eFX Darth Vader A NEW HOPE Helmet!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are everyone's thoughts on the new EFX Vader up for sale on Sideshow? Is it worth the price? I'm unfamiliar with helmets in general, but I thought getting this to pair with my premium format would look nice.

What are everyone's thoughts on the new EFX Vader up for sale on Sideshow? Is it worth the price? I'm unfamiliar with helmets in general, but I thought getting this to pair with my premium format would look nice.

That is eFX's PCR helmet. It's actually really good. It's plastic, very light, but sitting on a stand it's an eye magnet.

Here it is next to the Limited fiberglass one they put out a few years back.
IMG_7745.jpg

& this will give you an idea of what it'll look like next your PF
IMG_8255.jpg

Awesome Rusty. Thank you for that! It looks amazing together. Yea I saw that there was a fiberglass version prior to this, but I'm not too chuffed about the material it's made from being the "authentic" prop material, so I'm ok with the plastic as I'm only using it for looks on display anyway.

Great pic btw!

Do you just need a paper towel holder, and maybe a piece of cloth to put between of the top of the holder and the helmet to soften the contact point? Or do you have to have a ball of some sort to get the helmet to sit on the holder?

I've read a lot of people actually using a styrofoam ball. Me, however, I use a wooden helmet stand I got from a mail order catalog. I ordered a bunch from them, a few years ago, in anticipation of incoming eFX & ANOVOS helmets.

Do you just need a paper towel holder, and maybe a piece of cloth to put between of the top of the holder and the helmet to soften the contact point? Or do you have to have a ball of some sort to get the helmet to sit on the holder?

It all depends on how secure you want the helmet to be on the stand. Originally I just cut an "x" in a tennis ball and shoved it over the top of my paper towel holder. Then I set the Vader helmet down over that. It worked, but was extremely unstable and the mask would wobble, spin, and swing around quite wildly at the slightest disturbance. I decided I wanted it to be pretty rock solid so I came up with a custom fit that you can see pictures of a couple pages back. My helmet is now very secure and I've got no worries of it falling or getting damaged. The styrofoam ball I used was $20 but hobby lobby always has a 40% off one item coupon on their website, so it was really only $12.

If you don't want to go to quite that much effort you could get a smaller styrofoam ball and not have to cut it down. It wouldn't be as secure (more akin to plopping the helmet on a hat stand), but it would be much better than a tennis ball. Or nothing.

Finished the stormtrooper stand! Used a slightly smaller styrofoam ball (7.something inches) and it fit perfectly with no cutting required. I did have to lop about two inches off the top of the paper towel holder with a reciprocating saw to get the helmet to sit down at a decent looking height. Could not be happier with how these turned out!

57094CBE-BA72-4B1F-BC60-BA4E35D6936C_zpsdhnyyzuc.jpg
00EB9977-9BCC-4FAF-ACD0-D4E376575329_zps5gxnvxdz.jpg
694370F8-4977-42F4-8299-6420A6EE7365_zpskqwhdomn.jpg
4120C70C-CD57-4090-85BA-034DC3E6308E_zpsmg2qss63.jpg

I know you're being facetious (kinda...), but I'm actually quite happy with the PCR trooper. Unlike Vader, I'm not super obsessive about stormtroopers and while I know it's cleaned up and symmetrical, I couldn't point out the inaccuracies without going and looking them up (sometimes ignorance is bliss). Plus it was easily available and in a price range I could actually afford.

Back