Prop eFX TIE Fighter

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC_0350-1.jpg

Oh, my dear, sweet and fluffy lord... :clap :goodpost:

It looks so good next to the X-Wing. Now mine looks a bit lonely. :monkey2

Is this sold out or still avaliable for purchase? Thanks!

There are a few shops still carrying it, do a search and move fast. Not to forget Vader helmets there are a TON out there, studio scale TIE Fighters there are only the Icons (quite obsolete) and eFX versions, not counting the very rare and expensive original Niessen kits.

So i almost had a heart attack coming home when the doorman handed me the efx box, i didnt even know it was shipped.

Before my review, here's a disclaimer that I am NOT a prop collector and have little experience with models/replicas.

My overall reaction was 3 years of waiting and "this is it?" It further affirms my decision to never have anything to do with efx going forward.

Here are a list of cons:

1) The parts are all plasticy and not perfect fits, for a $1000 model I was expecting precision metal cut & fit at least on par with the $300 code 3 models.

2) The two covers for the wings are basically completely plastic, the idea is you use them to plug the hole where the screws for the wings are, except they do not fit into the hole easily or precisely. So imagine trying to force this tiny fragile plastic with little carvings all over it into the hole, right now it still has large gaps as I am afraid of breaking it if using any more force. See second to last photo, difficult to show but the gap is very noticeable.

3) The back cover for the battery is the same deal, although this one fits without gap, it's plastic and feels cheap, you have to force it in. Not an effortless precision fit like code3 models.

4) The way the wings attach to the body is horrible, the wings has all those tiny plastic carvings on it, and you suppose to screw the damn thing into the body making sure it's aligned and not to break any of the carvings on the wing, I had to screw check screw check etc..to make sure nothing was breaking.

5) The cockpit including the pilot was completely unpainted (is this some sort of screen accurate thing or did they just forgot to paint it).

6) The front lighting does not light up, only back (again is it some sort of screen accurate thing or not have it)

7) The cockpit does not have glass/acrylic cover, it's basically just a frame, i imagine it will get pretty windy for the pilot. Same question screen accurate or?

Overall i just dont feel it's worth $1000, maybe my expectation was completely off as I was expecting a high precision-fit metal cast tie fighter. Instead I got a mostly plastic model like from those put together kits, and the parts do not fit precisely. Also all those tiny details on the wings are all made from plastic, i suggest you guys look it over carefully, mine already has a few falling off/chipped.

Only impressive thing about this model is the studio scale as I never had anything so big, other than that it's meh at best. Still trying to figure out what to do with it.

ps if you guys can answer some of my questions in the above points it will be appreciated, i am curious.

tie1.jpg

tie2.jpg

tie3.jpg

tie4.jpg

tie5.jpg

tie6.jpg

tie7.jpg

tie8.jpg

tie9.jpg

tie10.jpg

So i almost had a heart attack coming home when the doorman handed me the efx box, i didnt even know it was shipped.

Before my review, here's a disclaimer that I am NOT a prop collector and have little experience with models/replicas.

My overall reaction was 3 years of waiting and "this is it?" It further affirms my decision to never have anything to do with efx going forward.

Here are a list of cons:

1) The parts are all plasticy and not perfect fits, for a $1000 model I was expecting precision metal cut & fit at least on par with the $300 code 3 models.

2) The two covers for the wings are basically completely plastic, the idea is you use them to plug the hole where the screws for the wings are, except they do not fit into the hole easily or precisely. So imagine trying to force this tiny fragile plastic with little carvings all over it into the hole, right now it still has large gaps as I am afraid of breaking it if using any more force. See second to last photo, difficult to show but the gap is very noticeable.

3) The back cover for the battery is the same deal, although this one fits without gap, it's plastic and feels cheap, you have to force it in. Not an effortless precision fit like code3 models.

4) The way the wings attach to the body is horrible, the wings has all those tiny plastic carvings on it, and you suppose to screw the damn thing into the body making sure it's aligned and not to break any of the carvings on the wing, I had to screw check screw check etc..to make sure nothing was breaking.

5) The cockpit including the pilot was completely unpainted (is this some sort of screen accurate thing or did they just forgot to paint it).

