Empty Hot Toy boxes - Do people actually want them?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to get rid all of them, mostly due to real estate issue. But I've decided to keep those boxes, just in case I need to move stuffs around or reallocate to new places...pain in the ***.

Wanted to get rid all of them, mostly due to real estate issue. But I've decided to keep those boxes, just in case I need to move stuffs around or reallocate to new places...pain in the ***.

Yeah. Except for the artwork on some of 'em, I think about liberating myself. But then I think if I ever had to sell - only time I talked to a "real" collectibles dealer, well they wanna buy entire collection, not one at a time. In-box would sell better. Tho who knows 10 years from now, if the the figs last that long, if any of this will be worth anything. Collectible value is pretty volatile.

For now I put up with the space hogging.

I've kept all mine, but space really is an issue. They're not something you can fold away to make more compact because of the foam interior. I've stashed them on top of wardrobes and closets.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah, like many I’ve often considered getting rid of the art boxes. Just because they take up so much damn space. I don’t foresee myself selling anything (I haven’t to date and have been collecting since 2012), but just in case it probably is better to keep them. The shippers I do trash instantly though. The little bit of added thickness from keeping them is just enough where it gets harder to cram more boxes together so I just decided they had to go.

Since we are on the subject about empty art boxes, if anyone has a HellBoy/Godfather Art Box they are thinking about throwing out I’d buy it. I picked up those 2 figures several years ago from a fellow collector who threw the art boxes away.

I keep all the unused parts in the boxes but I must admit they are a real stress on storage space.

I gave up on boxes a long time ago. The only boxes I keep are for the truly breakable stuff (statues), and the really nice sturdy, magnetic flap covered, boxes (like the ones used by TBLeague — which I use to store all the additional accessories). There just isn’t enough room to justify keeping every single box (though I have kept some of the cover art, cut down and laying flat). Im not in the hobby to make money, and I always assume these things are like a car — as soon as it’s off the lot, it’s already lost a portion of its value — so if I take a loss on it, I’m not that bothered; particularly since the evidence shows that most of this stuff doesn’t last anywhere near the way toys of yesteryear have.

I keep all the unused parts in the boxes but I must admit they are a real stress on storage space.

I have special bins for the extra parts, and with name tags on each little bag/pouch/smaller box that goes in that bin. This way I can have the original boxes in the attic, but the parts are easy to access being in another room.

I hope to do an attic purge this year. I'll keep the Hot Toys boxes though if I can. I expect it'll be NECA and Hasbro Star Wars boxes I compact or throw out.

I gave up on boxes a long time ago. The only boxes I keep are for the truly breakable stuff (statues), and the really nice sturdy, magnetic flap covered, boxes (like the ones used by TBLeague ? which I use to store all the additional accessories). There just isn?t enough room to justify keeping every single box (though I have kept some of the cover art, cut down and laying flat). Im not in the hobby to make money, and I always assume these things are like a car ? as soon as it?s off the lot, it?s already lost a portion of its value ? so if I take a loss on it, I?m not that bothered; particularly since the evidence shows that most of this stuff doesn?t last anywhere near the way toys of yesteryear have.

Wow, good post, has me doin' a reality check again. Yeah, I collect for me. IMO HTs aren't designed for longevity and even if they are - all my movie based figs, is there gonna be a huge market for these 20 years from now? Movie based figs collectors may or may not care, but suspect there isn't that many collecting from films decades old. Like would anyone want my 3rd party Scarlet Witch 20 years from now?

LOL tho was lookin' around at my figs just now - man, do luv my figs tho. They're AWESOME:cool:. Think right now just don't have the stones to get rid of the boxes.:lol

I understand the idea of keeping boxes for nice statues (especially if your lifestyle includes moving from time to time). As for figures, I collect only what I truly want, so the boxes go in the recycle bin. I saw Star Wars on my fifth birthday in 1977 (I guess that qualifies me as 'old school'!), so my connection is with the character and the nostalgia associated with it versus the packaging. If I wake up one day and all these little things no longer interest me, or if I final grow out of it (ha!), I'll just give them(the figures) away.

I feel a bit better throwing mine out now. I?ve sold so much and now I have the figures that I?m going to keep. Just hope HT doesn?t release version 2 of figures with major improvements LOL

Admittedly have space back is awesome.

When I first started in the 1/6 figure hobby (a long, long time ago...) the boxes were tossed.

Once I started collecting the higher end figures, I made sure to keep them all. While I don't plan on selling any figures at the moment, I have done so in the past and having the boxes definitely helped with recovering the funds initially invested. Space is not an issue, as they are all stacked in the attic. If you have the space available, I highly recommend you save them.

I trash the shippers. i keep the hot toys boxes because they look good usually and I keep the accessories in there. I do collapse huge boxes though like hulk and iron monger.

Generic boxes, like what sideshow make, I toss and keep the accessories in bags.

Hot toys has been selling 1/6 versions of their boxes though, I've thought about getting some and collapsing the 1/1 boxes, the only problem of course is the mini boxes are also expensive.

I keep my hot toys boxes and shippers, they've already proven useful through two moves, and they're higher quality then most other similar products.
Since I was a good lad last year I preordered the masterpiece transformers optimus prime mp-44 to open for Christmas.

I got it "cheap" for under $330 shipped, it retails for $450 plus these days and it literally shipped in a flimsy cardboard box with a flimsy plastic tray inside, that's all. $20 toys get packaged better.

Back