Ep 2 Phase 1 Clone bodysuit discolouration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread kinda went on its own thing before I could catch up, one questions of the Phase I Clones the only one on the "old" suit is the plain White clone correct?

No, the ones that have the old/vinyl? suit are: Utapau, 41st, Shock and Clone Wars Obi-wan. I think the Clone Commander was the first with the fabric suit. This vinyl suit thing affects a lot of clones so it would be nice if SS gave us a chance to get the new suits at cost if not free.

Edit: I took the Lieutenant off this list because of Pantone's info that he has a ribbed suit instead of the vinyl one it shows on the box cover. So I guess he would be the first one with the ribbed suit (instead of the Commander) and they probably made the change after the box picture was made but before the figure was shipped. 501st removed, thanks 6Series and JonEl

Last edited:
No, the ones that have the old/vinyl? suit are: 501st, Lieutenant, Utapau, 41st, Shock and Clone Wars Obi-wan. I think the Clone Commander was the first with the fabric suit.

The Lieutenant has the ribbed suit, even if the image shown on the box has him wearing the old vinyl one.

The Lieutenant has the ribbed suit, even if the image shown on the box has him wearing the old vinyl one.
Thanks pantone. :hi5: I just bought one recently but haven't had time to pull him out yet, so I was going by the box picture. I'm glad I was wrong though, at least one less suit to try and replace. :yess:

The only figure I'm having the issue with is the Phase I all white clone. My other Phase II clones are fine (so far). I totally striped my Phase I clone down and swapped out the vinyl suit for a newer cloth suit I bought off ebay. There was some discoloration to some of the armor, so I repainted the whole thing.

Thanks Shanester. Good to know that eventually when I go back to get that one I'll have to get a bodysuit on top of it.

No, the ones that have the old/vinyl? suit are: 501st, Utapau, 41st, Shock and Clone Wars Obi-wan. I think the Clone Commander was the first with the fabric suit. This vinyl suit thing affects a lot of clones so it would be nice if SS gave us a chance to get the new suits at cost if not free.

Edit: I took the Lieutenant off this list because of Pantone's info that he has a ribbed suit instead of the vinyl one it shows on the box cover. So I guess he would be the first one with the ribbed suit (instead of the Commander) and they probably made the change after the box picture was made but before the figure was shipped.

All of my 501st came with the fabric suit.

Could you tells us what it is, where to find it? Or are you thinking of selling them also? :)

I plan on making and selling at $20 shipped (or 10 for $190 for the customizers) once I get it down and it looks good. :)

Bring it on Yodacappy! I paid more than that for mine.

The switch out is fairly simple as long as you don't have armor discoloration issues.

I plan on making and selling at $20 shipped (or 10 for $190 for the customizers) once I get it down and it looks good. :)

Sounds good... is there a thread where I can learn out to take out the body armour?

Sounds good... is there a thread where I can learn out to take out the body armour?

This worked for me:

Chest armor:
Continuously squeeze the armor at the sides and front until the glue finally gives in and it should pop apart. This can take a while.

Abdomen: Same as above, but when the armor is put on sometimes a little glue oozes on the body suit. I slipped a little piece of cardboard between the armor and the suit to make sure this didn't happen.

Most importantly--Be very patient and don't force it, it will loosen and pop apart nicely. They glued the parts together so what you are doing is breaking the bond of the glue and the squeezing weakens that bond without breaking the parts (unless you try to force it).

Hope that helps!

This worked for me:

Chest armor:
Continuously squeeze the armor at the sides and front until the glue finally gives in and it should pop apart. This can take a while.
That worked for me too, with a little help from a screwdriver.

Abdomen: Same as above, but when the armor is put on sometimes a little glue oozes on the body suit. I slipped a little piece of cardboard between the armor and the suit to make sure this didn't happen.
This is the most tricky part. squeezing alone won't do, because of the tiny "tips" that lap over from the back section. Make sure you don't break them.

When putting back together, begin with the abdomen armor, not the other way around!

Most importantly--Be very patient and don't force it
:exactly:

This worked for me:

Chest armor:

Most importantly--Be very patient and don't force it, it will loosen and pop apart nicely. They glued the parts together so what you are doing is breaking the bond of the glue and the squeezing weakens that bond without breaking the parts (unless you try to force it).

Hope that helps!

Thanks Yoda! At least I got directions on how to go around this. Looking forward to your fabric suit than! Obiclone will be first to be pop open as I am converting it to a clone instead.

Be careful with that torso armor. If you are too rough or impatient, you will get damage. Go slow and the glue will give way. They didn't seem to use much anyway and mine came loose nicely. Everything else slides off without much convincing.

I got in a Phase I yesterday... and definite discolorations. I expected that and already have the armor stripped off and given a bit of weathering. Should have the replacement body suit (ribbed) today and I'll finish him up.

I fiddled with him a bit over lunch... so the clear coat and glue will be dry by the time I get home. I'll snap some pics then, I may end up reworking the weathering, but since is the first time painting a clone I really don't have a good feel for how it should look.

Back