EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on the fence. I would agree that it is not hyper realistic and not the standard I had hoped for, but it is an OK figure.

Price point is high (I thought they were supposed to be cheaper than QMX), especially for the first in the line. I wonder what shipping cost will be? The sculpt is definitely off, but not enough to stop me buying.

I also agree that the grey part of the uniform is WAY too thick, and the rest of the fabric seems pretty heavy with the bent arm poses too. Odd choice of uniform/movie, less mainstream and popular with more fans than the TNG series.

I would have liked TWOK or more TOS, especially as a first figure from a newly set up company.

Glad to see 1/6 Trek moving again, but overall it is a meh from me, so I will have to see how production turns out.

Despite not being totally wowed I still will order the figure once it’s available. I want to support Nanjin/EXO-6 and Star Trek figures.

Data is an odd choice to start the line off...BUT it had to be someone other than a TOS figure ......trying to get super excited but if you ask me a TWOK Kirk or Spock or even a TMP Kirk or Spock would have floored me. Possibly Archer even.....
BUT maybe Nanjin will follow these figures closely right after Data announcement??

I would say Data is a decent starting point. Popular character so it makes sense out of the popular characters who have been made yet. I do think it’s odd to have made him from First Contact versus doing him from TNG to go along with the already released Picard.

I'm sure they just wanted to start with something more unique to set themselves apart from QMX, and so people wouldn't immediately associate it with the Picard staining debacle.

And last I checked First Contact was a pretty popular movie...

First Contact is alright. A tad overrated in my opinion, but I don?t mind it too much. For me TNG itself is better than any of the TNG movies.

I more just mean in terms of characters I would rather have had a Data that more matched the existing Picard. That or maybe they should have done a dual release of Data and Picard.

First Contact is alright. A tad overrated in my opinion, but I don?t mind it too much. For me TNG itself is better than any of the TNG movies.

I more just mean in terms of characters I would rather have had a Data that more matched the existing Picard. That or maybe they should have done a dual release of Data and Picard.

Agreed on all accounts.

For that price point, an extra TNG uniform would have been nice, or just TNG on its own. FC Data is going to look odd with my other Trek figures. I like collecting figures from the same series rather than random. If more FC characters are announced before Data release, I will reconsider.

Can`t and wouldn`t say nothing about that figure. As I am only in TOS I`ll continue waiting for such a release and will be judging then.
Carry on, Nanjin!

I would think Uhura is one of the upcoming figures and probably a Kirk and/or Spock. Just my guesses though so I could be 100% wrong.

I feel like we might get that Spock from TMP that Nanjin showed a while back. Uhura also seems likely as that’s one that he seems to have been working on for a while.

Agreed on all accounts.

For that price point, an extra TNG uniform would have been nice, or just TNG on its own. FC Data is going to look odd with my other Trek figures. I like collecting figures from the same series rather than random. If more FC characters are announced before Data release, I will reconsider.

I think that is the hard balance EXO is going to have to figure out. I would love to have TOS, movies, TNG, 2009 and some select ones from DS9 but that is a ton of money (and space) so there is no way I could afford all of them in a year or two but if you space it out to long there is the potential that some could loose interest and bail. I could see someone buying FC Data and end up being disappointed if a year later there are still no other FC figures announced and we are 8-10 figures into the line. It is going to be one difficult juggling act trying to keep as many people happy as possible.

I think that is the hard balance EXO is going to have to figure out. I would love to have TOS, movies, TNG, 2009 and some select ones from DS9 but that is a ton of money (and space) so there is no way I could afford all of them in a year or two but if you space it out to long there is the potential that some could loose interest and bail. I could see someone buying FC Data and end up being disappointed if a year later there are still no other FC figures announced and we are 8-10 figures into the line. It is going to be one difficult juggling act trying to keep as many people happy as possible.
That’s a good point. I wonder how scattered the releases will be amongst the various shows and films. While variety is nice it would be nice to complete a set versus just a bunch of random releases.

That’s why to me a TNG Data would have been a bit better. It’s not a re-release, but it continues a line that’s already been started. Instead it’s starting new.

That’s a good point. I wonder how scattered the releases will be amongst the various shows and films. While variety is nice it would be nice to complete a set versus just a bunch of random releases.

That’s why to me a TNG Data would have been a bit better. It’s not a re-release, but it continues a line that’s already been started. Instead it’s starting new.

Based on past posts by Nanjin we do know he was working on a FC Picard at one point. So the plan may be to release Data first and Picard a little later. I do agree that I would have preferred a Data to go with the Picard we already have but at some point I was hopping for a movie Data as well so I am still happy.

Based on some of the posts, Nanjin is going through his own "Kobayashi Maru" scenario...

