Episode One 10th Anniversary in '09...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not arguing, I'm just saying it sucks that every thread about a SW movie or character has some geeky debate about crap that people make up so they can close the loop on every little thing. Its like in the fat Jabba chick thread someone has to come in an explain that she really isn't a fat ugly ^^^^^ but a sorceress with big tits that hold gas and she was bidding her time to kill B'Omar Monk

I was just kidding, I know what you're saying. I'm a Star Wars movie fan. I treat the EU like a Star Wars Buffet. Take what you want, disregard the rest.

I'm not arguing, I'm just saying it sucks that every thread about a SW movie or character has some geeky debate about crap that people make up so they can close the loop on every little thing. Its like in the fat Jabba chick thread someone has to come in an explain that she really isn't a fat ugly ^^^^^ but a sorceress with big tits that hold gas and she was bidding her time to kill B'Omar Monk

One could argue the alternative side of that argument. Why is it when people are having an educated discussion about Star Wars, some buzz-killing, close-minded nurf herder always comes in and cries because he's barely literate and can't fathom reading anything more than a comic strip so he's only stuck to material that was in the films and posting rants in forums where he finds himself intellectually impotent. :rolleyes:

I started the Yarna thread you're talking about and actually found it quite interesting that Yarna D'Al'Gargan actually not only had a back story, but had been fleshed out on novelization AFTER ROTJ.

*overweight guy in Jedi garb uses Jedi mind trick on Ashton16, now he is a HUGE fan of the Prequels*

:rotfl

"These are the films we were hoping for...."

droids.jpg

I have to say that I really like The Phantom Menace, its on par to me with Ep III as far as the New Trilogy is concerned. Ep II was by far the worst.

I like TPM because to me it feels the most like the original trilogy, there's some form of dialogue, the movie isn't just designed to go from cgi action scene to bigger cgi action scene with horribly acted one liners thrown in for fun. TPM felt a lot more deliberate, and if you can look past (or just blur your eyes a little) Jar Jar Binks, I think it's quite a good movie. The other two movies felt nothing like the old trilogy.

*overweight guy in Jedi garb uses Jedi mind trick on Ashton16, now he is a HUGE fan of the Prequels*

Speaking of 1:1 props (hmm, nobody is, are they?), I think a 1:1 Han in Carbonite would be the ultimate prop EVER. (Just came to me as I looked at your sig)

:lol

Seriously. Some people spend more time and effort rationalizing stuff than Lucas does writing/making the movies in the first place.

LOL...and you just totally explained why Lucas should have let some of these guys write the movies.

I never really "hated" TPM but I never really loved it all that much either.
But it did have a kick ass lightsaber duel! :rock :rock
:maul

Ummm...not. I guess i am in a vast minority, but I am not impressed by these pretty, coreographed, lightsaber duels. Don't get me wrong-o. I LOVE the Maul character. I have always held that character to be the very best of all Star Wars bad guys. But it is way to obvious, to me, looking at there moves, that they were more aiming to hit each others lightsabers than to try to take each others craniums off. And that just does not make for a realistic lightsaber/sword fight to me.

Yes it was pretty, like two guys dancing a tango (and thereby a little disturbing), but not cool, like two guys layin' down some straight-from-your-soul hate on each other.

Absolutely. I hate how choreographed everything looks in the new ones. Stupid flips and turns. So unnecessary.

The duels in the first three seemed more like all out fights for lives. Vader taking hard uncontrolled swings. Obi-Wan taking short cuts.

Speaking of 1:1 props (hmm, nobody is, are they?), I think a 1:1 Han in Carbonite would be the ultimate prop EVER. (Just came to me as I looked at your sig)

It's already been done. There's one in these forums about a desktop version Here, and here's the link to the prop replica that was produced some time ago: Here

Absolutely. I hate how choreographed everything looks in the new ones. Stupid flips and turns. So unnecessary.

