Elvis looks great!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know they resculpted Buffy's hair and they could resculpt Elvis' hair, but the complaints are about a lot more than just his hair. The whole choice of facial expression is controversial. A new paint job is not going to take away that goofy gleeful expression.

Have they ever completely resculpted a piece after being revealed to the public?

There are often changes between the prototype and the production piece, I just can't remember a time when the change was as major as a complete head resculpt.

tomandshell said:
I know they resculpted Buffy's hair and they could resculpt Elvis' hair, but the complaints are about a lot more than just his hair. The whole choice of facial expression is controversial. A new paint job is not going to take away that goofy gleeful expression.

Have they ever completely resculpted a piece after being revealed to the public?

I don't think so, but there's always a first time! After all, this is Elvis we're talking about!

lcummins said:
I don't think so, but there's always a first time! After all, this is Elvis we're talking about!

Yea, if you screw up the King, you can just kiss this line goodbye. I for one, won't be getting any more of these if they can't get the King right...

Sun Records Rockabilly Elvis ordered.

I have been slowly coming to the conclusion that most PFs, like most 1:6 figures, will need repaints. The PF paint quality is just not what it was with Dracula, or Mr. Spock, or Old Ben Kenobi, and truth be told, those paintjobs could still be improved. I thought the John Wayne paint was a real letdown. I keep looking at pictures of Frodo and thinking if the eyebrows were different and the eyes themselves done better, there's a better resemblance there.

Painting means yet another learning curve for me, but it is what it is. So now I'm looking through the paintjobs to the sculpt just as much as I can. From some angles this one does evoke E for me. Eye of the beholder and all that.

tomandshell said:
Is there a precedent for a PF going up for preorder, followed by a complete reculpting of the head? Because that's what this would take. I definitely don't see them changing it after a high profile announcement/reveal--this is the Elvis we're going to get.

Dave has seen the sculpt and said it was great so maybe they can tweak the paint apps but I doubt highly an approved sculpt will change at this point.

I hope we see an updated version at SDCC, if Sideshow does decide to make some changes to it.

I'm so conflicted, part of me says buy it anyways and hope for the best and deal with it if it doesn't improve. But the other part of me says why should I spend that much money on it when I'm not really satisfied with what I'm seeing?

I think if you cover up the mouth and nose the eyes are there, but my mom disagrees...and she's spent more time gazing at Elvis than I ever will. :lol

That might be the best PF exclusive ever. :google

It's just a shame that the head makes me want to punch small babies apart.

:monkey5

Well even if they tweak the sculpt alot, I still won't pick it up, it's just not an iconic enough outfit of his for me to bother. If it'd been the 68 comeback outfit, the Gold lame' jacket or even one of the 70's jumpsuits I probably would order one.

I really think that there are more issues with the sculpt than can be explained away by the paint.

(And if our hopes for an awesome Elvis ride upon the chances of a final assembly line production paint job being superior to the Sideshow in-house prototype paint job--however rushed--let me point you to a few dozen threads where that didn't happen!)

I just think he looks too happy, to the point of goofy silliness--and a new coat of paint isn't going to change him from Gomer Pyle into the King of Rock and Roll.

IrishJedi said:
That might be the best PF exclusive ever. :google

KISS should've come with instruments instead of an extra base. Gene's axe bass is so iconic, it would've made for a cool exclusive.

The guitar is a nice touch for the exclusive. The face just doesn't seem right which brings down a really nice piece for me.

Darth Waller said:
KISS should've come with instruments instead of an extra base. Gene's axe bass is so iconic, it would've made for a cool exclusive.
Yes, I so agree! Remember that phrase they always had on their albums: KISS uses Gibson guitars because "they want the best"... Cool! Only that Gene's axe bass was a Luthiers... Doh! Still, they rock! (Do they? I mean, are they still alive?? :rotfl)

I'm really disappointed with that sculpt.

It doesn't say 'Elvis' to me at all. He was all pouting and sultry at that point not hopped up on speed and grinning like a fool.

GREAT exclusive though...

tomandshell said:
If they make a Johnny Cash PF and the exclusive has a guitar, you all had better stay out of my way...

Same here. I'll fight you for it! :p

BTW, anything less than Cash as he was during the Folsom Prison show would be a crime. (pun purely intended, of course)

abstractharmony said:
It doesn't say 'Elvis' to me at all. He was all pouting and sultry at that point not hopped up on speed and grinning like a fool.

Young Elvis was so controversial because of his unprecedented sultry sexuality on stage. He brought out such strange new feelings in America's sheltered young ladies!!! Can you imagine getting so turned on that you throw your underwear at this guy?

elvisfacenp0.jpg

I would be more inclined to throw him a box of this:

0012547636345.JPG

Back