Episode One 10th Anniversary in '09...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the PT is concern, I have always ranked TPM better than AOTC but behind ROTS.

Yes. I would get Jar Jar if Sideshow make him.:lol

I'm not exactly sure where I put TPM vs ROTS. One thing I know is that I'd probably pick TPM to watch 8/10 vs ROTS.

ROTS is a bit dark to want to watch too often. It also bogs down a bit with the political scheming stuff.

They mentioned earlier in the film that Dooku trained Qui-Gon.

Which film and when?

Nice to see that there is some love for TPM on here.

I know I am in the minority but I actually feel it's the best of the new SW films. It's the one that feels the most like a SW film to me. Yes it has any faults but I can look past them to the stuff I love. Qui, Maul, Lightsaber duel and the Pod Race are amoung the best things in the new trilogy.

AOTC is by far the worst SW film. And while I liked ROTS the first time I saw it in the theater it has since gone down hill for me.

I just can't get past the fact that Vader does nothing. He cuts off Mace's hand, Kills baby Jedi, Kills unarmed aliens, and then gets his but kicked by Obi. It all just ruins the OT for me just a bit.

I also hate the Yoda/Emperor fight also. And general grievous and the plot surrounding sucked and was a waste of time.

I couldn't agree more.

ROTS is severely, severely overrated. I've actually seen lists that rank it above ROTJ. :monkey4

Grievious and Dooku only help to further the notion that Lucas royally f#$%ed up by killing off Maul.

For me ROTS is on par with ROTJ.. meaning they rank #3 on the list. Other than Maul and Qui TPM is just too painful to watch with all the stupid stuff he put in it.

Which film and when?

I believe it was in AOTC, on Geonosia when Dooku was talking with the captured Obi Wan. He talks about how Qui Gon would've joined his cause and it is there that we learned that Dooku was Qui Gon's master. 'course, I could be wrong on this...

But it's kinda irrelevant. We also learn in the saga that Jedi go to different masters for their skills. Anakin wasn't taught his lightsaber skills by Obi Wan (they had different styles as mentioned earlier), Obi Wan was by far superior in lightsaber skills than Qui Gon in TPM, and Dooku didn't utilize the same style as either Yoda or Sidious who were his masters. So just why Obi Wan turned into such a puss around Dooku, if for any reason other than to further plot development, remains a mystery.

EDIT:
I just can't get past the fact that Vader does nothing. He cuts off Mace's hand, Kills baby Jedi, Kills unarmed aliens, and then gets his but kicked by Obi. It all just ruins the OT for me just a bit.

Don't forget that it's not until between ROTS and ANH that Vader truely comes into his own, becoming the feared enforcer of the Empire. We only see Anakin become Vader towards the end of ROTS and by ANH, the character's already established. Unfortunately, Lucas admittedly blew over that (like he did the whole Clone Wars) for the Anakin Skywalker "rise and fall" storyline. The good news is you can read about it in some great books and comics.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that Obi Wan did teach Anakin his lightsaber technique. There are a few shots in the ROTS duel where they are mirror images of each other as they fight. I thought it was just a matter of Anakin being way more aggressive and Obi Wan letting him overdue it, which eventually does him in.
That's just my opinion, though. I don't know if it's been otherwise explained.

I was under the impression that Obi Wan did teach Anakin his lightsaber technique. There are a few shots in the ROTS duel where they are mirror images of each other as they fight. I thought it was just a matter of Anakin being way more aggressive and Obi Wan letting him overdue it, which eventually does him in.
That's just my opinion, though. I don't know if it's been otherwise explained.

For the end duel, yes. Which adds EVEN MORE to the inconsistency. Obi Wan likes fighting with one lightsaber (even against Grevious who had 4), whereas Anakin, at times, prefers two. Obi Wan has that "peace-out dude" stance, whereas Anakin holds his saber above his head. Definitely two distinct styles.

For the end duel, yes. Which adds EVEN MORE to the inconsistency. Obi Wan likes fighting with one lightsaber (even against Grevious who had 4), whereas Anakin, at times, prefers two. Obi Wan has that "peace-out dude" stance, whereas Anakin holds his saber above his head. Definitely two distinct styles.

You are correct. They are 2 distinct forms of fighting. Though they can and do practice more than one style. Anakin practiced Form V: Shien / Djem So "Way of the Krayt Dragon" while Kenobi practiced Form III: Soresu "Way of the Mynock". Also, Anakin got his rear kicked because of his arrogance and kenobi being a better strategist, not because Kenobi was better swordsman.

