EX or FAIL

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All very solid points but I never declared EX or fail and I live in the states where there is no price difference. I can buy directly from SS without sales tax or outlandish import fees. It's hard for you and I to compare as we have completely different scenarios for price and availability. I have a reg Gambit as opposed to paying an extra 500 for a switch out hand. Again personal preference but you better believe I would own the ex if I was around when it went up for PO. I think that Ink and others in our position to buy these direct are saying is if you end up with the reg production piece as opposed to the EX then you had your chance to own the exclusive and simply didn't pull the trigger. In that sense ex or fail is justified. For others paying import fees and all the other expenditures that come along with shipment you are also justified in saving the money by buying local. I get it but for guys like myself there is no excuse other then I missed out. Just an opinion and the deadpool is great both ways. Lets not pretend that if you or anyone else could have the ex for the same price the ex wouldn't be in your possession though

EX are for people that decide to buy the statue before everyone else gets on board. Then everyone who missed has to resort to the reg instead. Brush up on the Deadpool thread. It has nothing to do with superiority for most of us. For out of print or sold out pieces, that's just personal preference. If the EX adds enough value to justify the higher price (Captain America and Skarr) then people generally will take the plunge. I think with two pieces like that people are generally buying the reg to soften the blow on cost to acquire. Using Hulk is an unfair comparison. There's green and there's grey. Preference comes down to color and exclusivity. You don't get a completely different feel for the hulk sculpt like good ole Cap. To say you'd rather have the reg Deadpool, as opposed to those that have the same exact sculpt with an extra swap out hand at the same cost, your lying to yourself.

No. If you read most of the statememts people make about having the exclusive, it's clearly "my **** is bigger than your ****" most of the time. It's attitudes many display when they have the almighty exclusive such as the "ex or fail" type of statememts all over this board.

I'm not saying ex sucks or that some ex pieces aren't really cool......they are, but elitist attitudes get old after a while. I owned several ex myself before I sold off most of my collection so it's not an issues with pieces. It's the " I'm a better collector than you attitude ".

Ex are for people who like to feel superior over a toy. I'd hardly call the green Hulk PF a "fail".

I feel you and I think that type of attitude is silly personally but if you look at the original statement I replied to it was a large generalization about people that prefer the ex over a regular. I have several PF's (wolverine, Rogue, Vison) that I prefer the regular portrait. It's not a superiority complex for me whatsoever and if you were to look in my thread I don't have multiple pics showing both heads or the bottom of the base to let collectors know they are the ex versions. You and spidey bring up great points but they are more in tune with specific collectors taste as opposed to the majority of us.

All very solid points but I never declared EX or fail and I live in the states where there is no price difference. I can buy directly from SS without sales tax or outlandish import fees. It's hard for you and I to compare as we have completely different scenarios for price and availability. I have a reg Gambit as opposed to paying an extra 500 for a switch out hand. Again personal preference but you better believe I would own the ex if I was around when it went up for PO. I think that Ink and others in our position to buy these direct are saying is if you end up with the reg production piece as opposed to the EX then you had your chance to own the exclusive and simply didn't pull the trigger. In that sense ex or fail is justified. For others paying import fees and all the other expenditures that come along with shipment you are also justified in saving the money by buying local. I get it but for guys like myself there is no excuse other then I missed out. Just an opinion and the deadpool is great both ways. Lets not pretend that if you or anyone else could have the ex for the same price the ex wouldn't be in your possession though

See Tavgg you are reasonable ... Not everyone is. I get what you are saying, but I believe there are many here who simply ENCOURAGE the Ex or Fail attitude to preserve the VALUE of their EX purchases for FUTURE sales, and there ARE those who do it to feel SUPERIOR.

Comments like "Where is his axe?" have shown up it he Skaar thread mere minutes AFTER an excited new collector has posted up pics of his ne Reg Skaar, and you can't tell me that kind of stuff isn't meant to rub it in little bit, or awhole lot depending on the Freak. IMHO that **** isn't needed here. Especially if we want to encourage new collectors and make this a welcoming environment for EVERYONE... Not just a Vets only locker room.