We need to keep in mind that this is just the "first" figure release and that he has several more scheduled for just the first year.

There are quite a number of shows/films and characters to work with. There's no way that any "one" figure would have satisfied the majority.

I thought he would have started with a Picard or Kirk but was wrong and surprised (but in a good way) that it was "First Contact" Data.

Now I'm hoping for a "Mirror, Mirror" Spock to be the next release, just to drive this thread into a frenzy! :rotfl

Perhaps, but I'm guessing there's also a lot of people like me who have limited display space, and would rather use that to display our favorite Trek characters from across the franchise instead of taking it all up with figures we aren't nearly as excited about.

And plus I don't think Nanjin should really feel obligated to continue a line from another company, especially when he didn't agree with many of their decisions. In fact I would hope their TNG line would start off with a new and improved TNG Picard, since the QMX one was pretty underwhelming in my book.

Perhaps, but I'm guessing there's also a lot of people like me who have limited display space, and would rather use that to display our favorite Trek characters from across the franchise instead of taking it all up with figures we aren't nearly as excited about.
I get what you’re saying to an extent, but it’s also a bit counterintuitive to what was previously being done. I get it that was under QMX, but ultimately the Trek line is Nanjin’s baby essentially. I just feel like for a lot of us it would have been nice to pick up where we left off. Like I say I’ll still support whatever he does, and I’m sure there’s a plan in place.

He posted a Facebook video with the following explanation:

Nanjin Tam

Captain's log, Stardate: -302039.4

We supposed to have a video done professionally. But too many unforeseeable issues came up. So we did a 10 Forward Bar Sink unprofessional version.

Do note this: Production WILL always BETTER than prototype. This time by miles. The entire figure has been updated since this video was done, including his shoes, hands, likeness, etc. Also note that the uniform has some "non-accurate" parts which already addressed.

Data is NOT a pre-production figure. He IS in production already!

https://www.facebook.com/nanjin.tam.54/videos/2872165526363168/

Agreed on all accounts.

I still feel like a point has to be made that a painted headsculpt is BY FAR the most expensive piece of any figure out there. Any figure without a headsculpt has an extreme leg up in terms of production value since so much else of figure production is easier and cheaper.

Casually saying 'why didn't they include another uniform for this price' is kind of crappy IMO. This is a movie Data figure and not a TNG Data figure. You don't see people asking for multiple entire outfits for Star Wars, Marvel, or DC figures. Additional headsculpts are honestly a luxury since they would be so hard to reproduce otherwise.

Yeah, I agree. For me personally, I think the FC uniform is the worst, but I really like Data and the sculpt is OK, which is why I am on the fence.

I still feel like a point has to be made that a painted headsculpt is BY FAR the most expensive piece of any figure out there. Any figure without a headsculpt has an extreme leg up in terms of production value since so much else of figure production is easier and cheaper.

Casually saying 'why didn't they include another uniform for this price' is kind of crappy IMO. This is a movie Data figure and not a TNG Data figure. You don't see people asking for multiple entire outfits for Star Wars, Marvel, or DC figures. Additional headsculpts are honestly a luxury since they would be so hard to reproduce otherwise.

Instead of calling a stranger's opinion crappy, reread what I said and try to take on board an opinion other than your own. I did not casually say anything either :lol. It is in plain text. This is why I stayed away from the QMX thread as it attracts posters like you who feel the need to snipe at complete strangers to make themselves heard. It is weak.

My point was it would be nice to have a choice with uniforms if FC has to be done, either included or as a deluxe because clearly there are a few people other than just myself who are not keen on FC, which is why I said both or just TNG. I would prefer those over two sculpts. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Nanjin would have good reasons behind his choice, but for me personally, I'm not keen, so will likely pass.

Moving back to your ridiculous snipe comment about asking for companies for multiple entire outfits, entitled is what your are getting at, again this requires you looking past your own narrative. I wasn't asking anyone for anything, but saying it was something I personally would like to see in this case, at this price, especially when it was hinted they'd be less than the QMX RRP, not higher. It's an opinion, not a dig at anyone, not a demand as you seem to think it is. And seeing as you never asked either, I personally would prefer one sculpt and have a choice of FC or TNG uniforms instead. It does not take somone like you to point out to other collectors that sculpts are expensive :lol. The two sculpt version could be a deluxe (I'd only display the normal Data, so the other is wasted in my collection), or the TNG uniform could be a deluxe.

Nanjin clearly has his reasons and those are my reasons for not buying. Perhaps he chose FC so he could show off the skin Data version as something he thought would have larger impact with the community as a first product, plus two HS. It is what it is. Look foward to seeing future figures.

Back