"Anakin practiced Form V: Shien and a few of Ataru's flashier moves. He began to master Form V's powerful subform, Djem So, after his defeat at the hands of Count Dooku on Geonosis. It proved most effective; with his mastery of Djem So, and his feint in using the opening stance of Shien, he was able to overpower and defeat Count Dooku during their second duel, which took place onboard Invisible Hand. Anakin also used Djem So when he fought with his former friend and Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi on Mustafar. Though Anakin's skill and technique with Djem So outclassed Kenobi's Soresu, Kenobi defeated the newly crowned Lord of the Sith in their fierce duel. Despite Skywalker being a better physical opponent than Kenobi, Kenobi had more skill in strategy than Skywalker had in dueling. Through the duel Kenobi gave ground, used less energy defending himself than by pressing the assault, and won the duel by taking the high ground. Obi-Wan's patience and experience with Soresu, paired with Sokan, was enough to best the overconfident young Sith Lord who, after being duped by Kenobi, arrogantly initiated his own defeat trying to jump to Obi-Wan's hightened position."
-Wookiepedia

Last edited:
Obi-Wan and Anakin fighting styles are different, one is aggressive and the other one more balanced. However, their sword techniques are almost the same. It is like two different views of the same concept.

Last edited:
You are correct. They are 2 distinct forms of fighting. Though they can and do practice more than one style. Anakin practiced Form V: Shien / Djem So "Way of the Krayt Dragon" while Kenobi practiced Form III: Soresu "Way of the Mynock". Also, Anakin got his rear kicked because of his arrogance and kenobi being a better strategist, not because Kenobi was better swordsman.

"Anakin practiced Form V: Shien and a few of Ataru's flashier moves. He began to master Form V's powerful subform, Djem So, after his defeat at the hands of Count Dooku on Geonosis. It proved most effective; with his mastery of Djem So, and his feint in using the opening stance of Shien, he was able to overpower and defeat Count Dooku during their second duel, which took place onboard Invisible Hand. Anakin also used Djem So when he fought with his former friend and Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi on Mustafar. Though Anakin's skill and technique with Djem So outclassed Kenobi's Soresu, Kenobi defeated the newly crowned Lord of the Sith in their fierce duel. Despite Skywalker being a better physical opponent than Kenobi, Kenobi had more skill in strategy than Skywalker had in dueling. Through the duel Kenobi gave ground, used less energy defending himself than by pressing the assault, and won the duel by taking the high ground. Obi-Wan's patience and experience with Soresu, paired with Sokan, was enough to best the overconfident young Sith Lord who, after being duped by Kenobi, arrogantly initiated his own defeat trying to jump to Obi-Wan's hightened position."
-Wookiepedia

All that training so that by the end of ANH, they could slap each other with their wet noodles...:lol

I believe it was in AOTC, on Geonosia when Dooku was talking with the captured Obi Wan. He talks about how Qui Gon would've joined his cause and it is there that we learned that Dooku was Qui Gon's master. 'course, I could be wrong on this...

Yup.

COUNT DOOKU:
It's a great pity that our paths have never
crossed before, Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon always spoke very highly
of you. I wish he were still alive. I could use his help
right now.

OBI-WAN:
Qui-Gon Jinn would never join you.

COUNT DOOKU:
Don't be so sure, my young Jedi. You forget
that he was once my apprentice just as you were once his.
He knew all about the corruption in the Senate, but he
would never have gone along with it if he had known the
truth as I have.​

:D Yet another discussion about the films is ruined by EU crap.

Why do SW conversations always have to turn into geek fests about fighting styles or something?

When discussing the films, it's best to leave the EU stuff out of it and vice-versa. They're two separate entities.

When discussing the films, it's best to leave the EU stuff out of it and vice-versa. They're two separate entities.

I agree. I remember when Nick Gillard was asked about Vaapad in a sw.com chat and he said he didn´t know what was it. He also said Obi-Wan fighting style is balanced not defensive.

Yeah, and talking about Star Wars movies is not geeky in itself.

Not when we're talking about whether its a good film or not. Inevitably some uber geek has to validate or invalidate the quality of the movie or the coolness of the character by bringing up stupid ^^^^ like "Bossk kills Wookies, so he rules" or "The love scenes in AOTC really make sense when you consider that Padme in the comics...blah blah blah."

Not when we're talking about whether its a good film or not. Inevitably some uber geek has to validate or invalidate the quality of the movie or the coolness of the character by bringing up stupid ^^^^ like "Bossk kills Wookies, so he rules" or "The love scenes in AOTC really make sense when you consider that Padme in the comics...blah blah blah."

Like you said, its inevitable, so why fight it. I came into the "conversation" as they were talking about fighting styles, I though it was an intresting topic so I joined in. That is how it works.

Man, it is refreshing to see a Star Wars argument that doesn't revolve around the tired, redundant Hater/Apologist loop.
Cheers to you guys!
:duff

EDIT : Just to add that I don't mind the EU diversions in film threads. It's the only way I learn about anything that goes on in 95% of the novels and 100% of the comics.

Back