6) The front lighting does not light up, only back (again is it some sort of screen accurate thing or not have it)

7) The cockpit does not have glass/acrylic cover, it's basically just a frame, i imagine it will get pretty windy for the pilot. Same question screen accurate or?

Overall i just dont feel it's worth $1000, maybe my expectation was completely off as I was expecting a high precision-fit metal cast tie fighter. Instead I got a mostly plastic model like from those put together kits, and the parts do not fit precisely. Also all those tiny details on the wings are all made from plastic, i suggest you guys look it over carefully, mine already has a few falling off/chipped.

Only impressive thing about this model is the studio scale as I never had anything so big, other than that it's meh at best. Still trying to figure out what to do with it.

ps if you guys can answer some of my questions in the above points it will be appreciated, i am curious.

That is accurate. This is a prop replica ad not an idealized statue, it is made to closely replicate the screen used props.

That is accurate. This is a prop replica ad not an idealized statue, it is made to closely replicate the screen used props.

Agreed but I'm with him on this one, and granted I'm not a replica collector but a statue collector. I just don't feel that for me it's worth $1K.

Have to say, reading gagaliya's post makes me realize that I'm definitely more interested in idealized versions of these ships as opposed to prop replicas. In retrospect, it's a good thing I was not in a position to pre-order this at the time as I would not have understood the difference and would've been annoyed with some of the same things (open cockpit, TIE pilot, etc.). Gagaliya's description of having to force the parts is also sobering, given the price. I can only imagine the frustration if one happened to apply too much pressure forcing some piece into place or twisting the screw driver one rotation too many and having something break or create a stress line. That said, it does look great in pictures and Rook's set up especially (with both TIE and X-Wing) looks fantastic.

I have not received mine but this is my take on it.

$1000 is not that expansive when the closest kit will cost you around $500 to $600 and then if you had to pay someone to build and paint it you could add another $1000 or more to that and then you still don’t get the stand plaques etc that come with the EFX.

I think all studio scale kits will be made from resin or plastic as im sure if this was made with steel the cost would be more like $10,000

As for it not having any glass etc im sure that EFX has always advertised this as a studio scale replica so that is not there fault that a few of us do not understand what that means.

I know EFX has taken there time on this and other things but im sure it was so we got the most accurate SS model possible for the cost.

Have to say, reading gagaliya's post makes me realize that I'm definitely more interested in idealized versions of these ships as opposed to prop replicas. In retrospect, it's a good thing I was not in a position to pre-order this at the time as I would not have understood the difference and would've been annoyed with some of the same things (open cockpit, TIE pilot, etc.). Gagaliya's description of having to force the parts is also sobering, given the price. I can only imagine the frustration if one happened to apply too much pressure forcing some piece into place or twisting the screw driver one rotation too many and having something break or create a stress line. That said, it does look great in pictures and Rook's set up especially (with both TIE and X-Wing) looks fantastic.

yes it was certainly a surprise to me and i am sure some of the newbies as well buying this replica, but in all honesty i can respect the unpainted/missing glass once understood the reasoning to be 100% screen accurate.

However the cheap feel of the pieces is a much bigger disappointment to me at least. Not everything has to be metal, but it should be made to feel highend when you place a cover over the ship it should fit precisely and effortlessly (possibly some kind of magnet connection etc..), especially considering how fragile those pieces are. How is it ever a good idea to use metal screw on fragile plastic/polystone wing with tiny carved details all over the place, or force a very tight plastic cap again carved with many details into the hole.

Maybe i am just spoiled by code 3's replicas.

Is there a certain way the caps should go on?
The top and bottom are just a bit different.
Is there a screen accurate way they should go?
I got one of the wings on, but the other just isnt going on.

Is there a certain way the caps should go on?
The top and bottom are just a bit different.
Is there a screen accurate way they should go?
I got one of the wings on, but the other just isnt going on.

no idea, i tried both up and down, couldnt get either one of the plastic cap to fit properly. everything is going back in the box.

this is a meh...moving right along....

Last edited:
It seems there are some problems with connecting the wings and the caps on these things. I hope they get sorted out and not to need another Vader helmet "replacement program"...

Back