The duels in the first three seemed more like all out fights for lives. Vader taking hard uncontrolled swings. Obi-Wan taking short cuts.

Stupid flips and turns? Luke was also flipping and turning during his lightsaber fights in the OT, fights which were also heavily choreographed. As a matter of fact, Ben vs. Vader was extremely choreographed as for one of the major takes, the lightsabers with the blades were missing so the two, Guinness and Prowse were able to nail the choreography without the blades (imaginary lightsabers) to complete the shot.

Last edited:
Stupid flips and turns? Luke was also flipping and turning during his lightsaber fights in the OT, fights which were also heavily choreographed. As a matter of fact, Ben vs. Vader was extremely choreographed as for one of the major takes, the lightsabers with the blades were missing so the two, Guinness and Prowse were able to nail the choreography without the blades (imaginary lightsabers) to complete the shot.

I didn't like it then either.

If anyone wants to know what I like in a sword fight, check out the enf of Fellowship of The Ring. Watch Aragorn/Lurtz.

Now THAT is a sword fight!

Edit - Oh, and by the way. Didn't Dave and Sir Alec have wooden dowels that they were using?

I didn't like it then either. If anyone wants to know what I like in a sword fight, check out the enf of Fellowship of The Ring. Watch Aragorn/Lurtz. Now THAT is a sword fight!

Edit - Oh, and by the way. Didn't Dave and Sir Alec have wooden dowels that they were using?

I think you missed one of the statements in my post. Yes, they did have mock blades, but for one reason or another, the prop department had misplaced them and the two did the take with no blades at all.

I think you missed one of the statements in my post. Yes, they did have mock blades, but for one reason or another, the prop department had misplaced them and the two did the take with no blades at all.

Wonder how read around that. Thanks. That actually might explain why their duel didn't look as good as it might have. They may have been being TOO careful to make it look realistic.

You know, I read a couple pages back about how someone made a detailed analysis of the different fighting forms Obi-Wan and Anakin used against each other in Ep3, and I did glance at it in some of the source books, and it's cool to me as "filler" material, but it's not that complicated. Watching Sith the first time, what's clever is, during the duel on Mustufaar, Anakin couldn't quite pull-off the same "low-ground, flip, land behind you and swipe you in half" stunt that his former Master pulled on Maul in Phantom. Same scenario, but with Anakin pulling the trigger. Unfortunatly Obi-Wan wrote the book on being a bad muthr ^^^^er and kicked the table out from under him:lol

Wonder how read around that. Thanks. That actually might explain why their duel didn't look as good as it might have. They may have been being TOO careful to make it look realistic.

I actually think they did a considerable job. Aside from the fact that it must have felt absolutely foolish fighting with "air sabers," the coreography was so well rehearsed that unless you're "step-scanning" the DVD, I doubt you could even really tell which cut is the one where they're fighting with no lightsaber blades vs. the cuts with the prop blades.

One could argue the alternative side of that argument. Why is it when people are having an educated discussion about Star Wars, some buzz-killing, close-minded nurf herder always comes in and cries because he's barely literate and can't fathom reading anything more than a comic strip so he's only stuck to material that was in the films and posting rants in forums where he finds himself intellectually impotent. :rolleyes:

I started the Yarna thread you're talking about and actually found it quite interesting that Yarna D'Al'Gargan actually not only had a back story, but had been fleshed out on novelization AFTER ROTJ.

I read...but admittedly, I save my time reading good books, not modern sci-fi crap for fan boys with so little interest in anything outside of Star Wars that they have to fill their silly life with poorly written drivel.

I really hope SSC is warming up for a few figures from this film to celebrate the anniversary. Ideally, I'd love to see 6 TPM figures in 2009/2010.

Obi-Wan
Queen Amidala (Naboo Invasion)
Anakin (with pod race and Naboo fighter helmets)
Nute Gunray
Naboo soldier or pilot

If possible, Jar Jar too.

Back