eFX Darth Vader A NEW HOPE Helmet!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you looked into the Quasimodo helmets? Fan-made, certainly less "accurate" in technical terms than something like the fiberglass EFX, not to mention the SL, but all the pics I've seen of them look really nice. So nice in fact that I've thought for a while about replacing my EFX Limited for one. More info should be available on the various forums like the RPF, or just google "Quasimodo Vader helmet." Comes in ANH, ESB, and ROTJ flavors, I think.

Have you looked into the Quasimodo helmets? Fan-made, certainly less "accurate" in technical terms than something like the fiberglass EFX, not to mention the SL, but all the pics I've seen of them look really nice. So nice in fact that I've thought for a while about replacing my EFX Limited for one. More info should be available on the various forums like the RPF, or just google "Quasimodo Vader helmet." Comes in ANH, ESB, and ROTJ flavors, I think.
That's the one I'm looking for too.
From my brief research, I think you need to be a forum member with a certain minimum post count before you can order one.
I'd like to get a Quasi ESB Vader.

I know which helmets you're talking about. They look pretty good. I might consider picking one up, but I'm still hoping to find an EFX Limited edition.

I have the eFX Limited, & I love it! It truly is a thing of beauty. I also lust after the Quasimodo ESB so badly, that it haunts my dreams. I am a member on the RPF, & one day it will be mine. I've come close to ordering it a few times already. However, it never fails that just before I place my order, something expensive breaks :gah:

Meanwhile, my dreams continue to be haunted.

Even if i'm not a hardcore fan of the franchise, i thought several times to buy one from Quasimodo. Even if it is not the most accurate in terms of cast lineage, in terms of beauty, presence and mood it surpases everything! It captured all the essence of the character for almost the half price of à EFX fiberglass now...

I wanted to better secure my helmet to the paper towel holder I use as a stand. I saw another user post pics of using styrofoam balls from hobby lobby. I was going to go that route when I came up with this idea. It sounded great but unfortunately the head is far too small for Vader's mask. To make it fit reasonably you have to add an inch to inch and a half of foam or something on top of the head. Also, you'd have to drill the hole in the neck deeper (not a big deal but worth noting) to make it sit at a reasonable height on the post. Oh well, it had a ton of potential. If you could find a larger styrofoam head (like a good inch or two larger diameter cranium) it would probably work fantastically.

But it's back to hobby lobby. Return the head and hopefully find a solid foam ball an inch or two bigger around than the head is...

841FD16F-5B5A-4EE3-8FF6-7C7CE9F2C304_zpsjh9dhhaq.jpg

D64F355B-0279-42C1-BC0A-213CF69E1870_zpsdksl70rp.jpg

3A43B41A-4C37-4C50-A146-67224A2EBD73_zpstuiqo6xy.jpg

Round two of securing Lord Vader to his paper towel holder turned helmet stand...

As cool as the foam head would've been, I should've known Darth would require a custom fit. It took a lot of trial and error. Hold it up, eyeball it, cut some more, test fit, repeat... but I'm very happy with the result. The helmet isn't going anywhere and it definitely doesn't wobble precariously just blowing dust off it like it used to. I feel much better about its longevity now! I used brown felt (random color that we happened to have in the house) to cover the foam because this was rather coarse styrofoam and I was afraid it might scratch the plastic.

8922F6F4-3E3B-437C-BF6A-403695C8E050_zps51tu7xqp.jpg

54D007F3-F9E3-4B3C-8928-2C3F2EA36366_zpszni9jnaa.jpg

73F03EF6-8EEB-4B7C-8B06-E6BEC81D5975_zpsj6obxcbx.jpg

62A81595-C5BA-47BC-B555-78E8F4AA5342_zps5e30s8o7.jpg

FB02098B-A09E-4F71-B7A6-B98FA55D4896_zpstltvj0gi.jpg

824E0079-B2D7-4596-A152-0F4FADC24E0C_zpscrieeji2.jpg

8591CFC4-D615-4741-8876-EBC3F010A4A4_zpsajyzdvvs.jpg

F9385FBA-D967-4B99-84F3-D4B0ABBD002B_zpsvwomaiae.jpg

673BBFD7-49C9-4504-BC20-1238097C4740_zpsar6y7s9g.jpg

2C01C4F1-915F-4CDF-8A7A-80AC818FDFE4_zpsvxgtcbkl.jpg

Nice work, but you do know that those styro-balls come in different sizes?

Looks like you picked up the largest size available.

But your custom job does look good and will definitely keep the helmet in place.

Yeah, the problem was, the ball the next size down they had in stock at the store wasn't any bigger than the foam head. So I bought the big ball and then shaved it down into roughly the shape of an human head, just one that's actually big enough to fit the helmet. I wanted something that fit the helmet properly so I could actually strap the mask on securely and eliminate any wobbles or free-swinging. And that's exactly what I ended up with :yess::vader

Back