As for our statement about the Deadpool Ex or the Skaar Ex... Ofcourse all things being equal, including price, I would choose the Ex over a Reg. However, I have personally NEVER seen a statue that is one that is garbage without it

Last edited:
No. If you read most of the statememts people make about having the exclusive, it's clearly "my **** is bigger than your ****" most of the time. It's attitudes many display when they have the almighty exclusive such as the "ex or fail" type of statememts all over this board.

I'm not saying ex sucks or that some ex pieces aren't really cool......they are, but elitist attitudes get old after a while. I owned several ex myself before I sold off most of my collection so it's not an issues with pieces. It's the " I'm a better collector than you attitude ".

I honestly don't get WHY some Guys have to act like that. It isn't like your pecker GROWS just because you got the Ex.:dunno

See Tavgg you are reasonable ... Not everyone is. I get what you are saying, but I believe there are many here who simply ENCOURAGE the Ex or Fail attitude to preserve the VALUE of their EX purchases for FUTURE sales, and there ARE those who do it to feel SUPERIOR.

Comments like "Where is his axe?" have shown up it he Skaar thread mere minutes AFTER an excited new collector has posted up pics of his ne Reg Skaar, and you can't tell me that kind of stuff isn't meant to rub it in little bit, or awhole lot depending on the Freak. IMHO that **** isn't needed here. Especially if we want to encourage new collectors and make this a welcoming environment for EVERYONE... Not just a Vets only locker room.

As for our statement about the Deadpool Ex or the Skaar Ex... Ofcourse all things being equal, including price, I would choose the Ex over a Reg. However, I have personally NEVER seen a statue that is one that is garbage without it

Right on. We're on the same page. I especially agree with this

That's just senseless and downright dirty. Nothing cool about someone making an assessment such as that to an excited collector getting a great piece like Skarr. Ex or Reg its a great sculpt and if I hadn't landed such a solid deal on an ex I would have been fine with the reg as well.

Right on. We're on the same page. I especially agree with this

That's just senseless and downright dirty. Nothing cool about someone making an assessment such as that to an excited collector getting a great piece like Skarr. Ex or Reg its a great sculpt and if I hadn't landed such a solid deal on an ex I would have been fine with the reg as well.

Yeah we are On the same page m8. In the end I think that there are certain pieces that I would love to have Ex for, but then there are others where it doesnt matter at all. However, I will never degrade someone's piece because it lacks the Ex.:hi5:

Not really... Who shot JFK is a conspiracy .... Guys saying the Ex is better to protect what they put into it or the aftermarket value it has achieved, well, that isn't even a stretch of the imagination.

So you're saying the classic iron man comiquette EX isn't better than the regular? Which is the jist of the thread

I feel you and I think that type of attitude is silly personally but if you look at the original statement I replied to it was a large generalization about people that prefer the ex over a regular. I have several PF's (wolverine, Rogue, Vison) that I prefer the regular portrait. It's not a superiority complex for me whatsoever and if you were to look in my thread I don't have multiple pics showing both heads or the bottom of the base to let collectors know they are the ex versions. You and spidey bring up great points but they are more in tune with specific collectors taste as opposed to the majority of us.

It's not everyone, you're right, but there are enough to be noticeable and annoying. Just my opinion.

Not really... Who shot JFK is a conspiracy .... Guys saying the Ex is better to protect what they put into it or the aftermarket value it has achieved, well, that isn't even a stretch of the imagination.

Kinda is...

There would be no reason to 'protect' their investment if they (1) truly think the EX edition of their particular statue looks better like many, many collectors do & (2) never have any intent on selling the piece anyway. There may be some truth to what you're saying but I don't agree it's the majority, this board doesn't influence the majority of people in this hobby.

I'd also disagree that this is done purposefully to influence new collectors and continue a cycle b/c I find it hard to believe that people with this much money to burn on statues are that impressionable to anonymous people over the internet. I could easily be mistaken though.

If a piece looks relatively the same for a regular edition and only comes with a print for EX, what percentage of these newbs do you believe will drop an extra $100+ by this brainwashing?

So you're saying the classic iron man comiquette EX isn't better than the regular? Which is the jist of the thread

No what I AGREE with is THIS

I can't think of one EX that is essential and makes or breaks the piece.

