Egypt

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfoga

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have wanted to visit Egypt for as long as I can remember. I was thinking of taking a trip sometime next year and Egypt was one of the things high on my list.

I am looking to see if it really worth it, I have one friend who has been who said it wasnt nearly as cool as you think it would be. She well traveled and made start to think is it really worth it?

Anyone been recently? (last 5 or so years)

How accessible are the sites?( only look from distance, tours inside etc.. I cant seem to find what the tours seem to include and seem pricey for just walking around outside)

Did you take tours or go on your own?

Thanks in advance.

My wife went years ago and loved it. But she's a history buff and was interested in the culture. This may or may not be useful:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7gL9ofxl0g[/ame]

:lol

Yes! I was thinking of "An Idiot Abroad" when I read the thread for some reason...

Have a safe trip if you wind up going. World travel has always been a dream of mine, but limited funds keep it out of reach.

Friends of ours happened to be there on tour earlier this year as the Mubarak government fell. They were scared spitless when they became surrounded by protestors in the streets. But shopkeepers (who were quickly shutting down and battening their stores) pulled them inside and told them that they should be kept out of harms' way.

From everyone who's been there, a guided tour package seems to be the most ideal. But it's pricey. Egypt has also been on my bucket list since Egyptology has been one of my passions since a teen. But I'm waiting until stuff settles down. Below is link to some of the things available. You may not necessarily want to use this company, but it'll give you some ideas?

https://www.viator.com/Middle-East-and-Africa/d1-ttd

The funny thing is the first part is like any tourist area once you acknowledge them, they turn into feeding sharks.

I travel a lot for work and have spent over a month in Europe over two trips so I have the ins and outs of travel pretty much down.

Friends of ours happened to be there on tour earlier this year as the Mubarak government fell. They were scared spitless when they became surrounded by protestors in the streets. But shopkeepers (who were quickly shutting down and battening their stores) pulled them inside and told them that they should be kept out of harms' way.
Things have been getting a bit dicey there once again, since the military hasn't lived up to its promises to allow democratically elected officials to take over (shocker, right?).

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/11/...over-killings.html?_r=1&scp=3&sq=egypt&st=cse

From everyone who's been there, a guided tour package seems to be the most ideal. But it's pricey. Egypt has also been on my bucket list since Egyptology has been one of my passions since a teen. But I'm waiting until stuff settles down. Below is link to some of the things available. You may not necessarily want to use this company, but it'll give you some ideas?

Yeah the government situation will be a huge factor if I go. I had been hoping to make the trip a part of a trip to Saudi Arabia for work, but that trip has been talked about for over a year and still never finalized so I am not waiting. Yeah I have been very interested in ancient sites most my life and have been lucky enough to have been to Rome twice. Greece and Egypt are two places I still really want to visit. I had been searching around travel sites but they all seem to give little details about access to sites. Price is not always the biggest factor since the biggest cost (flight /hotels) can be free as long as I can find Hilton Hotels so I can spend more on doing things.

I've always wanted to go, but there's no way I'm traveling anywhere in the Middle East these days.

I haven't been and always wanted to go, and my friend said it was great but advised me not to go in summer.

Egypt is #1 on my hitlist... but the political tensions are keeping me from pursuing it. Hopefully w/in my lifetime things will calm down and I can see the pyramids and the Valley of the Kings.

Back in 2003/04 My friend and I back-packed around Europe for 12 months. It was one of the best experiance of my life.
I went to Egypt, just for a day trip to see the vally of the kings.
It's quite nice but like in the video on the previouse page you do get disapointed by all the rubish/junk just laying around there that you don't expect to see.
I caught a pherry to Egypt from Cyprus where I was DJing for a couple of months in the summer.

I'm in Egypt as I write this. It was a long long time of planning, since before the government fell, and we decided not to change pour plans.

It IS worth it.

But a few things to consider.

The tourists are hear, but not in the numbers that they usually are. From talking to locals, tourism is about 10 - 30% of normal, which means you can actually DO things, and see things that you normally may get frustrated at. You can actually walk through the valley of the kings without pushing through crowds. Take pictures without hundreds of people in the way.

And the tourists are slowly returning. There are still protestors, but they are primarily only in Cairo. And the areas where the tourists go is 'safe' for a given definition of safe.

Vendors. With tourism down, that means that the economy is suffering. BADLY. The vendors will do ANYTHING if it means you will pay them. Be careful. But it also means you can get some nice deals on good quality souvenirs. If you are careful. The items you see the vendors hawking at various sops is generally cheap crap.

Take a Nile Cruise as part of your stay. We flew from Cairo to Aswan, and took a cruise from Aswan to Luxor. There are several stops. Many temples to visit, and we ended at the Valley of Kings. It is well, well worth it.

We will be hitting the museum tomorrow (Hopefully) and then spending a couple days in Sharm el Shiek to relax a bit.

Things to note:

Take a camera. With longs of battery power and spare memory cards. There are so many things to take pictures of.

Use a tour company. Not cheap, but worth it. They will pick you up from the airport, take you to your hotel, and make sure you have a good trip. Their reputation depends on it. They'll even ask if there is anything you want to do, and take you to reputable stores for those Egyptian goods.

Bring cash,. SMALL bills. If you aren't changing to Egyptian pounds, brings 1 dollar bills. You will need to tip your driver, your tour guides, etc etc. And a lot of things don't cost much, things tend to be cheap.

DP NOT RENT A CAR. Get a driver if you are not using a tour company. Drivers in Egypt are insane. Defensive driving does not exist. Don't even think about it. Imagine how you fell when someone cuts you off on the highway. Imagine EVERYONE is doing that to each other.

If you have more questions, I'll try to answer. I feel it is worth it to visit Egypt. I'm going to spend a total of two weeks here.. I could spend another two weeks, and still not see a fraction of everything there is here.

^^Thanks, good information there. :cool:

A couple things:

FOr the tour company, make sure it is an Egyptian Tour company. They need the referrals to keep in business. A 'general' tour coumpany likely won't care as much.

For the cruise, make sure it is a 5 star cruise. More comfortable, better boat. We did a 4 day/3 night cruise. Try for a 5 day/4 night. Less hectic.

Thanks, I will probably hit you up for more info but I will let you enjoy you trip.

Back