Essential Superman reading?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent23

21st Century Breakdown
Reaction score
Similar to blue_rogue's thread for Batman. What are some of your recommendations for Superman?

I just re-read Doomsday for the first time since it was first released (15+ years ago) and also ordered the All-Star Superman Blu-ray.

Anyway, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Action comics #775. Crazy awesome comic.

Also, I like Superman for all Seasons.

Byrne's Man of Steel origin mini-series is a good read (as are the early issues of the ongoing Superman reboot series that he helmed). A Superman for All Seasons was good by the highly touted Loeb/Sale team responsible for Long Halloween, Alan Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow is amazing, probably on par with what he did for Batman in Killing Joke as an incredibly memorable, iconic distillation of what Superman was in the pre-Byrne reboot era. For the Man Who Has Everything is another great Alan Moore yarn that made it into an episode of JLU.

Byrne's Man of Steel origin mini-series is a good read (as are the early issues of the ongoing Superman reboot series that he helmed). A Superman for All Seasons was good by the highly touted Loeb/Sale team responsible for Long Halloween, Alan Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow is amazing, probably on par with what he did for Batman in Killing Joke as an incredibly memorable, iconic distillation of what Superman was in the pre-Byrne reboot era. For the Man Who Has Everything is another great Alan Moore yarn that made it into an episode of JLU.

What. He. Said.

Buy the DC Alan Moore trade, it has all of the above and more. Also Superman: Red Son is awesome. And yes Superman: For All Seasons is good.

In the Alan Moore camp definitely

For the Man who has Everything
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow

John Byrne's the Man of Steel

All Star Superman - one of the best Superman stories in the past 40 years

Superman Batman Public Enemies
Superman Batman Supergirl
Superman Batman Vengeance

Birthright

Anything from the Loeb McGinness run from the early 2000's

Superman Red Son

Last edited:
I thought that AllStar Superman Bluray was utter crapola. Never more bored with a cartoon in my life.

A couple of my all time favorites were:

Superman; Exile

Superman: Panic in the Sky

What does that have to do with "READING?" :dunno :lol

I don't know, ask the original poster, since he mentioned the Blu Ray. :nana:

I don't really consider looking at comic books "reading" any more than I would consider watching a subtitled movie "reading" anyway.

I don't know, ask the original poster, since he mentioned the Blu Ray. :nana:

I don't really consider looking at comic books "reading" any more than I would consider watching a subtitled movie "reading" anyway.

Comic books still promote literacy much more so than sitting in front of the television like a zombie. :huh

I confess that I get the DC animated films just to get them, but I will say that the Green Lantern ones were way worse than All Star Superman. However, All Star Superman the comic is fantastic.

Back