thought for Marion & To Nepal -- clunkier title, 8 seconds longer, same track, basically
7. The Medallion -- same track
8. Flight to Cairo [To Cairo] -- same track

Still good with the new release. Act 3:

9. The Basket Game -- EDITED in the new release, misses 13" of the spooky intro, use the DCC track instead
10. Bad Dates -- second new track, the poisoning & the dead monkey cues combined into a coherent whole, ideally should be separate (1'34")
11. The Map Room: Dawn -- I think it's "& Dawn" here, which is stupid; same track, 3" longer, vocals a bit more prominent
12. Reunion etc. -- despite the title difference, appears to be the same track, 3" longer

See? Problems. More to come in Act 4:

13. The Well of the Souls -- same track, one second longer
14. Uncovering the Ark -- third new track; on Disc 5, don't have it yet
15. Indy Rides the Statue -- fourth new track; first bit is unused atmospheric, the rest is the mummy scene (2'09")
16. The Fist Fight & The Flying Wing [Airplane Fight] -- same track, 2" longer
17. Desert Chase -- EDITED in the new release, misses a whopping 36" of music that DCC had

At least Act 5 is perfectly fine, until the coda:

18. Marion's Theme [& The Crate] -- same track, 3" longer
19. The German Sub -- see below (1'17")
20. Ride to the Nazi Hideout -- another proper separation of cues with the unused "riding" portion of score (3'20")
21. Indy Follows the Ark [Ark Trek] -- same cue, 7" longer
22. The Miracle of the Ark -- same cue, 6" longer
23. The Warehouse -- from DCC (56"), and
24. End Credits -- from DCC (5'21") have now been COMBINED into:
23. Washington Ending & Raiders March (6'49"), which not only features an unfortunate, however filmlike, edit, but also has the "soft" bit of the March tacked onto the end, just like in Track 1 of the DCC release. I'd recommend sticking with the DCC version for those, for a total of 24 cues.

So there you go. The new release is more than welcome for the new music (although we still don't have the version of Indy Rides the Statue heard in the film, as that bit was apparently tracked), but two major action cues appear here in their original LP form, not the properly expanded DCC version, and while two of DCC's edits have been restored to separate tracks, the finale commits that mistake all on its own.

Differing track lengths probably have more to do with CD mastering (length of silence etc.) than anything else.

The act structure is entirely mine, pay no attention to it. I've watched too much Murnau recently.

And now I'll go back to work.

Oh, was Alicia good.

:)

BTW, what I wrote above? That's pretty much it; the reviewers on dedicated sites will surely support the conclusions.

I was awarded for my troubles with the Indy Soundtrack Collection showing up in my Gold Box today; so I'll be paying $2.90 less for it, or for us in Europe, two breadcrumbs and some navel lint less.

I love America. :)

Mine should be here tomorrow! And IJ did you pick up the ABSOLUTE edition? I got that one, it's nice with all of the color correction stuff DC did.

Mine should be here tomorrow! And IJ did you pick up the ABSOLUTE edition? I got that one, it's nice with all of the color correction stuff DC did.

Yeah, I have the ABSOLUTE WATCHMEN already. This is a new Hardcover edition of the standard TPB with a new cover... but it also does have the same new color-treatment as the Absolute Edition. And that's awesome, because now I'll have a "reading copy" of the color-corrected WATCHMEN that I can peruse without having to crack open my beloved Absolute Edition every time.

BTW, here's the cover:

51UXR7Dqy6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Awesome I got my cd set today! Nice little pack of some of the best music of all time! Finally Temple of Doom is mine AND they kept the original title of Raiders of the Lost Ark on the CD! No "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark"! Yay!

:rock :rock :rock :rock

Amazon shipped mine yesterday. Should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait! Been waiting so long for this set.

So I just listened to the Temple of Doom score and all I have to say is...wow! This set is awesome so far, I have always wanted to finish my CD collection since I already had Raiders and Last Crusade so this is a big deal to me to have them all together. And even though I am not the biggest fan of KOTCS I absolutely love the music, glad I didn't pick up that soundtrack just yet. If anyone is unsure about picking this up, don't wait. It's well worth the money.

The KOTCS soundtrack is quite nice. I brought it in during summer school and we would listen to it on occassion. The kids loved it.

I think thats John Williams worst. Its just so...boring. Theres one very small action cue on that entire soundtrack. No Jungle Chase, no Area 51 chase..nothin. (yes, there is that small 3 minute section of the Jungle Chase from Mutt vs Spalko, through the monkies...but thats not enough. )

I've heard from those who already have it that it really isn't a true interpritation of the "complete" scores. Is that safe to say?

Back