Ebola scaring anyone?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who's afraid?

• Yes

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 65 68.4%
  • Whatever

Votes: 12 12.6%

• Total voters
Longer than I'd expected according to: Ebolavirus - Pathogen Safety Data Sheets

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C) Footnote 52 Footnote 61. One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote 61. In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20 and 250C and 30–40% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) Footnote 53. When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days Footnote 61. This information is based on experimental findings only and not based on observations in nature. This information is intended to be used to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting.

...and: Interim Guidance for Environmental Infection Control in Hospitals for Ebola Virus | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

Limited laboratory studies under favorable conditions indicate that Ebolavirus can remain viable on solid surfaces, with concentrations falling slowly over several days.

H1n1 and now this. Cant wait to see what the new apocalyptic disease of the week might be. Maybe the common cold

If I slipped and fell in someone's vomit, **** and piss a couple times a day a couple of times a week- some of it getting in my mouth/open wound/eyeball each time - than yes, I would panic.

:panic:

ef03569e53df52dbfb5405ad1102430f.jpg

"15 minutes could save you 15% or more on ....
Everyone knows that.
Yea but do you know that Vampires are immune to ebola?" - GEICO

Longer than I'd expected according to: Ebolavirus - Pathogen Safety Data Sheets

Awesome. Thank you. This was what I was looking for:

In a follow up study, Ebolavirus was found, relative to other enveloped viruses, to be quite sensitive to inactivation by ultraviolet light and drying; yet sub-populations did persist in organic debris.2

In the only study to assess contamination of the patient care environment during an outbreak, conducted in an African hospital under "real world conditions", virus was not detected by either nucleic acid amplification or culture in any of 33 samples collected from sites that were not visibly bloody. Virus was detected on a blood-stained glove and bloody intravenous insertion site by nucleic acid amplification, which may detect non-viable virus, but not by culture for live, infectious virus.

Air and sunlight will kill it unless it has organic matter to reside within.

Also:

Ebola viruses are transmitted through direct contact with blood or body fluids/substances (e.g., urine, feces, vomit) of an infected person with symptoms or through exposure to objects (such as needles) that have been contaminated with infected blood or body fluids.

And:

There is no epidemiologic evidence of Ebolavirus transmission via either the environment or fomites that could become contaminated during patient care (e.g., bed rails, door knobs, laundry). However, given the apparent low infectious dose, potential of high virus titers in the blood of ill patients, and disease severity, higher levels of precaution are warranted to reduce the potential risk posed by contaminated surfaces in the patient care environment.

My first job was as a janitor in a hospital and the procedures for cleaning a room where a patient died of AIDS are essentially the same. Unless you're getting spit or sweat (from an infected person manifesting symptoms) in an open wound, you need direct contact with blood or excrement to catch this disease.

Last edited:
where's the part where you put a bullet in the head of an infected to remedy it?

am i watching the wrong movie?

where's the part where you put a bullet in the head of an infected to remedy it?

My 14 year old niece asked her mom the other day why they don't just shoot people with ebola. :lol

She was kidding, but my sister ripped her a new one for even making the joke. Then I laughed when I heard the story, and asked how could you tell she was a Walking Dead fan. Then my sister ripped me a new one.

:monkey2

I'm not scared, because since like 1996, whenever I see this word I think of it to the tune of the Ricola ads.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBBBOOOOLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

True story.

Back