I know you disagree with me... But even in the case of the classic Iron Man Com... I could live without the Tony Stark head... Would it be NICE to have... Yeah... But I wouldn't NEED to have it.

Kinda is...

There would be no reason to 'protect' their investment if they (1) truly think the EX edition of their particular statue looks better like many, many collectors do & (2) never have any intent on selling the piece anyway. There may be some truth to what you're saying but I don't agree it's the majority, this board doesn't influence the majority of people in this hobby.

I'd also disagree that this is done purposefully to influence new collectors and continue a cycle b/c I find it hard to believe that people with this much money to burn on statues are that impressionable to anonymous people over the internet. I could easily be mistaken though.

If a piece looks relatively the same for a regular edition and only comes with a print for EX, what percentage of these newbs do you believe will drop an extra $100+ by this brainwashing?

I think that there is room for both sides of the coing here, and we are probably both right to some degree.

Print and unmasked portrait are exclusives I would have no problem passing on .... :monkey1

I think it can also boil down to "why do you collect?". If it's solely for rarity and resale vaule then yes, go ex only. If it's because you love the pieces and value is just an added bonus then buy the ex you really like and the regulars if you don't like or care about a particular ex.

Most people love the Thor PF ex. I actually prefer the regular head on that one so I wouldnt pay more for the ex.

I think it can also boil down to "why do you collect?". If it's solely for rarity and resale vaule then yes, go ex only. If it's because you love the pieces and value is just an added bonus then buy the ex you really like and the regulars if you don't like or care about a particular ex.

Most people love the Thor PF ex. I actually prefer the regular head on that one so I wouldnt pay more for the ex.

:exactly::goodpost:

Hey guys im a new collector and I wanted to weigh in.... I know myself, not really knowing too much when i first started buying, especially after reading comments and stuff here, got the impression that if you dont have the EX, your statue is inferior. Once this got in my head I went out of my way to get the wolverine pf ex, even though I didnt really like/prefer the ex portrait compared to the regular one. I wound up selling it, but to me, there is that feeling that maybe you need (for lack of a better word) to justify why you bought the regular instead of the ex. For example alot of ppl will say oh I didnt like X (whatever EX feature), so i just got the regular. I feel like that attitude (whether or not it is true) gives the impression and implies that somehow the reg is less than the ex. The ex does normally come with a lower ES, which if you were judging "value", i guess would mean that the ex is worth more, since it is rarer. Im not speaking out one way or another, as I feel the true value is what you feel it is worth, and not looking at from the perspective of well, down the line my EX will be worth more vs the Reg. I realize that and try to buy strictly based on what I like in looking at an EX vs the reg, but it is tough to not get the EX if both are available, or pay an extra 50 -100 bucks on ebay to get the ex. I myself have gone on ebay and paid the extra money, I guess just to feel like im getting the (perceived) value IN ADDITION to a statue i really wanted (the joker pf ex is what im referring to.) Obviously its easy to say get what your taste dictates and ignore the rest, but its a tough predicament. An example of this is I REALLY want the Mass effect shepard PF. The regular edition is/was available for me to pre-order and I was gonna pull the trigger, until I opted on basically passing my chance to get it, in favor of going on the waitlist for the ex. Idk why, especially bcz I dont prefer the switch out helmet in comparison to the reg, but I guess, me, and assumably everyone else, wants to get more 'bang for their buck', but idk. Thanks for your time guys.

No matter all the posting the EX will still be more sought after than the reg. version and that's just the way it is. You might not pay for it but there's hundreds of other collector's that will jump on the opportunities to add the EX version to their respective collection, just like you have hundreds of collector's that don't care about the EX. But one things for sure. The EX will always sell for more than the reg even if you wouldn't pay the price for it...:lecture

That's what makes eBay great!

No matter all the posting the EX will still be more sought after than the reg. version and that's just the way it is. You might not pay for it but there's hundreds of other collector's that will jump on the opportunities to add the EX version to their respective collection, just like you have hundreds of collector's that don't care about the EX. But one things for sure. The EX will always sell for more than the reg even if you wouldn't pay the price for it...:lecture

That's what makes eBay great!

Of course you are right m8.

Back