Ebay woes... Please click if you own a Phantom of the Opera PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzfan84

Super Freak
Reaction score
So, what I thought was a great deal turned out to be a nightmare!

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=260682866454&si=0JquD5Ze5IT9h7aA12V0gVdm9OQ%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_5302wt_1869

$135 shipped seemed like a great deal for this PF. However, when it arrived, there was a chip in the right foot. Inspecting the auction pictures more closely, I could tell it was like that in their possession. They offered me a $15 refund, and I accepted.

PB033316.jpg

PB033317.jpg

Computerfly gave me detailed instructions on how to repair the chipped foot. So I went out and spent almost $40 on materials and I've begun to repair it. It looks like it's coming out very nice so far.

But then I rummage through the box, looking for the secret compartment in the foam for the cape, AND THERE'S NO CAPE! Now the seller says basically that they already gave me $15 back, and If I want I could send it back for a refund--less all shipping. $40 (on supplies)-$15 (refund)= -$25. Shipping both ways would be about $60-70. That puts me out $85 before they refund me $85. I'll be making nothing, and they'll be getting a repaired statue!

So anyways, Here's the question for people who own one.

Do you think you could trace the cape for me, so I could attempt to make one of my own? Any details you could provide would be great.

I know this one is much less likely, but why not ask? Does anyone have a broken statue, who wouldn't mind selling just the cape?

Thanks for reading! :)

Did the auction describe the statue as incomplete?

Does an Item Not as Described claim require the seller or the buyer to pay return shipping?

Master Wayne, I've begun the repair process and it's coming out great. When I'm done with it, you won't even be able to notice it.

Devil, the auction does not describe it as incomplete. If I do item not as described, I'll get back the initial shipping, but I'll have to pay to send it back. Because I put the money into the repairs, I'm hoping to make a replacement cape.

If anyone has a cape, please consider helping me out. All I need is a clear template to work with. I think I can get comparable fabric. I'll take my Dracula cape to a fabric store and look for a match.

the ebay buyer protection covers you. File a compliant with Paypal. Mail the item back to the seller with delivery confirmation. Then contact ebay and tell them you returned the item, supply them with the delivery confirmation number and you will be refunded.

Anton, silly me didn't realize the cape wasn't in there until after I began the investment in the repair of the foot. I'd rather just try to make my own cape.

You have a Phantom PF, right? Would you mid tracing it to me and mailing me the template? Or just scanning it so it prints out the exact size? :D Let me know if you can help.

Somebody here must have one of these. Please hook me up with a template! :D

Anton, silly me didn't realize the cape wasn't in there until after I began the investment in the repair of the foot. I'd rather just try to make my own cape.

You have a Phantom PF, right? Would you mid tracing it to me and mailing me the template? Or just scanning it so it prints out the exact size? :D Let me know if you can help.

I would, but the arms are not flexible in the least, and mine was already dressed and on display when I bought got him from a (now defunct) Sideshow retailer. Anyone else out there brave enough to attempt to undress the Phantom for Ozzy? I'm too chicken.:peace

i'm sorry to see about the cape, but I can't believe it cost you $40 to fix the foot when all you needed was a $5 tube of modeling filler and 50 cent tube of black paint. You could have even just painted it black without fixing it and you'd never notice.

Seriously $40? Did that include a power sander or something?

Last edited:
I would, but the arms are not flexible in the least, and mine was already dressed and on display when I bought got him from a (now defunct) Sideshow retailer. Anyone else out there brave enough to attempt to undress the Phantom for Ozzy? I'm too chicken.:peace

The arms go through the cape? If so, I'm really in trouble. It won't even be worth attempting.

It looks here like it just hangs over it and it's a clasp on the top like Dracula, no?

review_phantom18_4.jpg

review_phantom18_large.jpg

Anyways, even if it's not, I don't want you to do something you're uncomfortable with. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could trace me a template, though! :D

i'm sorry to see about the cape, but I can't believe it cost you $40 to fix the foot when all you needed was a $5 tube of modeling filler and 50 cent tube of black paint. You could have even just painted it black without fixing it and you'd never notice.

Seriously $40? Did that include a power sander or something?

img044.jpg

I wanted to do it right. I needed ALL of the materials, as listed above. And I got the Tamiya paint that Sideshow recommends. Now, you could say that I made the investment to be able to do future repairs like this--because I have a lot of stuff leftover and supplies. Or you could say that I'd never have had to buy all those supplies in the first place if I didn't need to fix it...

ouch man. i would have went with the putty and a cheaper paint because you could apply the putty without the file and knife by just using your finger. ah well. i'm sure it will look nice.

img044.jpg

I wanted to do it right. I needed ALL of the materials, as listed above. And I got the Tamiya paint that Sideshow recommends. Now, you could say that I made the investment to be able to do future repairs like this--because I have a lot of stuff leftover and supplies. Or you could say that I'd never have had to buy all those supplies in the first place if I didn't need to fix it...

What's a "K+S430 NEEDLE FILE ASS?" :horror

I had to file it down because it was mighty torn up after getting screwed over on ebay once again!

Hello,

I am a huge Universal Monster fan and I love to collect Universal Monster items. I recently got a SSE Bride of Frankenstein off of ebay. The figure came broken and without a base. I have a new rule: no real pictures no bids from me.

I feel bad for you because the phantom is a sharp figure. I wish I had one to help you out with.

Good Luck

Back