Enterbay Facebook prevents freedom of speech

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its funny you mention OSW because I was wondering what that one was like yesterday when SSF was down. Now I know. Ive been here about a week and people have busted my chops, made fun of me and even called me names either to haze or just have fun. None of this bothers me infact Ive had alot of fun with it. Oh people have been welcoming too but its just cool to have a nice mix of people. OSW sounds boring. Too much nice can be sickening.

OSW's a great place to visit. Especially if there's downtime from SSC. Unfortunately, despite several members having memberships there that have memberships here, the vibe isn't as colorful. Not to say that there's anything wrong with that, but you also don't get the interaction with collectors who collect outside the 1/6 genre.

Yeah, I like a lot of stuff over on OSW, but don't feel the same connection I do here. But with such a wide focus we do seem to get a lot more whining :lol

OSW's a great place to visit. Especially if there's downtime from SSC. Unfortunately, despite several members having memberships there that have memberships here, the vibe isn't as colorful. Not to say that there's anything wrong with that, but you also don't get the interaction with collectors who collect outside the 1/6 genre.

Hmm Ok maybe one day Ill check it out. I only have so much time during the day to get on this forum anyway so 1 is just enough for now. Plus Im gettin gused to this one :lol

And the cure-all...

8449378Lop.gif

:lol:lol Nice. :lol

I can understand this from the POV of both sides. I am a moderator for a local forum here and recently I gave a member a stern warning because he was posting the same question in multiple threads and in the wrong section.

This member in question was repeatedly asking about the arrival of a particular item which was delayed (tsunami and supplier issues) which we have repeatedly explained multiple times.

Said member wasn't satisfied with the explanation and was posting all over the place about it. I step in as a moderator and did my job. Take note that I did not even delete his posts yet. I just gave a warning.

Long story short he went on into a multiple page outburst about my conduct and how I am a nazi and gestapo and a killer to free speech and at the same time demanding that my superior explain my conduct and threatened to file a complain with the company.

I did what any moderator will do in this situation. I deleted his post and lock the thread because he wouldn't stop posting despite my repeated attempt at asking him to drop the issue.

Again, long story short, I was reprimanded by my superior because he felt that my actions have cost the company. Said member really filed a complain about me being rude and all and said member said that he will never buy again from our store and will ask his friends to do the same.

I argued my case saying that he has clearly broken forum rules and was being a nuisance to everyone that actually wants to take part in a proper discussion with his multi-page outburst. Yet I was told that in doing so will scare away members and soon our forums will be empty because everyone will be afraid of the nazi moderator who goes around deleting people posts.

I felt that I did what I was supposed to do and that is protecting the company reputation. The member felt that he was heckled and picked on and was denied his right to ask questions. My superior felt that I have damaged our store reputation instead because an unhappy customer means a lost for us.

I am still unhappy about the situation but when you run a business, I guess the bottomline is all that matters.

In EB case, if in censoring will help them sell more BL, I guess it's the right call.
do you work for Digital River?

I can understand this from the POV of both sides. I am a moderator for a local forum here and recently I gave a member a stern warning because he was posting the same question in multiple threads and in the wrong section.

This member in question was repeatedly asking about the arrival of a particular item which was delayed (tsunami and supplier issues) which we have repeatedly explained multiple times.

Said member wasn't satisfied with the explanation and was posting all over the place about it. I step in as a moderator and did my job. Take note that I did not even delete his posts yet. I just gave a warning.

Long story short he went on into a multiple page outburst about my conduct and how I am a nazi and gestapo and a killer to free speech and at the same time demanding that my superior explain my conduct and threatened to file a complain with the company.

Well done noisetrigger. In this case, you've done the right thing & I totally agree with you. That's what a sensible mod should do. If a mod thinks the comments or feedbacks are too harsh or damaging to the company's reputation, he can delete those concerned posts or give a warning to the member. If the member refuses to amend or still repeating the same offence then the mod has the right to ban or block him.

However in EB case, no warning is given & users are simply blocked at the mod's temperament. While I understand & respect that the FB owner or mod has the right to do so, IMHO this is unprofessional. Don't forget those users are EB loyal fans or avid buyers. By such action, of course they would feel hurt & feel betrayed. In most cases, users are reasonable if given a proper warning. I don't think their actions warrant such "blockage" esp those feedbacks that weren't harsh, etc.

Well done noisetrigger. In this case, you've done the right thing & I totally agree with you. That's what a sensible mod should do. If a mod thinks the comments or feedbacks are too harsh or damaging to the company's reputation, he can delete those concerned posts or give a warning to the member. If the member refuses to amend or still repeating the same offence then the mod has the right to ban or block him.

However in EB case, no warning is given & users are simply blocked at the mod's temperament. While I understand & respect that the FB owner or mod has the right to do so, IMHO this is unprofessional. Don't forget those users are EB loyal fans or avid buyers. By such action, of course they would feel hurt & feel betrayed. In most cases, users are reasonable if given a proper warning. I don't think their actions warrant such "blockage" esp those feedbacks that weren't harsh, etc.

You're comparing forums with a company's facebook page, kinda apples and oranges. A forum's purpose is to provide a vehicle for member discussion whereas a facebook page is in this case a company's public online face.

Me, I'm a little confused that you appear to be more worked up about EB's management of their facebook page than EB's management of the GoD marketing strategy, which was by all accounts poorly conceived. All the effort taken to complain about EB's facebook page could have been put into setting up your own facebook page, where all those so inclined can blow off steam to their heart's content.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I feel much better now. This issue has been bugging for a while now. I felt that I did what I was supposed to do with the responsibility bestowed upon me but the incident has left questioning my ability to take on the role of a moderator.

In the aftermath of that issue, I am now being look upon by colleagues as somewhat of a loose cannon.

do you work for Digital River?

No, why though?

Unprofessional??? So EB tolerate post like these....

photo7-1.png

photo2.png

photo1.png

EBLetter.png

The above comment by Robbie Monson was utter BS!! guy just made it up!! I challenged him and didnt reply and deleted his own comment!!

If anyone comments stuff like that on my own facebook fanpage... I ban the S O B's end of story.... Its EBs page if you not like .... GTFO.....

So with me posting the images above... you guys get a bit of glory.

Unprofessional??? So EB tolerate post like these....

The above comment by Robbie Monson was utter BS!! guy just made it up!! I challenged him and didnt reply and deleted his own comment!!

If anyone comments stuff like that on my own facebook fanpage... I ban the S O B's end of story.... Its EBs page if you not like .... GTFO.....

So with me posting the images above... you guys get a bit of glory.

In no way did I ever indicate or imply that EB should tolerate such harsh or idiotic comments. I never against you deleting such posts. In fact, I agree with your action cos they deserve to be deleted. However, blocking a person is an entirely different thing where you fail to notify the offender (or the general public) & giving him a chance to amend his action. What message does EB want to convey? EB doesn't give a damn about their customers? If only EB said something during the initial stage the situation could probably be contained. :slap

But it appears you simply "terminating" whoever has committed an offence or just because you don't like certain words. But how do you explain IndentTab's situation which seem quite harmless? Did his questions warrant a total ban as well? :dunno

We can indeed tell a lot about a person for using inappropriate words such as SOB & GTFO....these words to some people are very offensive. Very unprofessional indeed. Oh I forgot that's freedom of speech right? Or a mod can do & say whatever he wants right? :horror

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back