Evangelizing The STAR WARS Saga. Where do I begin?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which order do you watch them in?

• Chronological: Episodes I-VI

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Release Date: IV-VI, I-III

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Preserving the Twists: IV, V, I, II, III, VI

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Something completely different.

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
Well that doesn't exactly surprise me. For someone whose never seen a Star Wars film before and who starts with the PT it is the PT that will determine for them what Star Wars is. Simple as that. Rather than the OT creating the expectations, it is the PT doing so for them. As the OT was made in a different time they unavoidably will seem different and I regret to say even 'boring' to a complete newb.

Last edited:
Well that doesn't exactly surprise me. For someone whose never seen a Star Wars film before and who starts with the PT it is the PT that will determine for them what Star Wars is. Simple as that. Rather than the OT creating the expectations, it is the PT doing so for them. As the OT was made in a different time they unavoidably will seem different and I regret to say even 'boring' to a complete newb.
Look at how much the Transformers movies make. Most non-fans will only care about flashy lights and CGI action. Any movie made before 2000 is boring, old and not worth watching.

Look at how much the Transformers movies make. Most non-fans will only care about flashy lights and CGI action. Any movie made before 2000 is boring, old and not worth watching.
blasphemy-o.gif

I thought Sardo made a great point about "of its time"...

... the HUGE significance of these movies. They came out before video game, or computers, or cell phones, internet - hell, most of us didn't even have more than 10 channels or so on the TV (not everyone had cable back then). Basically, no other distractions other than books and comics. Due to the lack of choice, pop culture was almost universal (in North America, anyway). Every kid I ever knew or met back then had seen/loved Star Wars (and ESB and ROTJ). Everyone had some of the action figures, or wanted them. It was like a bond to the rest of the generation.

You have to remember the context to appreciate the older films. The impact is unimaginable, truly. But its why we're still talking and fascinated with the Star Wars universe. And why so many of its generation wish that the new generation could experience what the first viewing felt like... so long ago.

But no matter how good TFA is, it will never capture what happened in 1977.

You have to remember the context to appreciate the older films. The impact is unimaginable, truly. But its why we're still talking and fascinated with the Star Wars universe. And why so many of its generation wish that the new generation could experience what the first viewing felt like... so long ago.

No, probably not. But I'm still just hoping that it doesn't suck. I'd be ok with that. :wink1:

Same here. I fear that kind of disappointment might destroy me. :monkey2

Just trying to keep the bar low over here. I think that's the best way for me to avoid potential disappointment. I'm trying to not to get too hyped or see too much before it comes out. Seems like the official thread has dozens of tv spots, trailers, sneak peeks, pictures, ect. Just a few more weeks to go, then I can relax and watch it. As long as I can avoid the interwebs for a few days until I can see the movie. :p

Yeah, too much hype will kill the first viewing, even if its good on 2nd and 3rd goes, you really want to walk in without much foreknowledge to truly get surprised.

At least all the cardboard standees I've seen in the stores are Kylo Ren and not Jar Jar Binks. I remember seeing those back in 99 and thinking "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

I'm also avoiding all spoilers and trying to keep my own hype in check. Hype completely ruined Age of Ultron for me. I rewatched it at home recently and it (seemed) much better with lower expectations.

I'm also avoiding all spoilers and trying to keep my own hype in check. Hype completely ruined Age of Ultron for me. I rewatched it at home recently and it (seemed) much better with lower expectations.

My hype check is JJ's Star Trek movies. They are very much helping me keep expectations low. :p

The first was ok. I liked them setting up an alternate universe to play in, but I HATED what they did with it in STID. If I had the time and resources, I'd hunt down every copy and destroy it like George wants to do with the Holiday Special. :mad:

My friend had been showing them in numerical order to his girlfriend. He said she enjoyed the prequels, but couldn't get past IV.

**** her.

Meanwhile, we just finished III which she found depressing, but compelling. She's stuck around this long, so I'm really curious how she'll feel about the originals.

My old lady has never seen any of them either. When she said that, it gave me the Forest Whitaker eye

The first was ok. I liked them setting up an alternate universe to play in, but I HATED what they did with it in STID. If I had the time and resources, I'd hunt down every copy and destroy it like George wants to do with the Holiday Special. :mad:

I wasn't a ST fan at all before watching the new movies. It seems that's where the fan divide lies. My Mom is a long time Trekkie and she says the same thing you did lol.

I wasn't a ST fan at all before watching the new movies. It seems that's where the fan divide lies. My Mom is a long time Trekkie and she says the same thing you did lol.

That's very true. Seems like all the people I know who like old Trek hate the new movies and people who like the new movies never saw old Trek. It really makes me mad that they made it just another action movie. Karl Urban is great though, he should get his own spin-off movie.

I got my partner to watch them for the first time a few months back. She grew up in China in the 80's and the movies weren't even shown then, so she basically knew nothing about them.

I think she found the PT a lot more enjoyable than the rest of us because she didn't already know what the outcome was going to be.

She preferred the OT overall, but didn't like it looking so dated lol.

No matter how awesome TFA is, it will be within the context of the OT. It will be hard to quantify how much of our enjoyment will be due to its OT references.

I actually liked the prequels because they were fleshing out the OT; I didn't judge them strictly on their own cinematic merit.

Sums it up.... Star Wars in 77 was like nothing ever seen before. Now there is so much more to compete with. Giant Robots, Super Heros, Wizards, Hobbits, ect.... Back in the day there was Star Wars and it captured the imagination of everyone. I don't think there will ever be another film like it. Jurassic Park came close the first time I saw it... I felt like that same 6 year old kid who sat and watched Star Wars for the first time but it still was notclose to Star Wars.

Back