eFX Darth Vader A NEW HOPE Helmet!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, Gino... I could tell you just finished painting the masters right before SDCC... because I smelled the fresh paint (especially early on Wednesday). :lol Good job, sir. :duff

That was a great SMELL...I wanted to take it home that night...

Repeated for love.

Hey guys,

Seeing as the majority of the pics of these paint masters were taken under less than perfect conditions at the con, I thought I'd share some of the pics I took of them before I sent them to San Diego. Note the correct dome positioning. :happy

Hope you like them!

PS, yes of course the right tusk will ultimately have the black weathered paint. These tusks were just stand-ins delivered directly to San Diego the day of the con.

accurate version:

brush1.JPG

brush2.JPG

brush3.JPG

brush4.JPG

idealized version

spray1.JPG

spray2.JPG

spray3.JPG

Having both Gino and Jez (StarWarsHelmets) working on this helmet could make it the ultimate Vader collectible, way above the SS bust or CM Vader statue (not that a comparison is fair, since it's apples and oranges).

That's a great compliment.
PS, Jez is not working on this helmet.

Hey guys,

Seeing as the majority of the pics of these paint masters were taken under less than perfect conditions at the con, I thought I'd share some of the pics I took of them before I sent them to San Diego. Note the correct dome positioning. :happy

Hope you like them!

PS, yes of course the right tusk will ultimately have the black weathered paint. These tusks were just stand-ins delivered directly to San Diego the day of the con.

accurate version:

brush1.JPG

brush2.JPG

brush3.JPG

brush4.JPG

idealized version

spray1.JPG

spray2.JPG

spray3.JPG

Thanks Gino! I have the Darth Vader Lifesize Bust but I'll get this too! Don't know which version yet...

they both look fantastic and I would get both if money and space were no issue. The price will play a large role in which version I purchase.

OMG, Why I like the hand painted version, EFX reproducing a perfectly imperfect paintjob everytime is improbable. Great job on both

Really awesome, but honestly can't justify $900 for a helmet when I already have the 1:1 bust.

I actually didn't see the pricetag on these helmets until now and I think I'll pass as I have the 1:1 and don't see me spending another 1K dollars on a Vader Helmet, even if is the definitive one... well time and money will tell...

Lovely. Idealized for me I think, as I have no interest in seeing blemishes and marks that I never even noticed on screen anyway.

This is the shot that does it for me... Incredible!

brush2.JPG

Darth_Vader-Tantive_IV.jpg

FINALLY! THE Vader mask I've been waiting for since 1977!

Anyone want my 1997 Don Post Deluxe? I won't be needing that any more!

The message posted by Bryan from eFX at Rebelscum and RPF:

First, I would like to thank everyone for their interest in our ANH Vader helmets. I really appreciate the passion and knowledge that many of you have shared with us on many of the forums.

I would like to share some insight into the prototypes that we had on display at Comic Con and will be on display at Celebration V in a couple weeks.

- These castings were made by our vendor in Asia. However, because of the time constraint, they had to take Gino's master, make the mold and the castings in only 4 days. Since this is the first time that they were casting the Vader helmet, they did not know and "understand" the helmet and address and refine any of the molding processes and techniques that would be required. For example in the mouth area, they wanted to help by cutting it out for us. They actually used a dremel with a large diameter bit to cut it out. That is why the mouth area seems a little "sloppy" and have the large radii in the corners! So rest assured that all of these issues will be resolved in the manufacturing development process.

- The same set of molds were used to make both versions of the helmets. In production, QC will ensure that the castings are consistent.

- The castings were then sent to Gino and he also only had 4 days to prep the castings and paint them in order to get them to San Diego in time for Comic Con. We received them in San Diego the morning of preview night! I think Gino did a GREAT job considering the limited time that he had. I know that he was "a little" frustrated that he was not able to "fix" the issues with these castings and make them perfect.

- 2 RPF'ers were kind enough to supply us with the tusks and the mesh. Both were sent directly to us in San Diego, so Gino did not get a chance to weather one of the tusks.

- Some of you questioned why we showed these helmets, knowing some of the issues. You have to remember the incredible exposure our products get at an event like Comic Con. And I understand that probably more than 95% of the people will not be able to identify the issues we discuss in the forums. In fact, most people (even Star Wars fans) do not even know that Vader's helmet was different in each episode. And then, when we fix all of the issues that us prop guys obsess over in final production, they will not even notice or appreciate the difference. I learned an enlightening lesson when I was at Master Replicas. We advertised the FX Lightsabers by character, episode, etc. However most people, believe it or not, simply identified and purchased them by the color of the blade, not even knowing that each character had a different hilt! (It was then that I realized that we are just a bunch of snobs!!! hahaha!)

We will be sharing pictures through the development process on our website and appreciate your patience as we work through the development process. I am confident that the final product will not only meet your expectations, but will be one of your most prized pieces in your collection.

Thanks!

Bryan

If it was between the Sideshow 1:1 Bust and one of these, I'd drop the bust in a milisecond. Not even close.

If it was between the Sideshow 1:1 Bust and one of these, I'd drop the bust in a milisecond. Not even close.

Me too, I'm glad I got the SS bust (excepting the Shaw head), but the ultimate Vader item to own will be the EFX Vader helmet ANH for now.

Hey Irish, at the SW display at the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center, can you take pictures as long as you don't use a flash?

not sure the comparison is fair. Most of us, I would suggest, will be displaying the bust with the shaw head, which adds a completely different element that efx can't compete with.

yes, the efx helmet will be awesome, but frankly, so is the SS bust imho.

not sure the comparison is fair. Most of us, I would suggest, will be displaying the bust with the shaw head, which adds a completely different element that efx can't compete with.

yes, the efx helmet will be awesome, but frankly, so is the SS bust imho.

Bust is full of inaccuracies and the Shaw "likeness" is crap.

Bust is full of inaccuracies and the Shaw "likeness" is crap.

i don't own the SST Vader bust, but think the Shaw likeness is quite good... i see it as Vader in his prime... idealized i suppose.

i can't imagine anyone wanting the bust to have reflected the dying old man...

Back