Ender's Game

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProgMatinee

circlesendwheretheybegin
Reaction score
Apologies if there's a thread. Couldn't find it.

Anyway, I'm stoked for this film. I only recently read the book and I loved it. The movie appears to be pretty dang true to the visuals put out by the book, so I am really hoping it executes the plots with the same diligence.

The last chapter of the book is one of the most profound things I've read in fantasy or scifi.

I heard there's some boycott by some in the gay community which is pretty ironic to me given the last chapter of the book especially (not about sexuality, but about forgiveness and moving on from the past). I'll leave that alone beyond that.

Anyone excited for this?

Well a very pro-LGBT band (The Flaming Lips) is doing an EP for the film, so I can't imagine there is any backlash except among a fringe of that community.

The gay thing is more about Orson Scott Card himself rather then the actual book. The book doesn't offend anyone. Card being a ****** nozzle does, however.

That being said, I don't know. The director is the same person who did X-Men Origins Wolverine. So I'm not that confident. I'll wait and see what the reviews say.

I wouldn't know Orson Scott Card from Adam, but its sounds like a person having an opinion about an issue that probably the silent majority still have, but because he's a celebrity for some reason he's supposed front a different belief than what it is truly is. As far as I know he's not out there proactively trying to ruin the lives of gays so for them to hold a grudge over a belief in which he came out on the "losing" side anyway seems sort of pointless and in which I see the irony from the last chapter of Ender's Game.

Richard Wagner was prolly the biggest "****** nozzle" the art world has ever known. Doesn't stop his operas being played just about nonstop throughout the educated world every year.

I'm just telling you what I heardz.

He hates gay people or at least gay marriage. He's publicly said this, multiple times. That is where this whole thing came from. Not his work. Which is a shame. Because that's what people are going to see when they walk into this movie.

I have been looking forward to this film for a while. I haven't read the book yet but plan to after seeing the film to compare the two.

Oh and I couldn't care less what Orson Scott Card's personal views are on any given subject. I go to a movie or read a book to be entertained. Period. People always seem to want to turn everything into a political issue any more. I get sick of it.

I'm just telling you what I heardz.

He hates gay people or at least gay marriage. He's publicly said this, multiple times. That is where this whole thing came from. Not his work. Which is a shame. Because that's what people are going to see when they walk into this movie.

This is the first time I'm hearing about all of this. I couldn't care less about an author's views on anything as long as I like the work. When I go to the theater to see Ender's Game I'm going to see a movie based on a novel that I love; not "Oh, Card hates homosexuals so this sucks." :dunno

Can't wait to see this.

Picked up the book a month or so ago, and tried reading it but the way Card moves from third to first person with Ender's inner dialogue without anything to distinguishing it took me completely out of the story. Had to stop reading it. For some reason I can't get behind anything written in first person.

Can't wait to see this.

Picked up the book a month or so ago, and tried reading it but the way Card moves from third to first person with Ender's inner dialogue without anything to distinguishing it took me completely out of the story. Had to stop reading it. For some reason I can't get behind anything written in first person.

Are you talking about the beginning of each chapter? I too think its odd, but it's only like the first 2 paragraphs of each chapter, which if you treat as a prologue to each chapter its not that big a deal. Once you get past those paragraphs the narration is normal. Maybe its the version I read. I know he re-edited it in the 90s.

Like I said earlier I hope the fact they are sticking so close to things like the "stars" the team names, the look of the spacestation that it speaks to accuracy. I just wonder if they keep his dreams, Peter, Locke, etc.

I think this might open pretty well actually. There seemed to be a solid buzz about it at comic-con. I will be seeing it when it comes out.

Back