EX or FAIL

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best 5 EXs IMO

Sabretooth - especially matching him with Wolverine. Makes a difference.
X-Men vs Sentinel Dio #1 - amazing light up feature.
Captain America (Original) - two looks for one.
Uruk-Hai Berserker - the severed head makes the piece stand out
Iron Spider-Man - symbolizes the events of the Civil War

Anakin Skywalker PF is one of the important ones to me. The Sith eyes is a must have.

I don't agree on Deadpool. I agree that it compliments him very well, but what sold the REG to me was the two portraits.

Another example of an insignificant EX is the Shaak Ti one.

EX is only a must, when the EX features something that communicates the nature of the character considerably better than the REG.

Obviously, this is also a personal matter.

:goodpost: ^^^^^^ I agree on shaak and deadpool!

You fail anyway :lecture

:gah: well at least I have ex on most and only failed on a tiny few. :pfft:

I can't think of one EX that is essential and makes or breaks the piece.

:goodpost::exactly:

While I can think of a lot of AMAZING EXs I can't think of a SINGLE statue that is COMPLETELY MADE by it's EX ALONE. Now if I was going to say my favorite I have seen I would say: Skaar, Captain America TFA, Captain America PF, Thor PF, and again I do like the Superman PF Ex.

General Grevious ex with the red cape is a damn good ex. Yes it's just a cape but it makes a huge difference in my opinion.

:goodpost::exactly:

While I can think of a lot of AMAZING EXs I can't think of a SINGLE statue that is COMPLETELY MADE by it's EX ALONE. Now if I was going to say my favorite I have seen I would say: Skaar, Captain America TFA, Captain America PF, Thor PF, and again I do like the Superman PF Ex.

You can tell you haven't been around long :lol

Ex are for people who like to feel superior over a toy. I'd hardly call the green Hulk PF a "fail".

You can tell you haven't been around long :lol

Yep... and that I can make up my own mind, and that I think the statues THEMSELVES should be the main attraction to the art form, not the switchout parts. The question was basically is there ANY statue that can not stand on its own WITHOUT the Ex.... I bet there are dozens of guys on here who LOVE having the Regs of several statues in their collections. I know you are an Ex or Fail guy, but that isn't many of us. I know I wouldn't pay $150-$400 more for a statue in the aftermarket for an art print. Now I MIGHT consider it for the Captain America Comic PF, but it wouldn't be a situation where I wouldn't buy the PF if I found a great deal on the Reg

Ex are for people who like to feel superior over a toy. I'd hardly call the green Hulk PF a "fail".

I think that isn't entirely true. I think the Exs are for people who want the rarest version of a statue, but the "Ex or Fail" statement is a bull**** one that SOME guys use to make them better about themselves :rotfl

That's just cold ink...:lol

ummmm... ink IS COLD:horror

EX are for people that decide to buy the statue before everyone else gets on board. Then everyone who missed has to resort to the reg instead. Brush up on the Deadpool thread. It has nothing to do with superiority for most of us. For out of print or sold out pieces, that's just personal preference. If the EX adds enough value to justify the higher price (Captain America and Skarr) then people generally will take the plunge. I think with two pieces like that people are generally buying the reg to soften the blow on cost to acquire. Using Hulk is an unfair comparison. There's green and there's grey. Preference comes down to color and exclusivity. You don't get a completely different feel for the hulk sculpt like good ole Cap. To say you'd rather have the reg Deadpool, as opposed to those that have the same exact sculpt with an extra swap out hand at the same cost, your lying to yourself.

EX are for people that decide to buy the statue before everyone else gets on board. Then everyone who missed has to resort to the reg instead. Brush up on the Deadpool thread. It has nothing to do with superiority for most of us. For out of print or sold out pieces, that's just personal preference. If the EX adds enough value to justify the higher price (Captain America and Skarr) then people generally will take the plunge. I think with two pieces like that people are generally buying the reg to soften the blow on cost to acquire. Using Hulk is an unfair comparison. There's green and there's grey. Preference comes down to color and exclusivity. You don't get a completely different feel for the hulk sculpt like good ole Cap. To say you'd rather have the reg Deadpool, as opposed to those that have the same exact sculpt with an extra swap out hand at the same cost, your lying to yourself.

Some guys don't live in the U.S. so buying a Reg from a local dealer can save them upwards of $100. SO if you are collecting a statue BECAUSE you LOVE the main sculpt of the Reg, and you don't care for the swap out part, then why not buy the Reg at the local dealer and SAVE THE MONEY FOR OTHER STATUES?

Let's be HONEST here, a ****load of guys here COLLECT the EXs because the have the SMALLER numbers on the bottom. They consider these investments, and agree with that mindset or not that is what the choose to believe and feel. Add to it that MANY will continue to foster the "Ex or Fail!" attitude in order to PROTECT that investment, by influencing noobs that it is the ONLY MINDSET for a true collector, and then you get a vicious cycle.

I have seen both the Regs for the Deadpool and the Skaar PFs, and if they fell within my collection focus I could have EASILY bought them at a price $150-$200 cheaper then the Ex versions. The Reg sculpts for both are AMAZING, and while it would be nice to have the Exs I would NEVER feel like less of a collector for NOT having the Ex Axe or TINY little chicken. That isn't what the hobby is for ME, and I am not kidding myself.

As for the statement "Ex or Fail", most of the time it is a joke, he'll I have done it, but when you get into the mindset that others are lesser collectors if they don't drink th KoolAid so to speak, well, then you are being disrespectful.

Back