Essential Superman reading?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though it isn't a comic, this:

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Its-Superman-Tom-Haven/dp/0811844358/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313628175&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: It's Superman! (9780811844352): Tom De Haven: Books[/ame]

is a fantastic read, and is very cheap.

All-Star Superman by Morrison is awesome.
Morrison's JLA run (featuring Superman) as well as Waid's subsequent JLA run are both great as well.

My top 10 Superman stories! (not in priority order)

1. For the Man who has Everything (SUPERMAN ANNUAL #11)
superman%20fortheman_1.jpg

2. Superman The Man of Steel (Byrne reboot 1986)
BotW20110522.jpg

3. Everything Superman from 1986 (reboot) ending with the Exile saga, then jump to the death of Supes, Funeral and Reign.
---------------------------------
4. Superman Panic in the Sky
9781563890949.jpg

5. Superman Red Son
275px-Superman_Red_Son_1.jpg

6. Superman Speeding Bullets
SupermanSpeedingBullets.jpg

7. Superman Peace on Earth (Dini-Ross)
SupermanPeaceonEarth120725_f.jpg

8. Superman Secret Origins #1-6 (G. Johns)
3572180-superman-secret-origin-the-deluxe-edition.jpg

9. Superman Brainiac (Action 866-870) (G. Johns)
7094633.jpg

10. Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow (last two issues pre-crisis) (Alan Moore - Curt Swan)

51v9r1g4sjl-_ss500_.jpg
[/B]

Bonus:

Justice League the new Frontier
jla-new-frontier.jpg

Justice League the Nail
justice-league-america-nail-alan-davis-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Kingdom Come (thats the mother of all comic books IMO)
1410_400x600.jpg

Superman vs Hollywood (not a comic but if you like Superman you should read this one 5 stars!)
superman-vs-hollywood-how-fiendish-producers-devious-directors-jake-rossen-paperback-cover-art.jpg

wow Sorry missed this one:

All Star Superman 1-12
9742_400x600.jpg

And This one!!
1547_180x270.jpg

Superman for all Seasons!

thanks for the tips guys. I picked up 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' and 'Kingdom Come' today, I also bought 'Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?'

nice.

Man of Steel (first five volumes).
Superman for All Seasons
Peace on Earth
Kingdom Come
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
All-Star Superman
Action Comics #1 (where it all began).
Geoff Johns' run on Action (especially the Brainiac arc).
The Death of Superman (after all these years, it still packs a wallop).

thanks for the tips guys. I picked up 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' and 'Kingdom Come' today, I also bought 'Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?'

nice.

I'd have to say it's right up there with, if not the, best comics I've ever read. Ross' work is immaculate as usual, but Waid just really nailed every single aspect of what makes comic books fun.

after I get done reading All-Star Batman & Robin, it'll probably be the next one I read.

thanks for the recommendation. The guy at my comic store was telling me how much he loves it as well.

Superman: Red Son, Kingdom Come and All of his origin retellings... Secret Origins, Birthright... And All-Star!!!

For tomorrow is weak, by the art is terrific... All of the McGuinness run of Superman/Batman... Also any big Batman story were he is featured as Bruce's moral compass!

Superman: Red Son, Kingdom Come and All of his origin retellings... Secret Origins, Birthright... And All-Star!!!

For tomorrow is weak, by the art is terrific... All of the McGuinness run of Superman/Batman... Also any big Batman story were he is featured as Bruce's moral compass!

Ugh...the "For tomorrow" saga i just plain garbage what a waist of Jim Lee art, Azarello is to dark for Superman only Alan Moore could pulled a great stories out of Supes.

The one thing Kingdom Come got right was that Ted Kord should have lived to be an old man. ____ DC and their stupid gimmicky "event shockers."

Kingdom Come is so freaking genius that for an elseworld story youre probably seeing the future of the DC universe comics, it so damn well written and the art is top notch it deserves the Absolute edition :yess:

Ugh...the "For tomorrow" saga i just plain garbage what a waist of Jim Lee art, Azarello is to dark for Superman only Alan Moore could pulled a great stories out of Supes.

Did you read what I said? It is weak as anything... I was just saying the art is nice to look at. :)

Last edited:
Back